GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enable and Configure Advanced Bi-Xenon Lighting, MK7 Golf R

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Please allow me to introduce myself. I’m a retired electrical engineer with a passion for cars. I was a heavy unit Porsche tech until age 35, when I went back to school and ended up working in Silicon Valley for 25 years. I bought my daughter an M6 2016 R last summer. When my 2010 Corvette began to require too much cash infusion, I sold it and bought my own DSG 2017 R in January.

Here I offer my first contribution to the community - an OBDeleven edit that will unchain your neutered, weak-assed Bi-Xenon Scheinwerferen in about ten minutes. I’ve tested it on my 2017 R and on my daughter’s 2016 in multiple versions and have pages of notes from test drives, pictures of different modes, technology papers from Hella, YouTube videos, etc., but I present the edit here in the simplest form possible to limit confusion and churn.

This is not the only functional configuration, but it’s the best I’ve tested so far. Some of the features it enables: missing AFS beam patterns; adaptive horizontal beam cutoff for same flow and oncoming traffic concurrently; distance beam (Fernlicht) beginning at 55 kph with extended AFS steering response.

I recommend either running the $1.50 OBDeleven app or coding to make auto light control persistent.

happy trails….

ICmaker

Legal (Not DOT approved; for off road use only.)
Setup (Parked on level surface; OBDeleven; ignition on; current consumers off)
Restrictions (Driver Assist cars only, OEM; a homelink mirror will support the function in the absence of DA)

(2016) (Turn on light assist for the 2016)
A5 - Front Sensors Driver Assistance – Coding
Select: AFS__coding_Light_Assist
Change to: High_Beam_Assist (default for 2016 = no_Light_Assist)
Execute (green check)

09 - Central Electrics – Adaptation (Enable selection via menu)
Select: Assistance light functions
Select: Menuesteuerung Fernlichtassistent Werkseinstellung (Menu control Remote lighting assistant Factory setting)
Select: Present (default for 2016 = Not present)
Execute (green check)

(Car => Setup => Lights to enable Light Assist)

(2016 & 2017) (Select a hardware supported Technology Package)
09 - Central Electrics – Coding (AFS, FLA, Fernlicht (GLW, MDF) is not supported)
Select: Erweiterte_Fernlichtsteuerung (Advanced High Beam Control)
Change to: AFS, FLA, Fernlicht ueber AFS (default = AFS, FLA, BCM-Fernlicht)
Execute (green check)

(2016 & 2017) (Remove NAR Restrictions)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Coding
Select: market
Change to: ece (Default = nar)
Select: City light (enable AFS patterns)
Change to: enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: rain_light
Change to : enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: all_weather_light
Change to : enabled ( Default = not enabled)
Execute (green check)

55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings (Run & Acknowledge Setup)
Select: Basic headlamp setting
Execute (green check)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings
Select: Acknowledge basic setting
Execute (green check)

Last edited:

Lob-Star

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for this! What can I expect from this on my 2017 that already has light assist turned on? Honestly, aside from the headlights turning a little I've only noticed the high beams come on a few times.

zvwggtip09

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this just got the high-beam assist which comes standard on 17s? Or the much more advanced adaptive heads available in Europe but not here which adjusts with oncoming traffic automatically up, down, left or right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Please allow me to introduce myself. I’m a retired electrical engineer with a passion for cars. I was a heavy unit Porsche tech until age 35, when I went back to school and ended up working in Silicon Valley for 25 years. I bought my daughter an M6 2016 R last summer. When my 2010 Corvette began to require too much cash infusion, I sold it and bought my own DSG 2017 R in January.

Here I offer my first contribution to the community - an OBDeleven edit that will unchain your neutered, weak-assed Bi-Xenon Scheinwerferen in about ten minutes. I’ve tested it on my 2017 R and on my daughter’s 2016 in multiple versions and have pages of notes from test drives, pictures of different modes, technology papers from Hella, YouTube videos, etc., but I present the edit here in the simplest form possible to limit confusion and churn.

This is not the only functional configuration, but it’s the best I’ve tested so far. Some of the features it enables: missing AFS beam patterns; adaptive horizontal beam cutoff for same flow and oncoming traffic concurrently; distance beam (Fernlicht) beginning at 55 kph with extended AFS steering response.

I recommend either running the $1.50 OBDeleven app or coding to make auto light control persistent.

happy trails….

