GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enable and Configure Advanced Bi-Xenon Lighting, MK7 Golf R

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Our NAR headlamps do not have the 'shutters' the EUR headlamps do, therefore the Dynamic Light Assist feature does not operate as intended when using NAR headlamps, even with coding.

That being said, most all of the great Euro functionality can be awakened with the proper coding. I have done so, and it's fabulous.

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
You have the idea

Thanks for the answer ICmaker!

So in your experience you believe our US cars actually have ALL the same technology for all the light features already built in compared to a European counterpart? And with software changes we would get the same function 100% compared to that european model?

I understand that in a lot of situations for VW it is actually cheaper to the make same part in volume and just use software to make sure the car is US DOT compliant vs just making different parts for different countries. I'm wondering if literally all the parts and technology is already in our cars for this reason.

Only up to a point. We have all the capabilities of AFS for our level of hardware, but that level is one below the most advanced mechanical projectors. So we don't have all the hardware to enable Dynamic Light Assist, the most advanced system based on AFS, but the software and enabling bits are there. It may be doable if the hardware pieces are available. Our lights are very capable, though, even without DLA, once they're configured. See the videos for more info.

happy trails....

ICmaker

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Our NAR headlamps do not have the 'shutters' the EUR headlamps do, therefore the Dynamic Light Assist feature does not operate as intended when using NAR headlamps, even with coding.

That being said, most all of the great Euro functionality can be awakened with the proper coding. I have done so, and it's fabulous.

After driving the Santa Cruz mountains with my awakened lights, I have to agree that fabulous isn't too strong a word. They really schein on the freeway, too.

happy trails....

ICmaker

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Thank you so much for dumbing it down so I could understand it. I hope you engineer yourself a better personality one of these days.

What the hell? That snarky comment is just dripping with irony. Guess which one of you I think needs a "better personality" after reading that? Hint: it's not him.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Well I performed all the tweaks, and voila, everything is working properly now, no more error when I enable HBA. Yay! Now for some spirited driving in the dark twisties to observe the differences.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I know some countries outside the US they have more advanced headlights where the light can be shining further down the road and slowly adjust the headlight beam to compensate for other cars. Or that the right headlight can be shining higher while the left one isn't for an oncoming car.

Are you saying that with your coding it can work like that?

I was concerned about this too - there are definitely optional headlights outside of our market that "do more" than the standard HIDs, I've read about them in the past. They are quite pricey as I recall. Tomorrow I'll try to dig up information about them - too late to screw with it tonight.

ICMaker: how is it that all the same tricks can be performed without the upgraded hardware? Something is amiss here.

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
I was concerned about this too - there are definitely optional headlights outside of our market that "do more" than the standard HIDs, I've read about them in the past. They are quite pricey as I recall. Tomorrow I'll try to dig up information about them - too late to screw with it tonight.

ICMaker: how is it that all the same tricks can be performed without the upgraded hardware? Something is amiss here.

If you switch the tech package to the one noted as not supported by mk7r hardware, you'll see that we don't have the latest engineering by any means - the hardware in the mk7r's forward lighting is several years old now. The missing hardware won't be available to participate in the protocol exchange and a bus signal error will set, disabling the advanced system (not the lights, just the tech). I haven't tried every combo, but I'm reasonably certain that all but that one are supported by the hardware present.

These are trick units, just not the latest. Still at least ten times good enough to implement NA standards, though.

I thought this would be apparent from the comments included with the video and vw links. I'm sorry if it's still confusing.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Lob-Star

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the info IC. I think a lot of people here just aren't interested in learning what changes they are making which is sad. They want someone to say "do this for better headlights" and hope the changes don't kill the car or themselves instead of understanding the changes they are making to their high speed death machine.

JDMGolfR

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info IC. I think a lot of people here just aren't interested in learning what changes they are making which is sad. They want someone to say "do this for better headlights" and hope the changes don't kill the car or themselves instead of understanding the changes they are making to their high speed death machine.

^^This!!, the only doubt I have with ICmaker is him concluding this place was the best place to post his findings LOL

*by the way, thanks so much for sharing the info ICmaker!

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
If you switch the tech package to the one noted as not supported by mk7r hardware, you'll see that we don't have the latest engineering by any means - the hardware in the mk7r's forward lighting is several years old now. The missing hardware won't be available to participate in the protocol exchange and a bus signal error will set, disabling the advanced system (not the lights, just the tech). I haven't tried every combo, but I'm reasonably certain that all but that one are supported by the hardware present.

These are trick units, just not the latest. Still at least ten times good enough to implement NA standards, though.

I thought this would be apparent from the comments included with the video and vw links. I'm sorry if it's still confusing.

happy trails....

ICmaker

so i have enable HBA using th eOBD app a few months back does that mean i can just continue to these steps

(2016 & 2017) (Select a hardware supported Technology Package)
09 - Central Electrics – Coding (AFS, FLA, Fernlicht (GLW, MDF) is not supported)
Select: Erweiterte_Fernlichtsteuerung (Advanced High Beam Control)
Change to: AFS, FLA, Fernlicht ueber AFS (default = AFS, FLA, BCM-Fernlicht)
Execute (green check)

(2016 & 2017) (Remove NAR Restrictions)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Coding
Select: market
Change to: ece (Default = nar)
Select: City light (enable AFS patterns)
Change to: enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: rain_light
Change to : enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: all_weather_light
Change to : enabled ( Default = not enabled)
Execute (green check)

55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings (Run & Acknowledge Setup)
Select: Basic headlamp setting
Execute (green check)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings
Select: Acknowledge basic setting
Execute (green check)

or has it already done some of these as well ?

