GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Troubleshooting is about the only thing in the mechanical/maintenance world that is (and should be) charged by the hour. Otherwise there would be no incentive to be anything more than baseline competent at your job. As a good mechanic/shop, why would I charge half an hour while a mediocre mechanic/shop gets to charge an hour? My hourly rate would have to be double for to make the same amount of money and at double the hourly rate you probably have less than half the business. The hourly rate will vary by the experience and reputation of the company (within reason). Having mechanics that do the job properly builds trust/reputation that lets you charge $120/hr versus $100/hr, but won't let you charge $200/hr versus $100/hr.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've never met a good professional in the auto industry.

Literally never once have I been satisfied with work done by a shop. Ironically, one of the morons at my local VW shop cross threaded my motor mount during an unrelated warranty repair and sent it home with an impact.

I had to replace the bracket.

I had never met one until I started going to TCR in New Jersey. They're a very, very small family shop that does awesome work. they built their own RS3 and it's a murderer

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

Literally never once have I been satisfied with work done by a shop. Ironically, one of the morons at my local VW shop cross threaded my motor mount during an unrelated warranty repair and sent it home with an impact.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I had some good work done by a small indy shop about 10 years ago on a valve and oil filter housing gasket replacement when I didn't have the time or space to diy.

But by and large I trust myself more than anyone I could hire for all but the most specialty jobs.

It goes without saying that no one will care as much about your car (house, computer, water heater, etc things which most people hire others to fix) than you will.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

If one does find a good one at a bigger shop, the issue is being able to request them again.
Most shop do not like to do that. First come!
Had a guy my age (older) follow up on a wheel bearing install issue on my old truck. Was not installed correctly and he did the follow up work. He noticed me walking to my truck after work and he came out into the parking lot to update what he had found.
I wish they would let customers talk to mechanics more. I know for most customers it might be a waste, but I like to share info and learn from them. Also a good time to thank them for the work. If this was done more, they might perform better knowing there is a face with each car. The Service clerks up front often never have much info.

But a private shop, owned by the Mechanic is the best. I would gladly pay more for work at this type of shop, if they are good.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I just looked at my 034 engine mount and it's doing the same, except the rubber is touching the body. Looks like I'll be going BFI stg 1 for the engine side.. Do the 03 tranny mounts hold up better at least? Looking at the OEM tranny mount and the 034 mount, it looks like 034 just puts their insert inside a stock mount so I can at least go the insert route for the tranny side at least.

Can anyone hook a brotha up w/the code for a discount?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I just looked at my 034 engine mount and it's doing the same, except the rubber is touching the body. Looks like I'll be going BFI stg 1 for the engine side.. Do the 03 tranny mounts hold up better at least? Looking at the OEM tranny mount and the 034 mount, it looks like 034 just puts their insert inside a stock mount so I can at least go the insert route for the tranny side at least.

Can anyone hook a brotha up w/the code for a discount?

Nope, 034 trans mount is as bad as their engine mount.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Nope, 034 trans mount is as bad as their engine mount.
Yeah, I’ve seen the trans mount go on a few cars before the motor side did...

On that note.... I had to order the motor and trans full mount this week from BFI (stage 1) and unfortunately they are 3 weeks out of stock.

Factory’s are not happy with power and new found GRAB of This clutch...

Enjoy...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, I’ve seen the trans mount go on a few cars before the motor side did...

On that note.... I had to order the motor and trans full mount this week from BFI (stage 1) and unfortunately they are 3 weeks out of stock.

Factory’s are not happy with power and new found GRAB of This clutch...

Enjoy...

Wow you overpowered it. Same thing happened to me. The trans mount was shot and the motor mount wasn't too bad.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
034 motor mount appears to be shot. I’ve learned my lesson and won’t be going that route again.

I’m leaning towards BFI stage 1 mounts and was looking for input on nvh and longevity from those who are running them.

Also considering the mounts from ECS but haven’t heard much feedback on those. Anybody running them?

Attachments

• 00F52D38-EBD0-4F7B-89BB-F00D7DCE7877.jpeg
    00F52D38-EBD0-4F7B-89BB-F00D7DCE7877.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 134

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
034 motor mount appears to be shot. I’ve learned my lesson and won’t be going that route again.

I’m leaning towards BFI stage 1 mounts and was looking for input on nvh and longevity from those who are running them.

Also considering the mounts from ECS but haven’t heard much feedback on those. Anybody running them?

Have had BFI stage 1 motor and stage 1 trans insert for over a year. They are fine. NVH increases, but not crazily. My car is pretty damn stiff, though, ymmw.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
If one does find a good one at a bigger shop, the issue is being able to request them again.
Most shop do not like to do that. First come!
Had a guy my age (older) follow up on a wheel bearing install issue on my old truck. Was not installed correctly and he did the follow up work. He noticed me walking to my truck after work and he came out into the parking lot to update what he had found.
I wish they would let customers talk to mechanics more. I know for most customers it might be a waste, but I like to share info and learn from them. Also a good time to thank them for the work. If this was done more, they might perform better knowing there is a face with each car. The Service clerks up front often never have much info.

But a private shop, owned by the Mechanic is the best. I would gladly pay more for work at this type of shop, if they are good.
i agree, i think the person that serviced your car should talk to you as you check out, the service people are usually garbage and know nothing, i assume the service people at dealers training is about 2 weeks, no experience needed

Hoon

Autocross Champion

BFI Stage 1 is the shit. NVH is very much like stock and they last forever