GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

End links rubbing fender well.

K.Nikkz

Ready to race!
I’ve been running coilovers for about a year and a half now and was getting some clunking from the front end. Had some issues with a spring collapsing on Solowerks, ended up switching to an H&R setup. Still got clunking. Put in adjustable end links which fixed the issue. BUT, I can’t get them aligned correctly and they were (or currently) rubbing the inner fender pretty significantly. I haven’t noticed any clunks or any noise, but it’s pretty obvious where it rubbed, to the point of slightly damaging the head of the end link. I’m at a loss for how to adjust the coilover/end link to make this not rub. To check if it’s currently rubbing, I was gonna spray the bare area with some fresh paint to see if it rubs off again. I’ve attached some photos (car is jacked up so suspension is sagging). When I initially set up the end links, I had to rotate the coil body a bit so it didn’t hit the big flange thing where it attaches to the end link because it was hitting. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 28A530A4-5290-4B53-85E2-28EAD7F6CF0F.jpeg
    28A530A4-5290-4B53-85E2-28EAD7F6CF0F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 137
  • 06846562-AFF0-4E30-9AF4-2AB52E830937.jpeg
    06846562-AFF0-4E30-9AF4-2AB52E830937.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 127

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Is that the passenger side?

The end link is mounted on the incorrect side of the flange.

How did you rotate the coilover shock body? Are they even seated all the way in the hub? They’re supposed to have a tab that ensures they are oriented correctly in the hub.

Last edited:

K.Nikkz

Ready to race!
It is the passenger side. I followed the SuperPro install instructions and they specifically said to put it on this side with a lowered suspension. That was surprising to me with the stock end link being mounted to the other side of the flange. The H&R coilover body does not have a centering tab like the Solowerks did. They are absolutely seated all the way down in the hub.

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Where are these directions?

Orient it correctly, even 034 says to mount them on the same side as OEM. Don’t see why Superpro would say mount them backwards. Not to mention the angle of the joint is not even close to being aligned.

I’m on coilovers, adjustable endlinks, and mounted them on the side the OEM ones were, and have no issues.

If I were you, I’d try again.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah, as KRS noted the passenger side endlink should be on the back side of flange.

On both my GTI that’s been on multiple setups now and my mqb Tiguan on coilover (2 diff sets also 🤦🏻‍♂️) the pass side always has the endink on the back side of the flange towards the rear, and the driver side has it on the front towards front bumper.

Come to think of it - Only 1 time did I get the some shock bodies with actual left and right side variances of the flange that allowed both endlinks to be mounted to the front of the flange and at that time Window I was getting the same rub marks but it was short lived on the car cause that pass side camber plate failed early and they sent me a new one and at that point the flange was set up for me to install the passenger side endlink to the backside of the flange.

As far as clocking the assembly - my current bagriders shock bodies also didn’t have a location pin or tab like every other setup I’m run but as long as you have them setup where the sway bar link in centered to the spindle you would be fine since your trying to get a neutral unloaded endlink when the car is straight and at ride height.

Reactions: krs

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

K.Nikkz

Ready to race!
Wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy, so I had them send me the instructions. The only thing that changes for the coilover install is length adjustment. I’ll flip it to the back to see if it fixes my issue though.

Attachments

• 4CAC4B12-4D53-41D8-8940-6F99F5AAA261.jpeg
    4CAC4B12-4D53-41D8-8940-6F99F5AAA261.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

K.Nikkz

Ready to race!
I had the same issue with my SuperPro endlinks when I was chasing max camber.
I changed to Powergrid endlinks and no more clearance issues. I also shaved the swaybar tab on my Ohlins.
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-gti-pp-at-vir.351754/post-7516716
I’m wondering if my issues are partially due to the SuperPro fixed camber plates that are installed as well. I flipped the end link to the back and still had some clearance issues, so I clocked the strut quite a bit and it seems to be clearing for now. I need to hit the fender well with some spray paint to see if it rubs off again. The mounting tab on these H&R’s is significantly larger than it was on the Solowerks and OEM struts. If I was bold I’d shave it, but I’m getting closer to just selling them at this point.