GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enabling TMC in the UK - is it possible?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Has anyone ever succeeded in enabling TMC updates on a retrofit MIB2?

I know the VW sat nav isn’t the best system out there (or, so I hear) but it’s bugging me that it doesn’t pull down updates as it should.

On the traffic screen, I get an icon like this:

image.jpg

I’ve done research and figured out what coding is needed, the value for the Fee-Based Traffic Information (TMC) adaptation PLUS ensured the correct options are set correctly on the unit itself. I now have the TP icon across the top of the display - I’m hoping that doesn’t mean I’m now going to be disturbed by loads of actual spoken traffic updates and it has just opened the channel for them to start coming through.

image.jpg

It’s been like this since last night but seemingly, still doesn’t want to download anything…

I read somewhere that the TMC system in yhe UK had been switched off - can anyone corroborate that? It would be an odd thing to mandate, it would render so many thousands of devices unusable when connected cars are still becoming the “norm”.

Has anyone ever succeeded with this? I have to say, of all the MIB questions I’ve seen asked, this doesn’t seem to be among the common ones - although there’s maybe a reason for that…

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Can't help you with that unfortunately. A lot of the MIB 2 retrofit questions are from people in the US and our TMC over FM is not well implemented. What I can find suggests it wasn't active from the factory on most VW cars sold here. Over here we get traffic info via XM Radio for which you need a subscription, and is only available in North America anyway so no help in your case. I saw a comment in a thread on Ross Tech some time ago that some firmware versions don't fully support TMC, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone ever succeeded in enabling TMC updates on a retrofit MIB2?

I know the VW sat nav isn’t the best system out there (or, so I hear) but it’s bugging me that it doesn’t pull down updates as it should.

On the traffic screen, I get an icon like this:

View attachment 219477

I’ve done research and figured out what coding is needed, the value for the Fee-Based Traffic Information (TMC) adaptation PLUS ensured the correct options are set correctly on the unit itself. I now have the TP icon across the top of the display - I’m hoping that doesn’t mean I’m now going to be disturbed by loads of actual spoken traffic updates and it has just opened the channel for them to start coming through.

View attachment 219478

It’s been like this since last night but seemingly, still doesn’t want to download anything…

I read somewhere that the TMC system in yhe UK had been switched off - can anyone corroborate that? It would be an odd thing to mandate, it would render so many thousands of devices unusable when connected cars are still becoming the “norm”.

Has anyone ever succeeded with this? I have to say, of all the MIB questions I’ve seen asked, this doesn’t seem to be among the common ones - although there’s maybe a reason for that…
You used 32,771 right?

Can you tune to Classic FM, wait 15 minutes, then check?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
You used 32,771 right?

Can you tune to Classic FM, wait 15 minutes, then check?
No, it’s currently set using 1023 - I’ve been really struggling to find the information I need for this. I thought that code was for the unit to pick it up from Car-Net? This was actually the value that was coded I there initially but I had always assumed it was because of this and the fact the unit was configured for it before I had it activated, so I’d assumed it was irrelevant for me.

I’m going to give this a try, right now! I’ve been down a rabbit hole of research into the history of the service in the UK all day so far, trying to understand this!

@Cuzoe do you have a link to that so I can check it out? I’m open to the idea of updating the S/W on mine (provided I don’t lose all my new functionality) if needed.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
No, it’s currently set using 1023 - I’ve been really struggling to find the information I need for this. I thought that code was for the unit to pick it up from Car-Net? This was actually the value that was coded I there initially but I had always assumed it was because of this and the fact the unit was configured for it before I had it activated, so I’d assumed it was irrelevant for me.

I’m going to give this a try, right now! I’ve been down a rabbit hole of research into the history of the service in the UK all day so far, trying to understand this!

@Cuzoe do you have a link to that so I can check it out? I’m open to the idea of updating the S/W on mine (provided I don’t lose all my new functionality) if needed.
32771 is the band for the UK. TMC is broadcast via Classic FM.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
32771 is the band for the UK. TMC is broadcast via Classic FM.
Hmm. Ok, well, it’s now configured on the unit and has been running for around 30 mins or so. Still displaying this:

image.jpg

I had a look in the engineering menu while I was here. I enabled Traffic Message Detail View in HMI but this didn’t stay set after I rebooted the MIB.

Are there any other weird coding adaptations needed or should this be pretty straight forward?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
You know, I think I'm getting somewhere!

