GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Looks like the bolt is 8.8 to me in the picture.

(Reading the text on the head)

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I don't even think you can buy grade 3 stainless hex cap screws...

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Could always just ask em? If they’re indeed low quality bolts it does stand to reason they lowered cost elsewhere.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m on hold on the phone with them lol

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

This video has been shared previously and illustrates why you want to connect the upper and lower mounts. I've seen the APR dogbone bend at the lower mounting attaching point when only lower inserts are used. The following link has a lot of good information regarding the inserts and why you want something that fills the voids in the upper and lower mounts. https://store.034motorsport.com/034...n-mk75-golf-golf-r-gti-jetta-7-speed-dsg.html.

Based on the recommendation of one of my friends I went ahead and modified my powerflex hybrid mount to accept the 034 upper insert. And I should also note that the ECS dogbone is not a direct fit for the powerflex hybrid puck (had to machine down the aluminum cup thing that comes with the insert so it would fit in the dogbone).

View attachment 190456

That video is irrelevant, the sole purpose of it is to explain why upper reinforcement is needed (when all the voids from the OEM rubber bushings are still present) because of how much movement is still allowed.

The APR dogbone insert and pendulum mount bent/twisted (hi, that was me) because all the voids remained in both the upper and lower OEM subframe bushings with this setup. With the Powerflex lower replacement puck, you are replacing the entire lower section for a solid poly bushing and reinforcing the upper section (with poly) which is effectively eliminating almost all of the void space. The 034 insert is completely unnecessary in this scenario - you are adding more NVH (metal on metal) for absolutely no reason and jamming a piece of (trash) metal where it doesn't belong.

If you want a better solution than the Powerflex lower bushing, this is what you should be using.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
“Hey guys GTIJake says your hardware is trash and wants to know what the hell kind of operation you slackers in Spartanburg think you’re running.”

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
The engineer told me that they use grade 11 for most major bolts but some of the less critical ones are lesser grades. Could just be they photographed whatever was more presentable? He said to email him and he’ll send the exact specs on all the hardware for both mounts.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That video is irrelevant, the sole purpose of it is to explain why upper reinforcement is needed (when all the voids from the OEM rubber bushings are still present) because of how much movement is still allowed.

The APR dogbone insert and pendulum mount bent/twisted (hi, that was me) because all the voids remained in both the upper and lower OEM subframe bushings with this setup. With the Powerflex lower replacement puck, you are replacing the entire lower section for a solid poly bushing and reinforcing the upper section (with poly) which is effectively eliminating almost all of the void space. The 034 insert is completely unnecessary in this scenario - you are adding more NVH (metal on metal) for absolutely no reason and jamming a piece of (trash) metal where it doesn't belong.

If you want a better solution than the Powerflex lower bushing, this is what you should be using.
Never seen the option you linked; I'll probably go that route next time I have to drop the subframe.

And the video was more for people who don't know why the upper reinforcement is needed. I'd like to point out that you're wrong about the 034 insert--there is no metal on metal. It's filling the larger void in the rubber upper mount. The powerflex hybrid only fills 2 small voids.

ECS has another option out now as well. It fills the larger void in the upper mount like the 034 upper, except it's urethane. It looks like a decent solution for those who don't want to remove the OEM lower mount.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
No reason not to go with the powerflex, it's so much better than the other inserts I've used. (all types)

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Powerflex Hybrid, top view.
mount.JPG

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Never seen the option you linked; I'll probably go that route next time I have to drop the subframe.

And the video was more for people who don't know why the upper reinforcement is needed. I'd like to point out that you're wrong about the 034 insert--there is no metal on metal. It's filling the larger void in the rubber upper mount. The powerflex hybrid only fills 2 small voids.

ECS has another option out now as well. It fills the larger void in the upper mount like the 034 upper, except it's urethane. It looks like a decent solution for those who don't want to remove the OEM lower mount.

Your pendulum mount is going to contact that metal piece all the time... it will chatter and cause additional NVH, 100%

1604091505785.png

The Powerflex replacement lower fills the entire back (bottom portion in the photo) void and it's two posts fill the front (top, left and right portion) leaving only a small gap between them. There is no need for the addition of a metal piece.

The ECE option I linked does not fit perfectly in the MK7 (made for the Audi aluminum subframe) so unless you upgrade your steel subframe, I wouldn't advise installing it. It does fit, but it will add additional NVH beyond what it should.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Your pendulum mount is going to contact that metal piece all the time... it will chatter and cause additional NVH, 100%

View attachment 190492
The Powerflex replacement lower fills the entire back (bottom portion in the photo) void and it's two posts fill the front (top, left and right portion) leaving only a small gap between them. There is no need for the addition of a metal piece.

The ECE option I linked does not fit perfectly in the MK7 (made for the Audi aluminum subframe) so unless you upgrade your steel subframe, I wouldn't advise installing it. It does fit, but it will add additional NVH beyond what it should.
I'm still going to put it in. A guy in my local group is using the 034 upper with the powerflex hybrid and has had zero complaints. Worst case scenario is I don't like it, take it out, and sell it.

I'm not a fan of 034 by any means. I'm pulling their junk engine and transmission mounts out (as well as my bent lower dogbone insert) and upgrading all of the mounts at the same time.