GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Oil Suggestion

metjuw

I have a 2016 VW Golf 1.6 TDi and would like to know which is the best engine oil to put? Since this is the first time I'm servicing the car..

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Did you look in the owners manual? I believe it makes a recommendation and you should follow that.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Lol this question again.

Just put some LiquiMoly in there are you are good. There is a decently priced kit on ECS for this car.

When in doubt for oil, go to ECS, filter by your car, go to the oil section, find oil and qty, then buy it somewhere else (unless you want liquimoly, then buy fro ECS).

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Well, he's in Malta.

I'd offer that maybe the oil cap will give the specs.
Don't see them...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Make sure the oil has the proper approved certification for your vehicle. I believe the type is 507 for the TDi.

metjuw

Yeah the oil specs are for 504/507.. Had already taken a look at the manual for the specs but wanted to see what type of engine oil is good.. I bought this:

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
A lot of threads. Google search "golfmk7 oil recommendation", and you'll get a bunch of related threads.

I just checked my oil level on the dipstick, which is very tricky to read since there is a bend in the tube that leads to the oil. One side, about 1/4, of the dipstick was covered in oil. The other side showed me max fill. -- I turned on the vehicle and ran it until it was at engine operating temperature. I re-checked it and it was half way filled. Thank God. I was worried i had 1/2 quart too much.

Stupid me forgot to check the technicians competence (oil level) after it was serviced. I waited almost an entire month to check the oil.

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have the dipstick facing the correct direction?

What do you mean by that?

I think it was just the cold oil that got caught in the plastic tubing and collected on the stick as i pulled the stick out. Once i warmed the oil up, the stick didn't collect oil and gave me a good reading. It was in the safe zone.