GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Bay - Blow Off Valve Vent Like Noise

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I have a 2020 MK7.5 GTI DSG-7. I have notice since last week that now I can hear a noise coming from my engine bay, the noise I hear is the one that you would associate to a "Blow-off" valve venting to atmosphere. I have 20K miles on it and I have never heard that noise happened before. I have read that our GTI's have a diverter valve instead a Blow-off valve. Can this new noise be an issue with my diverter valve or could it be some other reason, like a busted or lose charge pipe? I have an enclosed VW Raceline R600 intake.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Most probably you are hearing your intake but, do you notice less power? As if the turbo is not building enough pressure? (Bad Dv) .
Check the intake hose maybe it’s loose and you have a boost leak.
Other than that if I were you I would take it to the dealer, it’s under warranty.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Pretty normal. I hear my DV letting off boost most the time. Since you’re under warranty, it couldn’t hurt asking the dealer to check everything out.

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
It's the diverter if you hear it simultaneously with letting off the throttle at any reasonable speed.
Intake mods generally increase intake noise in some way.......
I don't think I ever heard my stock diverter valve in operation.
Now, my GFB valve has replaced it on the solenoid. I can hear my diverter valve open when the windows are down. It's pretty quiet.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I don't remember ever hearing it in 20K miles. That's why I was thinking that something must it change in the area of the engine bay for that noise to be more noticeable now. My GTI is modify a fairly good amount, so warranty acceptance might be questionable

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I wonder if there are design variations. Even when my car was stock, I would hear the DV make a psshhh sound when I let off the throttle as I started to build boost — “mid spool.” Plenty of people have said the same. Others have said nope it doesn’t make a sound. Very strange.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
ECS sells a "Diverter Valve Spacer", which has this effect, intentionally. You'd know it if you installed it, so I'm thinking that maybe you loosened something while modifying something else, and maybe didn't get things screwed back together tightly at the diverter valve? That might mimic the effect that the DV Spacer provides.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2020 MK7.5 GTI DSG-7. I have notice since last week that now I can hear a noise coming from my engine bay, the noise I hear is the one that you would associate to a "Blow-off" valve venting to atmosphere. I have 20K miles on it and I have never heard that noise happened before. I have read that our GTI's have a diverter valve instead a Blow-off valve. Can this new noise be an issue with my diverter valve or could it be some other reason, like a busted or lose charge pipe? I have an enclosed VW Raceline R600 intake.
Had a lower charge pipe pop off yesterday, trust me if it was a charge pipe you wouldn’t be questioning it, it would be a quite obvious ginormous boost leak and lack of power. my poor car sounded like a Dyson and did 0-60 in 10 minutes flat lol. All fixed up, was lower passengers side.
for yours, trace from the intake to the turbo, excess venting noises can be poped off hose on the intake track.