GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enabling TMC in the UK - is it possible?

KFiddy

Passed Driver's Ed
t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t3.jpg

never been able to get it to work , Discover Nav, not modded or refitted as far as I know, was an ex rental car

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@KFiddy: post-up a copy of the long-code string on your hex5F module (MIB2) so we can see how the software switches are programmed.

Also, I assume that you have set-up RDS values as per my screenshots for FM in my previous response

Don

KFiddy

Passed Driver's Ed
long code =
Long coding: 02730008FF00000051510001000928001F0100D601200100C7
adaption code is 1024 is this correct for aust?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
long code =
Yes, they are all correct. Well, the adaptation is right - I can't tell you about the long-coding though. 😅

I'm beginning to suspect some foul play from VW here - at least, in the UK.

I drove my car to Perth yesterday and when - I arrived, this happened:

1627210064512.png

1627210405899.png

1627210116385.png

So, I can confirm that the car is configured correctly and it works using adaptation channel 32771. Until you're about halfway up the A90, when it stops again...

However, I did some more reading last night and stumbled across this thread. Albeit 15 years old, this confirms that VW have not paid their license in the past and TMC updates have not been available in the cars, as a result. Which makes me think the same thing has been done again.

As I drove down, I noticed the car picking up other stations which broadcast data from INRIX. Not once did the car start receiving messages from them, not before I picked up my first TrafficMaster broadcast, coming from Heart FM.

1627210280109.png

(Both of the above are using the same ltn reference, meaning they are the same service as this confirms what table is used to decode the messages.)

I could mess around with the config file and change the table usage from non-exclusive to exclusive, but I doubt that will make any difference.

I've been trying to establish there all this information is located - if it's in the firmware on the unit itself, or if it's in the navigation data. The TMCProviers.xml file references the navigation database - so I think that's where I need to focus on for now. Ideally, I'd get logs out of the unit itself so I can have an indication of what it's doing with the data when it receives it but as my MIB2 is a Delphi (and therefore, uncrackable) that's proving to be really difficult. A quick examine of it yesterday indicates that VW have pulled any applications/commands from it which would make it any use in this situation.

Typical.

I do have a workaround to that - you can get to the console using a couple of pins in the back of the quad-lock connector but I'm not exactly what you would call rushing to try that...

We'll see!

For now, I need to figure out a way into the NDS files from the nav data to see if I can locate the INRIX location table. If I can't, VW have stopped paying the license and are not (currently) including it in the data. My alternate theory is that the license fee for INRIX's service is paid for via the Car-Net subscription that they'd want you to have - of course, that's not an option for me (and I can't decide if I should be grateful for that or not! 😅)

Attachments

• 1627210098403.png
    1627210098403.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 91

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
long code =
@KFiddy: yep looks OK - I've had other conversations with Aussies that have your MIB2 and that have had problems with activating TMC using 1024. ALL I can suggest is to try other codes (32787 has been used in Australia on Audi MMI units - worth a try)

Don

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Would you believe, The Scottish Government have been more than helpful on this? I'm as shocked as you are - someone actually had time to look into something other than Independence...

The wonders never cease!

Unfortunately, it's not good news... If what they said in their letter to me is to be believed, Transport Scotland actually took my question to INRIX themselves, who confirmed the following:

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 18.54.50.png

So...it looks like...VW don't actually make use of this? Which would make sense, the unit doesn't have to be capable of decoding the data from INRIX to be able to display them as a service provider in the GEM of the unit, when in an applicable area.

This is, however, considerably poor show on VW's part. As TrafficMaster do not cover beyond Perth, they've left an entire part of the country without access to this -whether it's basic, if I was someone who had paid for a MIB to be installed (particularly a MIB1, with no Car-Net) from factory, I would be really pissed off that I'd paid for functionality in a car that I'd never have.

But why list them as a provider without making use of their service? There is always the chance that Traffic Scotland got the wrong information -

I imagine this comes as no surprise - I'm not 100% sure I'm overly surprised myself, but I'm going to pose the question VW and see what they say. I'm sure this will be highly entertaining and not at all scripted. But I've found the email address for VW UK's MD, so if I get a crock-shit response from them, I'll on-pass to him and see what he has to say for it.

I mean, just how much excess carbon are they willing to pump into the atmosphere, exactly? The confirmed the sale of Bugatti to Rimac in May this year, they're not exactly in a position to handle another law-suit for a carbon-copy of the one they've already got... 😉

Attachments

• 1627322092721.png
    1627322092721.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 114

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Would you believe, The Scottish Government have been more than helpful on this? I'm as shocked as you are - someone actually had time to look into something other than Independence...

The wonders never cease!

Unfortunately, it's not good news... If what they said in their letter to me is to be believed, Transport Scotland actually took my question to INRIX themselves, who confirmed the following:

View attachment 220882

So...it looks like...VW don't actually make use of this? Which would make sense, the unit doesn't have to be capable of decoding the data from INRIX to be able to display them as a service provider in the GEM of the unit, when in an applicable area.

This is, however, considerably poor show on VW's part. As TrafficMaster do not cover beyond Perth, they've left an entire part of the country without access to this -whether it's basic, if I was someone who had paid for a MIB to be installed (particularly a MIB1, with no Car-Net) from factory, I would be really pissed off that I'd paid for functionality in a car that I'd never have.

