GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Stage 1.

Had stage 2 it was awful, actually hated driving the car because of the NVH. Had to buy the stage 1 inserts and swap them.
Lol, I went straight for stage 2 and yeah, it's significant, but I love it.

Inprogress

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
What's the labor involved in installing the BFI stage 1 engine mount kit? I was quoted $295 to install, 2.8 hours, the BFI stage 1 kit. Does that sound about right?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
What's the labor involved in installing the BFI stage 1 engine mount kit? I was quoted $295 to install, 2.8 hours, the BFI stage 1 kit. Does that sound about right?
Lol 2.8 hours to support the engine, remove 4 bolts and replace the engine mount? Do it yourself.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

WOW. It takes an inexperienced person an hour. A shop should be able to do it in half an hour with a beer break. Did they quote you just on the motor mount install? Something's being lost in translation here.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Lol 2.8 hours to support the engine, remove 4 bolts and replace the engine mount? Do it yourself.

Yeah, same thought here, unless by "kit" he means motor mount, trans mount, and dogbone insert. Even then 2.8 (lol wut, they really take exactly 2 hours and 48 minutes?) hours is too much for a shop.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Auto Mechanic work is priced based on standard time estimates for work, I think.
Not an expert but I asked about this one time when an hour job took 10min one time to fix, yet I paid one hour.
Each job has a standard time and that is the charge.
Controls gouging but means you might pay more than it takes.
If a shop has great mechanics they can make some money getting more work completed during standard shop hours.
If a shop is poor they will take longer and not make as much.

Feels like how Doctor visits and work gets charged.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
That's fair if it includes the trans mount.

Motor mount alone is nothing, just DIY it. The money you save can pay for all the tools required, and then you have the tools.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Wow, reading this thread makes me understand an issue I had with my 034 mounts before I switched them for BFIs.

Whenever I would take a hard left turn with the RPMs raised above 2K, I would get a REALLY loud, noticeable transmission of NVH to the frame of the vehicle from the engine.

I read the 034 mounts were shit online and this dxperience seemed to confirm it.

Now I KNOW what was going on.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Yeah, same thought here, unless by "kit" he means motor mount, trans mount, and dogbone insert. Even then 2.8 (lol wut, they really take exactly 2 hours and 48 minutes?) hours is too much for a shop.

3-4 hours and change is about what it took me to do engine, tranny, and full dogbone replacement with the HPA unit. So if 2.8 hours is for at least the engine and transmission mounts then that seems not completely outrageous. The only semi hassle with the trans mount is getting at the two 16mm rear mounting bolts under the wiring bundle.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
We say between 2.5-3.0 hours as that's what book time is. The transmission mount is a lot tougher to install than the engine due to having to remove the battery, battery tray and move the wiring harness out of the way to get to the frame bolts.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
It's fair. Why should one get paid less for being efficient?

As long as work performed well.
Fast and sloppy no good.
Good Mechanic is worth a lot in any industry.
We should be developing more kids at High School level to excel in this.
College is not the only way to succeed, but I think our system does not understand this.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I've never met a good professional in the auto industry.

Literally never once have I been satisfied with work done by a shop. Ironically, one of the morons at my local VW shop cross threaded my motor mount during an unrelated warranty repair and sent it home with an impact.

I had to replace the bracket.