I saw a post here which indicates that the codes for this are indicate in the media for the maps themselves. I've seen this reported everywhere, referring to the previous DVD based systems from the mark 6 (or older) so I whipped my SD card out and shoved it into my laptop and look what I found:

<!-- TMCpro + Trafficmaster+ infoBlu + viaMichelin + MediaMobile Nordic -->
<!-- 32768 + 15 -->
<tmc_provider_set id="32783" use_free_tmc="true"
use_online_traffic="true">
<provider_ref id="1" mode="non-exclusive" />
<provider_ref id="2" mode="non-exclusive" />
<provider_ref id="5" mode="non-exclusive" />
<provider_ref id="9" mode="non-exclusive" />
<provider_ref id="13" mode="non-exclusive" />
</tmc_provider_set>

This is located in Maps > 00 > cfg > mapcfg > VW > Traffic > TMC > TMC Provider Sets > TMCProviderSets.xml

VW have a contract with TrafficMaster in the UK, this is the service which is broadcasted nationwide by Classic FM. So I feel like this is the right value to put in but in saying that, I've done that and restarted the unit - icon is still sitting there... 🤬

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You know, I think I'm getting somewhere!

I saw a post here which indicates that the codes for this are indicate in the media for the maps themselves. I've seen this reported everywhere, referring to the previous DVD based systems from the mark 6 (or older) so I whipped my SD card out and shoved it into my laptop and look what I found:

<!-- TMCpro + Trafficmaster+ infoBlu + viaMichelin + MediaMobile Nordic -->
<!-- 32768 + 15 -->
<tmc_provider_set id="32783" use_free_tmc="true"
use_online_traffic="true">
<provider_ref id="1" mode="non-exclusive" />
<provider_ref id="2" mode="non-exclusive" />
<provider_ref id="5" mode="non-exclusive" />
<provider_ref id="9" mode="non-exclusive" />
<provider_ref id="13" mode="non-exclusive" />
</tmc_provider_set>

This is located in Maps > 00 > cfg > mapcfg > VW > Traffic > TMC > TMC Provider Sets > TMCProviderSets.xml

VW have a contract with TrafficMaster in the UK, this is the service which is broadcasted nationwide by Classic FM. So I feel like this is the right value to put in but in saying that, I've done that and restarted the unit - icon is still sitting there... 🤬
Can you tune in to Classic FM? Are you sure there's even any traffic updates? I only get one or two in the North East. It's a pointless system. Stick to Waze.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Can you tune in to Classic FM? Are you sure there's even any traffic updates? I only get one or two in the North East. It's a pointless system. Stick to Waze.
Yes, it's been tuned in to Classic FM since just after 2:30 this afternoon - no cigar. Doesn't matter what number is set for the TMC Provider, the icon just doesn't shift.

There has to be another entry in the coding, or an adaptation, that's incorrect before this is happening. I just can't figure out what it is at the moment - it's just annoying me more than anything else.

I don't use Waze, I try to give Google as little info as I possibly can.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yes, it's been tuned in to Classic FM since just after 2:30 this afternoon - no cigar. Doesn't matter what number is set for the TMC Provider, the icon just doesn't shift.

There has to be another entry in the coding, or an adaptation, that's incorrect before this is happening. I just can't figure out what it is at the moment - it's just annoying me more than anything else.

I don't use Waze, I try to give Google as little info as I possibly can.
Please don't get your hopes up with TMC. It's really not very good at all.

Good luck on your search.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Please don't get your hopes up with TMC. It's really not very good at all.

Good luck on your search.
It must be something to do with either the license in the sat nav database or another incorrect coding/adaptation on the 5F unit. I'm wondering if I've downloaded the wrong maps from the website since they were updated in June...

I might give that a try, I'm assuming that the TMC icon (with the strike-through) should disappear immediately once the coding is correct, you don't need to wait for a traffic report to be downloaded before it clears?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
It must be something to do with either the license in the sat nav database or another incorrect coding/adaptation on the 5F unit. I'm wondering if I've downloaded the wrong maps from the website since they were updated in June...

I might give that a try, I'm assuming that the TMC icon (with the strike-through) should disappear immediately once the coding is correct, you don't need to wait for a traffic report to be downloaded before it clears?
Yknow I'm not sure.. it's been a while since I went through this ordeal. I seem to recall changing it didn't make much of a difference then all of a sudden one day it worked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Yknow I'm not sure.. it's been a while since I went through this ordeal. I seem to recall changing it didn't make much of a difference then all of a sudden one day it worked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's very odd. I'm going through the XML files in the navigation database at the moment, it looks as if that may be something to do with the delay that's configured there for it to determine when next to scan for new messages.

I'm getting there, slowly...