GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine rebuild

wave

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any idea where to get a full engine rebuild kit for a 2016 GTI.

My motor had some oil burning issues, and after a shop tore the whole thing down, they wanted an outrageous amount of money to rebuild it, telling me that the block was already too large between bores to hone any more out, and they would need new pistons and everything else to go along with that to rebuild it correctly. I was quoted $7500 for the rebuild, but the motor had good compression and ran when I dropped it off. 100,000 miles on it.

I have since picked it up in pieces, fully disassembled, and told that it cannot be saved unless I fork over the money I was quoted.

I was looking for any resources anyone has regarding a rebuild of the engine, which at this point I will tackle myself, before I find an alternative such as a used motor from LKQ, etc.

I appreciate any help.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any idea where to get a full engine rebuild kit for a 2016 GTI.

My motor had some oil burning issues, and after a shop tore the whole thing down, they wanted an outrageous amount of money to rebuild it, telling me that the block was already too large between bores to hone any more out, and they would need new pistons and everything else to go along with that to rebuild it correctly. I was quoted $7500 for the rebuild, but the motor had good compression and ran when I dropped it off. 100,000 miles on it.

I have since picked it up in pieces, fully disassembled, and told that it cannot be saved unless I fork over the money I was quoted.

I was looking for any resources anyone has regarding a rebuild of the engine, which at this point I will tackle myself, before I find an alternative such as a used motor from LKQ, etc.

I appreciate any help.
Actually, $7500 for everything is a good deal. Just the parts alone for a complete build will cost over $5K easily and to assemble it correctly isn't done overnight. Mine took 3 months with 2 guys working on it for the majority of the time.