GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It wouldn't make the job easier or prevent the engine from shifting too much?

No it’s a completely unnecessary step & expense.

I’ve installed at least a dozen sets of BFI mounts at this point, never had an issue with a floor jack (as seen in the DIY I posted).

Only reason I own a engine support bar is I owned a Quick Jack & had my two post lift on the way, so when a friend asked for help with his clutch installation I asked if he’d buy the support bar to future proof for the next clutch job (which would be on my lift). Since then I’ve picked up a transmission jack too, but I hope it’s a long time till I need to use it lol.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Interesting on the 034 mounts. I've been talking to them and even made a video for them to explain what I think the issue is. They sent me a new mount and it looks just like the one in there so I'm not bothering replacing it. The back bit does stick out a bit and from waht I can see - I do still think it's protruding out the back more than it does before install. The stock mount (I wish I didn't chuck it!) has a wider "horseshoe" portion that covers that little bit of black rubber that protrudes out the back so you don't see this. From underneith the rubber is not pushed out of the tabs that are there to prevent that. I don't think it's a real issue (for me) and at this point and I'm using them/they work but yes, likely would look to BFI next go around. These do give slightly more NVH than the stockers with the DSG but not anything that bothers me. I wish I had taken a pic of the one I have installed beforehand. These look just like the one crxgator posted above as well as the others here.

20220114_184208.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah I’m pretty sure that all 3 are from the same China factory that used an OEM casting to knock them off (they have grind marks where they grind off the oem numbers lol)

So any perceived issues that happen with the o34s probably will happen to all of them… I just put some on my car about a month ago that I REPLACED BFI stage 1 with, haha. I knew the potential for “concerns” but will deal with them as I’m just not a fan of the nvh As I’m mores sensitive to them then others I suppose.

View attachment 233286
In this photo, does the stock one also protrude out the back a bit?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Typical 034 quality.

I toss those and grab some BFI mounts personally. I have 75k miles on my full set of stage 2 mounts with zero issues
What do the stage 2 mounts sound like on normal driving? I hear that they are violent lol

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
What do the stage 2 mounts sound like on normal driving? I hear that they are violent lol

People exaggerate lol. I have a single mass flywheel DKM twin disk clutch & BFI stage 2 mounts and it’s about the same as driving my moms ‘05 Corolla. Sure there’s some noise & vibration transferred into the cabin, but roughly equal to people who call regular ol ketchup “spicy”.

This video was recorded on a real camera with a external mic, so it’s the most accurate representation on my channel, but the short answer is if you care at all about NVH just buy BFI stage 1 instead of stage 2.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
People have complained about excessive vibrations.

Which are really only notable in low RPM/high load situations.

Like backing up hill at idle with the AC on. DSG cars have worse NVH than manual, but in normal driving conditions it’s mostly just noise approximately the same as the factory soundeckor.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
People exaggerate lol. I have a single mass flywheel DKM twin disk clutch & BFI stage 2 mounts and it’s about the same as driving my moms ‘05 Corolla. Sure there’s some noise & vibration transferred into the cabin, but roughly equal to people who call regular ol ketchup “spicy”.

This video was recorded on a real camera with a external mic, so it’s the most accurate representation on my channel, but the short answer is if you care at all about NVH just buy BFI stage 1 instead of stage 2.

People have different experiences and tolerances than each other, doesn’t mean they’re exaggerating. They’re talking about their experiences.