GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emmanuele springs loud after install - thoughts?

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
I just installed VWR springs with the same ECS HD kit and i'm getting similar noises. No clicks just creeking and noises over harsh bumps. Its fine 90% of the time. I did install them myself. So I don't think the springs are the problem.

Do anyone know which bolts/ nuts need to be torqued down with the car fully on the ground?

Edit: I also notice more noise when its cold in the mornings. Its been around 40- 45 degrees out here

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Please forgive the noob question but...are these HD kits essential when installing springs?

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
Please forgive the noob question but...are these HD kits essential when installing springs?

No you can get OEM strut bearings and strut mounts but I thought it would be a good idea to swap them out with something more heavy duty since the springs lower the car 1.2 for both VWR and ED's.

Also I was at 26k miles so it was also a preventive maintenance thing.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
This thread has completely convinced me not to mess with lowering my car. OP I am sorry your problems.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
I wouldn't let this scare you out of springs, it seems like either a problem with the mounts/bearings or something wrong with the install.

OP: I wouldn't go try to put it back to stock so soon. Have you re-torqued everything? Strut nut on top, the 3 strut bolts on top on either side, ball joints?

I noticed when I first started hearing the noise and got my car on a lift that my spring seemed to move around more then usual when I really put in effort to pull on it. So I ran my top strut nut down with an impact and it stopped the noise.... until it got colder out and now the noise is coming back over very harsh bumps. I'm going to try to re-torque everything with the car's weight on the suspension and see if that helps

EDIT: BTW I have put over 600 miles on the new suspension, idk how many miles you have on your but maybe it just needs to be re-torqued to spec after some driving

Last edited:

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
This thread has completely convinced me not to mess with lowering my car. OP I am sorry your problems.
This is the exception, not the rule. It sucks that this is happening to the OP but it is not the norm. I have had the same springs, Emmanuele Design, for several months now and they have performed perfectly. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be getting the Emmanuele Design rear sway bar soon. It was designed to work in conjunction with their springs. The lowered, more aggressive stance and the increase in the performance of the handling of the vehicle make it well worth it.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
This is the exception, not the rule. It sucks that this is happening to the OP but it is not the norm. I have had the same springs, Emmanuele Design, for several months now and they have performed perfectly. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be getting the Emmanuele Design rear sway bar soon. It was designed to work in conjunction with their springs. The lowered, more aggressive stance and the increase in the performance of the handling of the vehicle make it well worth it.

Out of curiosity did you replace the strut mounts and bearings? If so did you go with OEM? Also what mileage did you install the springs at?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
My issues are worse in cold as well.

Just got some lithium grease today. I've read of others having noises go away once everything was lubricated.

Cam1

95% fixed by the installer. They reinstalled the cowl under the hood and almost every squeak went away. They didn't find anything specific, but re-installing the cowl seemed to do the trick. Damn plastic in cars will haunt me forever!

Anyway, over the harshest of bumps there's still a small click from the front end. But it almost never happens. I may dig into the cowl myself if there's a warm, dry weekend this winter. Or I may wait until spring.

There's also a small rattle out back over harsh bumps. They checked the car 6 ways to Sunday and didn't find anything loose with the rear springs so it may just be another interior rattle that's developed. When I remove the wheels to install the spacers and splash guards this weekend I'll be sure to check the wheel wells for any loose plastic, cables, hoses, etc.

Anyway, the Emmanuele springs look and ride great. I'll grab some pics this weekend.

Maybe it's just me but I would be extremely upset.
They didn't fully tighten something.
Nothing should squeak or make any type of sound. Maybe if it's too low your tire might be rubbing but nothing from your suspension should sound.
I would go in to the shop upset and explain to the owner or whoever is in charge that they either fix the issue or to return to stock and to get a refund.
I've done many spring installs and never has that happened. Don't let them take advantage of you.

lokerola

Ready to race!
What is arm and leg price?
I had Dealer quote $325 for bearing mount and I provide parts.
No alignment.
I had a Euro Shop quote $400. No alignment.
I have a light piping sound in low speed turns. Dealer says one spring bearing is bad. This was an ECS HD Spring Install Kit.

The labor is $400 to do the spring swap, plus $150 for the alignment, so it costs me $650 every time I do a spring swap. The springs were $300, and the ECS HD kit was about $300. I'm into this for $1200 so far, and to put it all back to stock is going to cost me another $650 in labor. Close to 2K wasted.

I just installed VWR springs with the same ECS HD kit and i'm getting similar noises. No clicks just creeking and noises over harsh bumps. Its fine 90% of the time. I did install them myself. So I don't think the springs are the problem.

Do anyone know which bolts/ nuts need to be torqued down with the car fully on the ground?

Edit: I also notice more noise when its cold in the mornings. Its been around 40- 45 degrees out here

Yea, it's worse for me when it's cold (below 35), but it always happens over certain bumps or undulations in the road. Don't know about which bolts need to be tightened, but Emmanuele Design has a nice vid on their site on how to install/uninstall the springs - might help you

I was under the impression that they're not needed, but stock ones can wear out quickly, and that these HD ones should last a long time and not make noise.

