GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enable and Configure Advanced Bi-Xenon Lighting, MK7 Golf R

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I don't really care for your, "I'm an EE, it's not a tweak it's an enhancement condescending attitude".

You, of all people, are going to lecture someone about a condescending attitude??

IC: I just ran through all of your changes, thank you for posting this. I had previously enabled high beam assist, but could never get it to work, getting an error every time I activate my high beams via the menu option. I'm going to give it another field test shortly, will report back on whether that's all squared away now. Glad to have the other features enabled now as well.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Why are you so hostile? I offered only enough background to give context and credibility to pro grade work that I spent weeks on before offering it to everyone freely. Is it so offensive to propose a starting point and ask you to form your own opinion? The amount of noise generated trying to explain exactly how the tech worked would would overwhelm the larger conversation about what it's like to drive the car - just look at the questions so far. I'm willing to discuss my understanding of VW configuration architecture, but that will be more productive if everyone has the common experience of trying it out.

It's been nearly twenty four hours since my initial post, and not one person has bothered to try the procedure and report back. I could understand that if it was difficult, complex, or otherwise too scary, but it's not. I picked this forum to participate with after weeks of reading its posts because I thought you were a sharp bunch of doers - you in particular, sir. And because it appeared you had respect and regard for each other.

It's possible I was wrong....

Here are the links I promised. Live it up.

NA Mark7 R Bi-Xenon Headlamps support these functions.
Which ones are used and how is determined by the technology package chosen and whether or not a particular function is enabled in the lamps’ controllers.

AUTOMATIC RANGE CONTROL: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovat...ary/automatische_leuchtweitenregulierung.html
HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/light_assist.html
AFS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_0G9QtAMo&nohtml5=False
ADAPTIVE BEAM CUTOFF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVxIB84ETNE&nohtml5=False

With additional components, units with architecture similar to NA 2017 R headlamps can also support different versions of this function, called Adaptive Vertical Cutoff by Hella:
DLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o72Yjz-4AT0&nohtml5=False
DLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSLMs5Pma8&nohtml5=False
DLA: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/dynamic_light_assist.html

The far, far future – for NA dwellers, at least:
Hella Matrix LED: https://www.youtube.com/user/HELLAGroup?nohtml5=False
HD Matrix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9f2yp_lrM&nohtml5=False

ICmaker

I doubt you will find two people who care about how the tech works for lighting. I believe people only care about what it does, and if these EU features do enough for the everyday driver to be worth performing. After all, we're not driving in rural Germany at night, where there are no speed limits. And if you think I'm hostile, go post this on Vortex :)

I for one would be interested in knowing why I'm unable to change the driver deactivation inactivity value for Lane Assist to late with my legit VCDS. I believe this adjustment will allow lane assist to operate for a longer period before timing out. Perhaps you would like to investigate. From a German website:

Adjust the deactivation threshold of the driver inactivity
Select STG A5 (camera)
STG Access Permission -> Function 16, Enter the free code 20103
STG Adjustment -> Function 10
Channel Deactivation threshold
Select driver inactivity
Adjust value accordingly
Default value: medium
Options: early, medium, late

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
You're Welcome

You, of all people, are going to lecture someone about a condescending attitude??

IC: I just ran through all of your changes, thank you for posting this. I had previously enabled high beam assist, but could never get it to work, getting an error every time I activate my high beams via the menu option. I'm going to give it another field test shortly, will report back on whether that's all squared away now. Glad to have the other features enabled now as well.

Thanks for listening. The Hella AFS video will give you some ideas for road test scenarios, but the procedure I posted will give different functionality in some situations. For instance, leaving the default tech package in place will be very similar to the video, but the choice I posted will engage Fernlicht (distance beam) at 55 kph, rather than waiting until 120 kph. That difference plus the horizontal movement of the projectors makes for very happy mountain driving. Please drive either configuration in auto mode only. There is a $1.50 OBDeleven app that will make Light Assist persistent.

happy trails....

