GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine and or road noise leaking into cabin

Andrewro77

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.6 TDI
Vw golf mk7 1.6 TDI

I need some advice or help with a problem that is starting to to make me hate driving my car a bit, so when the car gets up to speed (over 55 MPH) it seems like the amount of engine noise and road noise coming into the cabin is multiplied by a lot, it’s seriously jarring, it’s extremely droning and loud, idk if it’s the engine or not because even when I’m in 5th and the RPMs are at or below 2000 rpm the noise is still present and even when I put the clutch in and the revs drop all together it’s still there just as loud, so I’m thinking it is road noise but I’ve never heard that much road noise leak into a car and it’s on mid range tires that the garage put on in the last service in may, I’ve just done an oil change on New Year’s Eve and that hasn’t fixed the problem either.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Tyres, make all the difference to road noise......

You could also be missing the "diesel noise insulation tray" which covers the whole underside of the engine bay...these usually go missing at service time!

Andrewro77

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.6 TDI

You could also be missing the "diesel noise insulation tray" which covers the whole underside of the engine bay...these usually go missing at service time!
I can’t exactly remember what tires are on they’re definitely not Michelins or Pirelli’s lol but the issue is I can’t afford to spend £400 on a set of top range tires on 2nd year apprentice wage… it’s definitely extremely loud even for road noise though, when I’ve had friends in they say it sounds like the thing is going to blow up…

Andrewro77

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.6 TDI

It’s also got a undertray on, I had to remove it when I done the oil change a couple weeks ago.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Have you checked the tyre pressures??....

What size tyres & brand/make are they??

Andrewro77

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.6 TDI
Have you checked the tyre pressures??....

What size tyres & brand/make are they??
Tyre pressures are all fine I refill and check them every couple weeks, I think it’s due to a faulty wheel bearing, I’ve just took it on the dual carriage way, and when going down hill in neutral and increasing revs to around 4k the engine cannot be heard but a loud almost buzzing noise or grinding noise can be heard, which I’m assuming is a bearing. Which is strange considering all bearings and tyres where changed in the service in may and I’ve only done just over 6k miles

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Tyre pressures are all fine I refill and check them every couple weeks, I think it’s due to a faulty wheel bearing, I’ve just took it on the dual carriage way, and when going down hill in neutral and increasing revs to around 4k the engine cannot be heard but a loud almost buzzing noise or grinding noise can be heard, which I’m assuming is a bearing. Which is strange considering all bearings and tyres where changed in the service in may and I’ve only done just over 6k miles

You need to jack each wheel up separately & spin the wheel..it could be a stone stuck between the brake disc & splash shield...or the pads stuck in the calipers & partially "on" all the time...

Andrewro77

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.6 TDI
You need to jack each wheel up separately & spin the wheel..it could be a stone stuck between the brake disc & splash shield...or the pads stuck in the calipers & partially "on" all the time...
My mates a mechanic so I’m gonna do exactly that and get it on the lift tomorrow after work and see what the crack is, I’ll post what the issue is in these comments tomorrow, never know might help someone.

Andrewro77

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.6 TDI
So the issue is a front left wheel bearing and a rear right brake caliper that is stuck down. Is anyone able to link me a decent rear right break caliper and pads that won’t set me back over £200 and also any recommendations on front left bearings.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So the issue is a front left wheel bearing and a rear right brake caliper that is stuck down. Is anyone able to link me a decent rear right break caliper and pads that won’t set me back over £200 and also any recommendations on front left bearings.

Euro car parts??....they have loads of price points..so from cheap to expensive...

Andrewro77

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.6 TDI
Euro car parts??....they have loads of price points..so from cheap to expensive...
The only caliper that was on euro car parts was £200 and it usually goes for almost £300. However I’ve found a ridex caliper for 30% off on autodoc for £98 so that should do, with some brembo pads

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The only caliper that was on euro car parts was £200 and it usually goes for almost £300. However I’ve found a ridex caliper for 30% off on autodoc for £98 so that should do, with some brembo pads
Autodoc is another place for stuff...I've used them in the past...