But why list them as a provider without making use of their service? There is always the chance that Traffic Scotland got the wrong information -

I imagine this comes as no surprise - I'm not 100% sure I'm overly surprised myself, but I'm going to pose the question VW and see what they say. I'm sure this will be highly entertaining and not at all scripted. But I've found the email address for VW UK's MD, so if I get a crock-shit response from them, I'll on-pass to him and see what he has to say for it.

I mean, just how much excess carbon are they willing to pump into the atmosphere, exactly? The confirmed the sale of Bugatti to Rimac in May this year, they're not exactly in a position to handle another law-suit for a carbon-copy of the one they've already got... 😉
VW MD reading your email: There's countries other than England?

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello , i live in Portugal in february i searched everywhere for some help with this, tryed lots of codes but nothing works, the current code i have is 33791 and log codding is 03840201FF0000005111000100090A002F0200E401A00000FE.

Tryed

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
I've been on a mission here in New Zealand to try and get my TMC working... and this might be helpful in the UK as well..

A little bit of background, like Australia, NZ is served by two TMC providers... SUNA (intelematics) and HereTraffic.
I would occasionally get an update on my unit from SUNA, but it would be in weird locations and only appear for a short while before disappearing again.

In order to check if there was a config issue or it was just really shit reception I used my SDR (Software defined radio) and using a couple of tools RDSpy and redsea to check what messages were been sent over the FM radio in my area, the location data was encrypted but I could decode what type of message it was e.g. road works, accident etc.

What I discovered was that SUNA is really shit, they broadcast really infrequently, I'll get some messages during rush hour, but they disappear soon afterwards, where as HereTraffic broadcast throughout the day and a lot more messages compared to SUNA, i would say close to 20:1

You have probably come across the Drive.ru pages when searching for TMC info, They managed to figure out the encryption setup for russian cities, so I spent some time decoding what they did and using the Green engineering menu I was able to create my own PayTmc.json and PayTmc_aus.json with the required definitions for hereTraffic.. basically I need the Station ID, Extended Country Codes, and an encryption index key, the rest of the info is the same as what was in the SUNA config. (This is for the Discover Pro units, not Discover Media Nav)
the SID and ECC was easy to find via GEM (also via the SDR), the encryption key I did not know, but I learnt from a drive.ru post that there is only 8 possible keys...

So I sat in the car with my laptop, started with encryption key index 1 and loaded the new files onto the media unit, tested, increased the index, re copy... rinse and repeat till I found the right index. I am going to release the setup on github after I make a trip up north to Auckland, to make sure the values don't change between major centres in NZ... if SUNA config is anything to go by they should stay the same in NZ, but Australia for example the settings changes per state.

I also have a VW/Delphi Discover Media Nav unit on my test bench, so I am starting to have a look at the config files, if the TMCprovider files on the SD card are anything to go by, there isn't any mention of a SUNA (1024) config on the map card... so hopefully there is something in the base firmware, I have seen messages referring to SUNA in the serial debug output so hopefully the config is there somewhere.

Rollux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 1.4TSi
I’d be interested to have a go at getting this working in our MIB1 if possible.
I've been on a mission here in New Zealand to try and get my TMC working... and this might be helpful in the UK as well..

A little bit of background, like Australia, NZ is served by two TMC providers... SUNA (intelematics) and HereTraffic.
I would occasionally get an update on my unit from SUNA, but it would be in weird locations and only appear for a short while before disappearing again.

In order to check if there was a config issue or it was just really shit reception I used my SDR (Software defined radio) and using a couple of tools RDSpy and redsea to check what messages were been sent over the FM radio in my area, the location data was encrypted but I could decode what type of message it was e.g. road works, accident etc.

What I discovered was that SUNA is really shit, they broadcast really infrequently, I'll get some messages during rush hour, but they disappear soon afterwards, where as HereTraffic broadcast throughout the day and a lot more messages compared to SUNA, i would say close to 20:1

You have probably come across the Drive.ru pages when searching for TMC info, They managed to figure out the encryption setup for russian cities, so I spent some time decoding what they did and using the Green engineering menu I was able to create my own PayTmc.json and PayTmc_aus.json with the required definitions for hereTraffic.. basically I need the Station ID, Extended Country Codes, and an encryption index key, the rest of the info is the same as what was in the SUNA config. (This is for the Discover Pro units, not Discover Media Nav)
the SID and ECC was easy to find via GEM (also via the SDR), the encryption key I did not know, but I learnt from a drive.ru post that there is only 8 possible keys...

So I sat in the car with my laptop, started with encryption key index 1 and loaded the new files onto the media unit, tested, increased the index, re copy... rinse and repeat till I found the right index. I am going to release the setup on github after I make a trip up north to Auckland, to make sure the values don't change between major centres in NZ... if SUNA config is anything to go by they should stay the same in NZ, but Australia for example the settings changes per state.

I also have a VW/Delphi Discover Media Nav unit on my test bench, so I am starting to have a look at the config files, if the TMCprovider files on the SD card are anything to go by, there isn't any mention of a SUNA (1024) config on the map card... so hopefully there is something in the base firmware, I have seen messages referring to SUNA in the serial debug output so hopefully the config is there somewhere.

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
It's been a long time since this post last response, as i know that in the uk tcm has been down maybe there will be more efforts to enable traffic information on the mib units.

What if instead of the tcm we could some how import google traffic info to the mib unit

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/layer-traffic

In the github of chillout / jilleb someone responded that the layer is not possible without vw connet but i was wondering if it is not possible to make a bridge between internet to tcm so the traffic is displayed.