GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine oil usage on almost new engine

haste

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'21 GTI SE, '15 FiST
Let's stay on topic, sterkrazzy. ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I'll monitor the oil level for now and tell the wife to drive it like she stole it and we'll see how it ends up. I'll update the thread after another 1000 miles or so.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Use some engine braking and harder acceleration for a while and see if you can get the rings to seat a bit better.
^This Drive up to 60-80 mph take your foot off the gas and manually downshift as you coast down to 20-30 using engine braking to seat the rings, accelerate back up to 60-80 and do it again. If you don't have a place to do this on the open road, then engine brake as much as you can as you approach every stoplight or stop sign. HTH

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I checked mine today @ 6500Km; the oil is right in the middle, exactly where it was when I checked it at 3000Km, and from what I saw on the dipstick, it's really clean looking.

If I have a known oil burner, I check it more often, but this one doesn't seem to have used any at all so far.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
I'm at 3600 miles and broke it in by the book.
Did not beat on it. No redline. Just a lot of varying speed and throttle inputs (no pedal to the floor) for the first 1000 miles and heat cycles.
Hasn't burned a drop.
All break in miles were done on a specific route with no traffic or traffic signals on weekends.

haste

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'21 GTI SE, '15 FiST
Well, I've been beating the shit out of it every time I drive it and the engine braking has been noticeably better. I still haven't checked the oil level but my trips have an average of 20 mpg, lol. I'm not quite at the next 1000 miles from initial post, but I will report as soon as I reach that milestone.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
8k miles on my wife’s 2021 GLI and I’ve got an oil change sitting here (I’ll probably change it tomorrow or Monday).

I checked it about 1k miles ago and it still hadn’t burned any since new.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Well, I've been beating the shit out of it every time I drive it and the engine braking has been noticeably better. I still haven't checked the oil level but my trips have an average of 20 mpg, lol. I'm not quite at the next 1000 miles from initial post, but I will report as soon as I reach that milestone.
I'd check it since that sort of driving uses more until the rings are seated, if that was the case. Could be anywhere in the dipstick right now. Next leveling up and and monitoring with normal driving should give you the story. More noticeable engine braking is good sign.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
1500 miles later and the oil level hasn't budged. *shrugs*

Well, glad to hear it doesn't seem to be an excessive problem. Probably just a result of break in/maybe the initial fill being a little low to begin with.

I wouldn't stress it at this point.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I'm at 15,000Km, and just in time for the first scheduled maintenance.

Still on the factory fill, the oil level on the stick today is just a hair below halfway on the hashmarks. It's never been topped up, and the level was at maybe 60% on the marks when I picked up the car.

If the hashmarks are meant to represent 1L from top to bottom, it hasn't burned more than a few ounces over that time.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I see someone revived this one so I figured I'd share my experience with my other VW.

2020 Tiguan. Low oil level light came on at 9k miles. Oil was barely showing on the hashmarks. I was overly concerned and brought the car straight to the dealership since it was so new. Would have just topped off the oil and changed at the normal interval in any other circumstance. Want to hold onto the warranty.

Was told by the service advisor that this is completely normal, and the owners manual states to check the oil at every gas fill up. I've never had a car burn off this much oil. Basically a full quart between changes. I'm keeping an eye on it now, but I've already had to add some after only 3k miles since the service.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I checked the engine oil level in my '21 before leaving the Dealership on the day that I bought it. The engine was warm after my test drive, but I was alarmed to find that the level was only slightly above the Minimum mark. When I expressed my concern, the Service Manager said "that's just where we like to see it". Right. Maybe on his car, but not on mine.

I grimaced, but decided that things were probably okay. I bought a Quart of oil at the Dealership, then stopped a mile away and added some before starting the 150 Mile drive home. I didn't want to give them any excuse in saying I overfilled it or whatever.

At 4500 Miles total, I'm down maybe a wee bit beyond 1/8 of a QT. This seems okay to me. I'm in my '60s and have never owned a car which consumed no oil.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
Check engine while warm, but let engine sit for several minutes before checking.

I like to check oil after filling fuel tank...

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Bringing up an older post, but yeah for one, the MK7 has a VERY difficult dipstick to read. The manual also is vary vague. Has anyone found the "capacities" page in the owners manual yet? I can't find it. haha.
I changed the oil in my own cars. Always have. In my MK6 GTI I would put in 5 qts and it would be on the full line and I was good for 5k miles until the next oil change. On my MK7.5 I put in 6 qts and it only goes up to half way on the hash marks. I am checking it like 5 times and am puzzled. If VW says 5.7L (6qts) then why does it not go to full mark? So I end up adding almost another 1/4-3/8 qt more. Its no big deal, but then you read people on the forums that put in 5.5 qts and its to the full line? I am over 6 qts and its not full? So confusing to say the least.
When you look at the crappy owners manual, it shows a picture of 3 different type of dipsticks? None look exactly like the one in my car, so I go with the one that looks most like my car. It has letters for markers in the manual as a guide. If in "c" range you can add oil to get to the "b" range but don't go past "b" I mean who writes this crap?
Then on top of that, the new VW508 oil is almost transparent in color and that in itself makes it very difficult to read correctly. Amazing how brilliant German Engineers are until it comes to something simple like a dipstick. Could have done a better job here for sure.

Anyway, its anyone's guess. Somewhere between the lines I guess. haha.

Jeff