GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine knocking - MK7.5 (YM2018)

Sona

Car(s)
VW Golf 7.5
Hello everybody

I own a VW Golf 2018 Comfortline (1.4L TSI) that I bought from a VW dealership (brand new) in May 2018.

Last week, I was driving home and the car was driving fine. When I stopped at a traffic light the engine stopped due to the Auto Start/Stop system. When I was ready to drive again and the engine started, I heard a loud “knocking" noise that I couldn’t identify its exact origin first. This happened a few hundred metres from my house and there was no warning lights on the dashboard so I drove home and parked in the garage. Then when I opened the bonnet and checked it was obvious that the sound was coming from the engine and probably from behind the timing belt cover (can't confirm 100% but when I put by hand on the cover I can feel something hitting it from behind). I haven’t driven the car again as I don’t know if this is a serious issue or not. This noise has been persistent whenever the engine starts and it is a uniform knocking that gets louder with a higher engine RPM.

As I have mentioned there is still no warning lights coming up on the dashboard. Shouldn't a problem with the timing system trigger an Engine problem warning light on the dashboard? The car has travelled only 33,000 km and has been regularly maintained at and authorised VW service centre.

I can't get the car checked under warranty (which shall expire in less than a year by the way) as all service centres are currently closed due to COVID and won't be opened for another 3 weeks.

Any help on what the problem could be shall be appreciated.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sounds like a piece of the timing belt broke and is hitting the cover. I wouldn't drive it again in case the belt breaks completely.

Welcome to the forum also.

Sona

Car(s)
VW Golf 7.5
Sounds like a piece of the timing belt broke and is hitting the cover. I wouldn't drive it again in case the belt breaks completely.

Welcome to the forum also.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I agree. I won't be driving it again as you said. So you reckon the engine is fine but the belt itself broke?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think the engine is fine because the way you described it makes it sound like a just a piece of edge of the belt broke. If the belt completely broke it probably wouldn't make the noise. Especially since you said that you can feel it hitting the timing cover.

Sona

Car(s)
VW Golf 7.5
I think the engine is fine because the way you described it makes it sound like a just a piece of edge of the belt broke. If the belt completely broke it probably wouldn't make the noise. Especially since you said that you can feel it hitting the timing cover.
Got a call today from the service centre. They actually work 2 days per week and they picked up the car on Monday. They looked at the car and they found that the "camshaft adjuster" has come loose. Not sure what that is but is that serious. Should I request extended warranty for this car from VW?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Got a call today from the service centre. They actually work 2 days per week and they picked up the car on Monday. They looked at the car and they found that the "camshaft adjuster" has come loose. Not sure what that is but is that serious. Should I request extended warranty for this car from VW?

I don't know what the labor charge for that would be didn't they give you a quote?

Sona

Car(s)
VW Golf 7.5
I don't know what the labor charge for that would be didn't they give you a quote?
They mentioned that the part itself is around $600 Australian dollars. Labour shall probably be same if not more.

Really concerned about their capability to do this repair and with issues that might arise in the future once the warranty is over

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They mentioned that the part itself is around $600 Australian dollars. Labour shall probably be same if not more.

Really concerned about their capability to do this repair and with issues that might arise in the future once the warranty is over

It sounds like you're under warranty. I wouldn't worry about future problems.

Last edited:

Sona

Car(s)
VW Golf 7.5
It sounds you're under warranty. I wouldn't worry about future problems.
I wasn't going to worry. Worrying only because this is my second warranty issue with this car in less than 2 years. Last year they replaced the rear suspension balancing rods under warranty as well.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I wasn't going to worry. Worrying only because this is my second warranty issue with this car in less than 2 years. Last year they replaced the rear suspension balancing rods under warranty as well.

I guess be thankful it happened while you're under warranty.