ICmaker

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Im lost exactly what this thread does. I have high beam assist on what difference is there. Read through your post and still is not straight forward what each step is enabling

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

B4YM4X

Im lost exactly what this thread does. I have high beam assist on what difference is there. Read through your post and still is not straight forward what each step is enabling

I'm trying to follow as this is all new to as well so hopefully I can try to simplify things to ask a few questions that hopefully the OP can answer.

Step 1: So step one is to enable Light assist (2016 models with DAP only). Now you laid out how to do the coding manually step by step which is great. But I've done it through the "apps" from OBDeleven.

Will the end result be exactly the same using the app vs your manual coding?
What did you mean by being persistent if you use the app?
If someone has used the app to enable high beam assist can they just skip to the other steps?

Step 2: Selecting hardware supported Tech Package (2016 and 2017 models). I think this part is what needs explaining the most.

I'm assuming this part is what is allowing the headlights to move more freely?
This is what allows it to move left and right, up and down partially depending on traffic etc?

Step 3: Remove NAR Restrictions.

This part just tells the car it's not a US car so the other features can work?

Step 4: Headlight Regulation - Basic Settings

I'm assuming this part is just to run the re-calibration for the headlights?

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
I doubt you will find two people who care about how the tech works for lighting. I believe people only care about what it does, and if these EU features do enough for the everyday driver to be worth performing. After all, we're not driving in rural Germany at night, where there are no speed limits. And if you think I'm hostile, go post this on Vortex :)

I for one would be interested in knowing why I'm unable to change the driver deactivation inactivity value for Lane Assist to late with my legit VCDS. I believe this adjustment will allow lane assist to operate for a longer period before timing out. Perhaps you would like to investigate. From a German website:

Adjust the deactivation threshold of the driver inactivity
Select STG A5 (camera)
STG Access Permission -> Function 16, Enter the free code 20103
STG Adjustment -> Function 10
Channel Deactivation threshold
Select driver inactivity
Adjust value accordingly
Default value: medium
Options: early, medium, late

Anyone who doesn't care how things work is welcome to ignore that aspect, but they won't be figuring out the next "enhancement", they'll be waiting for someone else to do it. It appears to me that the headlight system must be the simplest in the car; the controls for the rest of the lights are very intimidating. And Vortex members can read about the tech here if they're interested.

The EU settings are like day to NAR's night; you won't be disappointed no matter what your driving environment.

I remember your post about the inactivity setting in lane assist. I 'll have a look and see what might be possible - maybe the ease of navigation in OBD will reveal something harder to see in vcds.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
I was waiting for dark to take a ride after using your "procedure". I honestly see no difference from what I already had set, sorry. Granted I had most of those settings already set because I like to play around with things. You definitely sound like you're fun at parties though.

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm trying to follow as this is all new to as well so hopefully I can try to simplify things to ask a few questions that hopefully the OP can answer.

Step 1: So step one is to enable Light assist (2016 models with DAP only). Now you laid out how to do the coding manually step by step which is great. But I've done it through the "apps" from OBDeleven.

Will the end result be exactly the same using the app vs your manual coding?
What did you mean by being persistent if you use the app?
If someone has used the app to enable high beam assist can they just skip to the other steps?

Step 2: Selecting hardware supported Tech Package (2016 and 2017 models). I think this part is what needs explaining the most.

I'm assuming this part is what is allowing the headlights to move more freely?
This is what allows it to move left and right, up and down partially depending on traffic etc?

Step 3: Remove NAR Restrictions.

This part just tells the car it's not a US car so the other features can work?

Step 4: Headlight Regulation - Basic Settings

I'm assuming this part is just to run the re-calibration for the headlights?

1) Not the app to enable Light Assist, but the new one that keeps you from having to turn it on after every start. It's at the top of the list because it's new. The enable app does the same thing my edits do. All three sections are independent of one another; just do the part(s) you want/need, along with the last section. Without section three, you are nowhere. (each section is marked by the appropriate model year in the left comment field.)