ICmaker

Legal (Not DOT approved; for off road use only.)
Setup (Parked on level surface; OBDeleven; ignition on; current consumers off)

(2016) (Turn on light assist for the 2016)
A5 - Front Sensors Driver Assistance – Coding
Select: AFS__coding_Light_Assist
Change to: High_Beam_Assist (default for 2016 = no_Light_Assist)
Execute (green check)

09 - Central Electrics – Adaptation (Enable selection via menu)
Select: Assistance light functions
Select: Menuesteuerung Fernlichtassistent Werkseinstellung (Menu control Remote lighting assistant Factory setting)
Select: Present (default for 2016 = Not present)
Execute (green check)

(Car => Setup => Lights to enable Light Assist)

(2016 & 2017) (Select a hardware supported Technology Package)
09 - Central Electrics – Coding (AFS, FLA, Fernlicht (GLW, MDF) is not supported)
Select: Erweiterte_Fernlichtsteuerung (Advanced High Beam Control)
Change to: AFS, FLA, Fernlicht ueber AFS (default = AFS, FLA, BCM-Fernlicht)
Execute (green check)

(2016 & 2017) (Remove NAR Restrictions)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Coding
Select: market
Change to: ece (Default = nar)
Select: City light (enable AFS patterns)
Change to: enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: rain_light
Change to : enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: all_weather_light
Change to : enabled ( Default = not enabled)
Execute (green check)

55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings (Run & Acknowledge Setup)
Select: Basic headlamp setting
Execute (green check)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings
Select: Acknowledge basic setting
Execute (green check)

OK, exactly what does each function do, since I doubt anyone else in the U.S. is both an EE and studied this like you. There are already threads about enabling "HBA" on 2016 cars and removing NAR restictions on both. So precisely what do your tweaks do?

Did you do the "4-light" tweak to the rear lights? That's much more useful from a safety and aesthetics standpoint.

One other question, why are you messing around with OBD11 when it seems you can easily afford VCDS, which is far superior?

Last edited:

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, exactly what does each function do, since I doubt anyone else in the U.S. is both an EE and studied this like you. There are already threads about enabling "HBA" on 2016 cars and removing NAR restictions on both. So precisely what do your tweaks do?

Did you do the "4-light" tweak to the rear lights? That's much more useful from a safety and aesthetics standpoint.

One other question, why are you messing around with OBD11 when it seems you can easily afford VCDS, which is far superior?

The purpose of each edit is clearly noted in the the descriptive documentation. This is not a tweak, but a reconfiguration using VW's own architecture. What it does is is provide advanced ECE headlight function with very little effort, using either OBDeleven or vcds.

I think you'll have a different opinion, once you see the result, about what is useful and what is not. I believe in rear lighting safety - I have Scandinavian drl enabled, as well as emergency braking flash, brake lights with open hatch, etc. All those mods together don't come close to what this does for you & everyone around you when driving at night.

As to vcds being superior to OBDeleven, that's a matter of personal preference. While it's true that vcds does things that OBD cannot (yet), its opaque user interface makes for a steep learning curve and a fragmented experimental process - sort of like the difference in experience between programming a mainframe computer using punch cards, and writing code on a PC. It only took me a few days of browsing with OBD to see the architectural pattern I used to devise the edits. A couple of reasonable assumptions and a little good luck and I had a method of trying different feature sets without confusion or wasted time.

I know the simplicity of what I'm showing you is surprising, but you need only to try it to judge its value for yourself. Though it's easily reversible, I'm certain no one will revert to driving in the dark after a test drive. If you want to try a different setup from the one I posted, omit the edit for the technology package. The default group will give a somewhat different experience, using more of the AFS lighting patterns (after enabling them) and reserving Fernlicht (literally "remote light") for speeds above 120 kph.

What we have here is nothing less than the ability to configure our lights as they are used in other markets, the way VWAG does - all at once, and without confusion or wasted effort.

My experimental notes aren't for publication, but I'll post some links today to material that will show some of the features you will see in the system under operating conditions.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Last edited:

zvwggtip09

Passed Driver's Ed
If I have the High-Beam assist already on, and the NAR rules for 55 already disabled, what functions will these add to what I already have ranked?

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Please Read the Documentation

If I have the High-Beam assist already on, and the NAR rules for 55 already disabled, what functions will these add to what I already have ranked?

As I said in my second post, later today I will provide links to videos and documents describing broadly the features to look for. I've only explored two configurations thoroughly, and both have so many nuances that it's challenging to compile a complete list following a test drive. In my first two posts, I've touched on what I feel are the most important items. For more specific information, I respectfully suggest that interested parties conduct their own field investigation.

happy trails....

ICmaker

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
For high beam assist on 16s you'll have to have a DAP equipped Golf R. Non DAP cars do not have the camera in the review mirror for it to work. The flip side is that non-DAP 16s can use the homelink mirror from VW that you can get for $210.

The high beam assist stuff isn't new but this is a nice writeup. Looking forward to your videos.

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks

For high beam assist on 16s you'll have to have a DAP equipped Golf R. Non DAP cars do not have the camera in the review mirror for it to work. The flip side is that non-DAP 16s can use the homelink mirror from VW that you can get for $210.

The high beam assist stuff isn't new but this is a nice writeup. Looking forward to your videos.

The high beam assist is included for completeness. It's needed to enable the advanced light functions and not everyone with a 2016 has done it.

Your point about hardware support for non DAP cars is a good one - I'll add it to the documentation fields of the procedure.

The links I promised are almost done.

happy trails....