SVTunit

Ready to race!
Thank you so much for dumbing it down so I could understand it. I hope you engineer yourself a better personality one of these days.

Why be such a DICK? Someone took the time to research and post his findings and you come in here a shit on him? Grow the F*UCK up! :rolleyes:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Why be such a DICK? Someone took the time to research and post his findings and you come in here a shit on him? Grow the F*UCK up! :rolleyes:

You're missing the point, noob. Maybe after you've been here more than 5 minutes you'll understand. Unless you're an EE or ME.

Last edited:

Mr.Couch

You're missing the point, noob. Maybe after you've been here more than 5 minutes you'll understand. Unless you're an EE or ME.

noob or not thats incredibly uncalled for, the other guy was being a D!ck. Just an FYI as well you were being one too. I might have a low post count myself but that's just because i just joined after just browsing, not to mention my day job consists of scouring other forums for BMW. I'm no Electrical or Mechanical engineer but you sir are trolling. How about you take the incredible information provided in this thread and either use it or critique it for the better instead of commenting on his internet demeanor.

IC- thank you for the information, i just received my OBDeleven and once i get the appropriate tablet i will be using your findings as one of my first tweaks.

B4YM4X

Only up to a point. We have all the capabilities of AFS for our level of hardware, but that level is one below the most advanced mechanical projectors. So we don't have all the hardware to enable Dynamic Light Assist, the most advanced system based on AFS, but the software and enabling bits are there. It may be doable if the hardware pieces are available. Our lights are very capable, though, even without DLA, once they're configured. See the videos for more info.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Ok I went through all your videos and your two main posts about this and I think I verified what I initially thought after reading your posts. Which is exactly how you put it about us being able to get more features just not the most advanced. I'll try to put it into more laymen's terms for anyone else confused. And ICmaker please correct anything if I am wrong on anything I write below.

NA Mark7 R Bi-Xenon Headlamps support these functions.
Which ones are used and how is determined by the technology package chosen and whether or not a particular function is enabled in the lamps’ controllers.
AUTOMATIC RANGE CONTROL: So we already have this function enabled in our cars. It allows the car to detect extra weight from passengers and such but not from hard acceleration or braking. From my understanding the more advanced functions get enabled through coding to allow the car to compensation for speed, braking, and accelerating.
HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT: This one has been discussed so not going to go into detail here. But I do have one question about this ICmaker. With the other features all enabled will be get a smooth transition to high beam mode now? Where as before and with no other coding the HBA was like a switch, on or off.
AFS: This is another feature where the light will shine into corners. Again we have this feature already from the factory. ICmaker can you confirm if the coding allows this to function "better". Does it turn into corners faster or earlier?
ADAPTIVE BEAM CUTOFF: So if I'm correct we don't have any version of this enabled from the factory. This feature, which can be enabled through coding, will allow us to have low beam that can adjust the angle on side? So for example if a car is passing by on the left side, going in the opposite direction, the left side light can start to shine lower as they pass by while the right side stay more upward? The DLA is what has the extra features to allow "cutouts" for cars correct, where light can still shine left and right of that car? Whereas with our lights the light will shine in front and below the car as it moves closer until its gone and than the light goes back to shining higher?

With additional components, units with architecture similar to NA 2017 R headlamps can also support different versions of this function, called Adaptive Vertical Cutoff by Hella:
DLA: As state above, without possibly upgrading to European headlights (possibly), we don't get the feature to have "cutouts" for cars.

Please let me know if I'm missing any features OR if I'm assuming wrong on how something is supposed to work. Either way if ICmaker is correct and this adds functions to make our lights shine wider or futher down the road vs what we have now, which is just low beam or automatic high beam, this will add alot of function and safety.

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
You are correct

so i have enable HBA using th eOBD app a few months back does that mean i can just continue to these steps

(2016 & 2017) (Select a hardware supported Technology Package)
09 - Central Electrics – Coding (AFS, FLA, Fernlicht (GLW, MDF) is not supported)
Select: Erweiterte_Fernlichtsteuerung (Advanced High Beam Control)
Change to: AFS, FLA, Fernlicht ueber AFS (default = AFS, FLA, BCM-Fernlicht)
Execute (green check)

(2016 & 2017) (Remove NAR Restrictions)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Coding
Select: market
Change to: ece (Default = nar)
Select: City light (enable AFS patterns)
Change to: enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: rain_light
Change to : enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: all_weather_light
Change to : enabled ( Default = not enabled)
Execute (green check)

55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings (Run & Acknowledge Setup)
Select: Basic headlamp setting
Execute (green check)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings
Select: Acknowledge basic setting
Execute (green check)

or has it already done some of these as well ?

If HBA is working, the remaining edits will get you the rest of the way. I have no way of knowing what you may have already changed, e.g. "Market", but it doesn't matter as long as all the settings are correct.

happy trails....

ICmaker