2) It would be more accurate to say that the tech package tells the lights to do those things, and setting the headlight controllers to ece allows them to occur - much like enabling rain_light allows the rain sensor to override, let's say country beam, to project the rain pattern.

3) That's correct, but base features must be enabled in the headlight controller for the software to be able to use them; hence the enabling of the light patterns.

4) It won't work without the basic setting procedure - an error will disable it. You only need to do it as a result of editing the light controllers.

happy trails....

ICmaker

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed

I know it's a lot to absorb, the comments are intentionally terse so that they are precise. Please watch the videos for an idea of what to expect; they will give you a much more coherent view than I can in a post of reasonable girth.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
I know it's a lot to absorb, the comments are intentionally terse so that they are precise. Please watch the videos for an idea of what to expect; they will give you a much more coherent view than I can in a post of reasonable girth.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Maybe explain it more slowly to us serfs. I just can't get over how pedantic you sound. But whatever man, I've been messing with those settings since week 1 of owning the car. Maybe if I made a pretentious post like yours about it I'd get that gold star you're looking for.

Last edited:

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe explain it more slowly to us serfs. I just can't get over how pedantic you sound.

I apologize; it's just the way I write about tech. It's very typical of people who've been in an engineering environment for a long time. It comes from a constant, conscious effort to express ideas with precision.That's absolutely necessary to avoid burning vast amounts of money through "churn" (confused, diffuse effort).

I'm really pretty normal when not discussing tech.

How about this:

This change will make your headlights work better by making them more like European lights - you will have more light to see by, others will be bothered less by it, and it will all happen without you having to fuss over it. For more details, follow the links in my post above.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
I apologize; it's just the way I write about tech. It's very typical of people who've been in an engineering environment for a long time. It comes from a constant, conscious effort to express ideas with precision.That's absolutely necessary to avoid burning vast amounts of money through "churn" (confused, diffuse effort).

I'm really pretty normal when not discussing tech.

How about this:

This change will make your headlights work better by making them more like European lights - you will have more light to see by, others will be bothered less by it, and it will all happen without you having to fuss over it. For more details, follow the links in my post above.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Thank you so much for dumbing it down so I could understand it. I hope you engineer yourself a better personality one of these days.

DiscoStu73

I thought your first posting was excellent. Precise and to the point. I also appreciate the background information on the codings as well as info about yourself for cred.
Thank you for sharing.

B4YM4X

1) Not the app to enable Light Assist, but the new one that keeps you from having to turn it on after every start. It's at the top of the list because it's new. The enable app does the same thing my edits do. All three sections are independent of one another; just do the part(s) you want/need, along with the last section. Without section three, you are nowhere. (each section is marked by the appropriate model year in the left comment field.)

2) It would be more accurate to say that the tech package tells the lights to do those things, and setting the headlight controllers to ece allows them to occur - much like enabling rain_light allows the rain sensor to override, let's say country beam, to project the rain pattern.

3) That's correct, but base features must be enabled in the headlight controller for the software to be able to use them; hence the enabling of the light patterns.

4) It won't work without the basic setting procedure - an error will disable it. You only need to do it as a result of editing the light controllers.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Thanks for the answer ICmaker!

So in your experience you believe our US cars actually have ALL the same technology for all the light features already built in compared to a European counterpart? And with software changes we would get the same function 100% compared to that european model?

I understand that in a lot of situations for VW it is actually cheaper to the make same part in volume and just use software to make sure the car is US DOT compliant vs just making different parts for different countries. I'm wondering if literally all the parts and technology is already in our cars for this reason.

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks

I thought your first posting was excellent. Precise and to the point. I also appreciate the background information on the codings as well as info about yourself for cred.
Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for the kind words. I think the systems are really interesting, so I put a lot of energy into learning about the tecnology. I also believe that US lighting standards are dangerous to everyone.

happy trails....

ICmaker