GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Replacement - 2015 GTI MK7

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Sorry, should have clarified. I bought the cobb tuner but run the specialized tune from "Maperformance", they are pretty reputable and I haven't heard of any issues with their tune.

actually MAPerformance is ALSO known for grenading engines. Have you ever logged your engine’s operations before this occurred? I would have been willing to bet you were seeing 3 degrees or more timing pull throughout the rev band

spacewill

actually MAPerformance is ALSO known for grenading engines. Have you ever logged your engine’s operations before this occurred? I would have been willing to bet you were seeing 3 degrees or more timing pull throughout the rev band
Well damn, that sucks. No, never logged it. To be honest I was a passive modder so I didn't really spend too much time on it after the tune. If I would have known a new engine was $11K to $18K I probably would not have modded it.

Last edited:

spacewill

Hello All,

Unfortunately I will have to replace the engine on my 2015 GTI with 98K miles. VW dealer wants $11K for used and $18K for new. A local shop wants about $8K for used engine with 60K miles. I've seen I can probably buy an engine for about $3K so I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with changing their engine. I've never done it on one of the newer cars (worked on engines of older 80s and below cars with father). Is this something that should be doable by someone mechanically inclined or are there unique items with it that would make it not worth my time. I was thinking of making it a project with my 14 year old if it's relatively straight forward. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Will
Back to the original question; thanks for those who have provided some thoughts. Is this engine change any more difficult or complicated than others? I figure knowing VW they throw in some magic dust that only they have access to. Do y'all know if the engine comes out the top or drops out of the bottom?

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
I did it on my 15, took about a day plus a couple hours in my driveway, the 35k mile motor costed my 3100. I put about 6k on it and traded it in. The job wasn’t too bad though.

Attachments

• 7C674396-D2BD-4D12-AAB1-2FC0F43548F1.jpeg
    7C674396-D2BD-4D12-AAB1-2FC0F43548F1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 362
  • 4B916C0D-1A96-4026-BE3B-D7D128481FD9.jpeg
    4B916C0D-1A96-4026-BE3B-D7D128481FD9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 355
  • 29B1A664-8CEF-4CD6-B676-9A8BB74AC4EC.jpeg
    29B1A664-8CEF-4CD6-B676-9A8BB74AC4EC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 367

spacewill

I did it on my 15, took about a day plus a couple hours in my driveway, the 35k mile motor costed my 3100. I put about 6k on it and traded it in. The job wasn’t too bad though.
Awesome, thanks! That's what I was thinking of doing too. I was actually wondering if I listed it for $4-$5K if someone with good mechanical skills would buy it. It's a solid car other than the small issue of, you know, bad engine. ha.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
Awesome, thanks! That's what I was thinking of doing too. I was actually wondering if I listed it for $4-$5K if someone with good mechanical skills would buy it. It's a solid car other than the small issue of, you know, bad engine. ha.
It was just never the same, I had 100 on my original motor, a launch control glitch allowed me to fry a piston ring, had a lot of fun though. I did motors on some old GM cars, just bolts and plugs.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Well damn, that sucks. No, never logged it. To be honest I was a passive modder so I didn't really spend too much time on it after the tune. If I would have known a new engine was $11K to $18K I probably would not have modded it.

Yeah man I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you’re not the first guy to post with similar symptoms requiring engine replacement who had a MAPerformance tune. Their tunes are hot garbage.

It’s not that tuning it was your issue - plenty of people are tuned without issue. It’s the tuner.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

You can definitely sell it with a blown engine. There was an identical thread a few months ago, blown engine with an MAPerformance tune, and if I recall the dude traded in to the dealer for like $8k as-is or something.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
If I would have known a new engine was $11K to $18K I probably would not have modded it.
They're not... dealers don't live in reality. For that price you could get a used 2019 from an independent sale, or a 2018 from a dealership.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I remember there being another post about MAPerformance blowing an engine. I do know when I ran the base Cobb Stage 1 91 tune I was seeing up to -4.5 degree of knock retard constantly. Running EQT which is much faster and the most I've seen is -2.25 and it's rare enough for me to not worry.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Does anyone have a good theory of why it seems to be always cylinder 1 that fails on these motors. There was another thread like 3 days ago with a motor failure due to 1.