No you can get OEM strut bearings and strut mounts but I thought it would be a good idea to swap them out with something more heavy duty since the springs lower the car 1.2 for both VWR and ED's.

I did the same, thinking it would be a good preventative maint thing.

Thanks. I'm wishing I had never touched it. Could have put all the money into my sons college savings plan. I really am feeling pissed about the whole thing.

I wouldn't let this scare you out of springs, it seems like either a problem with the mounts/bearings or something wrong with the install.

OP: I wouldn't go try to put it back to stock so soon. Have you re-torqued everything? Strut nut on top, the 3 strut bolts on top on either side, ball joints?

I noticed when I first started hearing the noise and got my car on a lift that my spring seemed to move around more then usual when I really put in effort to pull on it. So I ran my top strut nut down with an impact and it stopped the noise.... until it got colder out and now the noise is coming back over very harsh bumps. I'm going to try to re-torque everything with the car's weight on the suspension and see if that helps

EDIT: BTW I have put over 600 miles on the new suspension, idk how many miles you have on your but maybe it just needs to be re-torqued to spec after some driving

All excellent ideas, but I don't have the garage, tools, or time to pull the springs myself. At this point I'm going to throw in the towel and go back to stock - this has been too much of a nightmare for me.

I agree my experience is the exception. It's got to be the parts or the install, but I'm at the end of my rope. I had the shop look at all the parts and check the install, so I'm not sure what else to do to check the parts. And the shop itself is highly reputable German shop and they've bent over backwards to look at the car multiple times. No one can figure out this darn thing out. I guess I could find another shop? But I'm going to pay big bucks in labor to have this torn apart again. I can't keep throwing $650 bucks at this car over and over again, and I can't keep spending time worrying about dropping off and picking up my car and getting my son from school, etc.

Anyway, if there weren't tons of good people on here and other forums with successful spring installs, this wouldn't drive me so crazy. But I would say 99% of the people have springs installed with no issues. I seem to be the unfortunate exception.

Just got some lithium grease today. I've read of others having noises go away once everything was lubricated.

Good luck, hope that works.

Maybe it's just me but I would be extremely upset.
They didn't fully tighten something.
Nothing should squeak or make any type of sound. Maybe if it's too low your tire might be rubbing but nothing from your suspension should sound.
I would go in to the shop upset and explain to the owner or whoever is in charge that they either fix the issue or to return to stock and to get a refund.
I've done many spring installs and never has that happened. Don't let them take advantage of you.

Yea, I'm going to have them take it all out and put the stock suspension back on.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

I see. Just upgrading the strut bearings and mounts as a proactive measure. But not necessarily a requirement. Doesn't seem as though many people are doing this with their spring installs.

Any kind of squeaks / rattles in the suspension post-spring install would drive me nuts. OP - sorry to hear that this has been such a pain for you.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity did you replace the strut mounts and bearings? If so did you go with OEM? Also what mileage did you install the springs at?
Nope. My GTI was still very new. I had approx. 1500 miles on it when the springs were installed. I went directly to Emmanuele Design and they said it wasn't necessary.

I agree my experience is the exception. It's got to be the parts or the install, but I'm at the end of my rope. I had the shop look at all the parts and check the install, so I'm not sure what else to do to check the parts. And the shop itself is highly reputable German shop and they've bent over backwards to look at the car multiple times. No one can figure out this darn thing out. I guess I could find another shop? But I'm going to pay big bucks in labor to have this torn apart again. I can't keep throwing $650 bucks at this car over and over again, and I can't keep spending time worrying about dropping off and picking up my car and getting my son from school, etc.

Anyway, if there weren't tons of good people on here and other forums with successful spring installs, this wouldn't drive me so crazy. But I would say 99% of the people have springs installed with no issues. I seem to be the unfortunate exception.
I'm sorry that you have had to go through all of this. It's a shame that you have to go back to stock. $650 is a lot for spring install and alignment. IDK maybe I just got lucky because I paid $350 ($250 for springs and $100 for alignment). I'm lucky that Emmanuele Design is only like 30-45 minutes from me. They always hook it up with very affordable prices and quality work. My Neuspeed catted dp and Emmanuele Design rear sway bar are going on this weekend. Anyways, good luck man. If you do any future mods, hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Where are you applying the grease?
I have sprayed some lube in places and helps but wanted to know where you thought grease should be applied. Grease would last longer.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Having done a bunch of installs, I've never had to use any "grease" or "lube"

And having to do so, doesn't solve the actual problem

If it works for you, okay, but it really shouldn't be needed (none on there from the factory, for example) if everything is correct

lokerola

Ready to race!
Well folks, I just had all the stock parts put back in, and it's quiet again. Silence is a thing of beauty when it comes to suspensions!

I'll probably be posting the ED springs and ECS kit for sale tomorrow if someone wants to snatch them up.

My wallet will be hurting from this this little adventure for a while.