GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Replacement - 2015 GTI MK7

spacewill

Hello All,

Unfortunately I will have to replace the engine on my 2015 GTI with 98K miles. VW dealer wants $11K for used and $18K for new. A local shop wants about $8K for used engine with 60K miles. I've seen I can probably buy an engine for about $3K so I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with changing their engine. I've never done it on one of the newer cars (worked on engines of older 80s and below cars with father). Is this something that should be doable by someone mechanically inclined or are there unique items with it that would make it not worth my time. I was thinking of making it a project with my 14 year old if it's relatively straight forward. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Will

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum.

You can certainly do it but it's a very big job. Especially getting all the hoses, vacuum lines, electrical connections etc hooked up properly.

spacewill

What happened to the motor?
Just got the engine EDM indicator. Took to a reputable repair shop who replaced the ignition coils a few times and figured out it was bigger than the coils and cables and then suggested I take to VW dealer. They did the pressure test and cylinder 1 was at 26PSI while 2, 3 and 4 were 170 to 175. So they're diagnosis was might be leaking in crankcase meaning piston rings or bores are probably out of spec. So by that they suggested engine replacement. First shop felt something was wrong with the bore too. So unfortunately the drama of needing a new engine.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Is a 2015 (pp or s model?) with 100k miles worth doing it on even at the low end of 11k?

spacewill

Is a 2015 (pp or s model?) with 100k miles worth doing it on even at the low end of 11k?
Not sure the difference between PP or S model..but it's the Mk7 2.0 turbo engine. I don't think doing it for $8K is really worth it cause, but if I can get an engine for $3K and make total costs around $4K then it's worth it cause everything else is in great shape.

ChrisP1

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
I experienced the same scenario with a 2015 GTI. It ended up being a broken intake valve spring. Not sure how deeply the dealership has investigated to this point on your side but maybe have them check with a boroscope to confirm it’s not an issue with the valves. With my issue an independent shop ended up replacing all the valve springs for a total of $2500-ish (including diagnosis). Good luck with sorting it out.

spacewill

I experienced the same scenario with a 2015 GTI. It ended up being a broken intake valve spring. Not sure how deeply the dealership has investigated to this point on your side but maybe have them check with a boroscope to confirm it’s not an issue with the valves. With my issue an independent shop ended up replacing all the valve springs for a total of $2500-ish (including diagnosis). Good luck with sorting it out.
Thanks. I was already $1200 in with VW and didn't want them to continue to steal my money as the only way to get credit for that spend was for them to credit it towards the $11K to $18K engine replacement. I like your suggestion and maybe I'll take to a local shop who has experience and can do it without the automatic dealer charge to fix nothing. The first shop I took it too was super good with not wanting to charge because they couldn't fix it and misdiagnosed it at first (no harm to me and cost them more money and me just time) but I respect that they would only charge if they fixed it. I'll call around to see if a shop around here specializes in GTIs and may be able to better diagnose without charging $500 for every next step like the dealer loves to do.

spacewill

Anyone in the Houston area who has a local shop you trust who I could reach out to and potentially further diagnose?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Symptoms leading up to this and mods?

spacewill

Symptoms leading up to this and mods?
Happened pretty quickly while driving back from Louisiana. Started sputtering while driving 70mph, EPC light came on at same time. I was 30 miles from home so I took it home and then to a shop 3 miles away. No physical mods but I did have a COBB Stage 1 tune. No issues or lights prior to this breakdown.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Happened pretty quickly while driving back from Louisiana. Started sputtering while driving 70mph, EPC light came on at same time. I was 30 miles from home so I took it home and then to a shop 3 miles away. No physical mods but I did have a COBB Stage 1 tune. No issues or lights prior to this breakdown.

oh no, you’ve been running the base Cobb Stage 1 tune on your otherwise stock GTI? That could be part of your issue. The base cobb maps are literal garbage and have been known to grenade engines. It’s very possible your engine was seeing detonation events due to the Cobb tune

spacewill

oh no, you’ve been running the base Cobb Stage 1 tune on your otherwise stock GTI? That could be part of your issue. The base cobb maps are literal garbage and have been known to grenade engines. It’s very possible your engine was seeing detonation events due to the Cobb tune
Sorry, should have clarified. I bought the cobb tuner but run the specialized tune from "Maperformance", they are pretty reputable and I haven't heard of any issues with their tune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sorry, should have clarified. I bought the cobb tuner but run the specialized tune from "Maperformance", they are pretty reputable and I haven't heard of any issues with their tune.
Send logs to Map Performance and see what they say.