ICmaker

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't really care for your, "I'm an EE, it's not a tweak it's an enhancement condescending attitude". There are many EE and ME engineers here, and not one ever bragged about it in their first post. Then you think it's beneath you to explain exactly what your "enhancements" actually do? Snob much?

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
I don't really care for your, "I'm an EE, it's not a tweak it's an enhancement condescending attitude". There are many EE and ME engineers here, and not one ever bragged about it in their first post. Then you think it's beneath you to explain exactly what your "enhancements" actually do? Snob much?

I'll just leave this here:

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed

Why are you so hostile? I offered only enough background to give context and credibility to pro grade work that I spent weeks on before offering it to everyone freely. Is it so offensive to propose a starting point and ask you to form your own opinion? The amount of noise generated trying to explain exactly how the tech worked would overwhelm the larger conversation about what it's like to drive the car - just look at the questions so far. I'm willing to discuss my understanding of VW configuration architecture, but that will be more productive if everyone has the common experience of trying it out.

It's been nearly twenty four hours since my initial post, and not one person has bothered to try the procedure and report back. I could understand that if it was difficult, complex, or otherwise too scary, but it's not. I picked this forum to participate with after weeks of reading its posts because I thought you were a sharp bunch of doers - you in particular, sir. And because it appeared you had respect and regard for each other.

It's possible I was wrong....

Here are the links I promised. Live it up.

NA Mark7 R Bi-Xenon Headlamps support these functions.
Which ones are used and how is determined by the technology package chosen and whether or not a particular function is enabled in the lamps’ controllers.

AUTOMATIC RANGE CONTROL: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovat...ary/automatische_leuchtweitenregulierung.html
HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/light_assist.html
AFS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_0G9QtAMo&nohtml5=False
ADAPTIVE BEAM CUTOFF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVxIB84ETNE&nohtml5=False

With additional components, units with architecture similar to NA 2017 R headlamps can also support different versions of this function, called Adaptive Vertical Cutoff by Hella:
DLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o72Yjz-4AT0&nohtml5=False
DLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSLMs5Pma8&nohtml5=False
DLA: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/dynamic_light_assist.html

The far, far future – for NA dwellers, at least:
Hella Matrix LED: https://www.youtube.com/user/HELLAGroup?nohtml5=False
HD Matrix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9f2yp_lrM&nohtml5=False

ICmaker

Last edited:

B4YM4X

Why are you so hostile? I offered only enough background to give context and credibility to pro grade work that I spent weeks on before offering it to everyone freely. Is it so offensive to propose a starting point and ask you to form your own opinion? The amount of noise generated trying to explain exactly how the tech worked would would overwhelm the larger conversation about what it's like to drive the car - just look at the questions so far. I'm willing to discuss my understanding of VW configuration architecture, but that will be more productive if everyone has the common experience of trying it out.

It's been nearly twenty four hours since my initial post, and not one person has bothered to try the procedure and report back. I could understand that if it was difficult, complex, or otherwise too scary, but it's not. I picked this forum to participate with after weeks of reading its posts because I thought you were a sharp bunch of doers - you in particular, sir. And because it appeared you had respect and regard for each other.

It's possible I was wrong....

Here are the links I promised. Live it up.

NA Mark7 R Bi-Xenon Headlamps support these functions.
Which ones are used and how is determined by the technology package chosen and whether or not a particular function is enabled in the lamps’ controllers.

AUTOMATIC RANGE CONTROL: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovat...ary/automatische_leuchtweitenregulierung.html
HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/light_assist.html
AFS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_0G9QtAMo&nohtml5=False
ADAPTIVE BEAM CUTOFF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVxIB84ETNE&nohtml5=False

With additional components, units with architecture similar to NA 2017 R headlamps can also support different versions of this function, called Adaptive Vertical Cutoff by Hella:
DLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o72Yjz-4AT0&nohtml5=False
DLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSLMs5Pma8&nohtml5=False
DLA: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/dynamic_light_assist.html

The far, far future – for NA dwellers, at least:
Hella Matrix LED: https://www.youtube.com/user/HELLAGroup?nohtml5=False
HD Matrix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9f2yp_lrM&nohtml5=False

ICmaker

I actually saw this thread this morning and I was very intrigued by it.

However I was a bit confused as to what exactly all your coding will accomplish. For example alot of your coding is things people have done correct?

I know some countries outside the US they have more advanced headlights where the light can be shining further down the road and slowly adjust the headlight beam to compensate for other cars. Or that the right headlight can be shining higher while the left one isn't for an oncoming car.

Are you saying that with your coding it can work like that?

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Correct

I actually saw this thread this morning and I was very intrigued by it.

However I was a bit confused as to what exactly all your coding will accomplish. For example alot of your coding is things people have done correct?

I know some countries outside the US they have more advanced headlights where the light can be shining further down the road and slowly adjust the headlight beam to compensate for other cars. Or that the right headlight can be shining higher while the left one isn't for an oncoming car.

Are you saying that with your coding it can work like that?

I'm saying that it does work like that, yes. And then some. See the links and note in my post above.

happy trails....

ICmaker