GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emissions/Smog in MA

xanderlake_22

Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI
Hi everyone, I am from Miami but going to school in Boston next year. What is the deal with smog and emissions? I am going stage 2 and debating between straight piping and putting a high flow cat.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Hi everyone, I am from Miami but going to school in Boston next year. What is the deal with smog and emissions? I am going stage 2 and debating between straight piping and putting a high flow cat.
If you're getting an MA plate you NEED a cat... And even that may not get you past emissions. Your stage 2 will need to NOT disable the o2 sensor or you won't pass emissions.

I'd leave it registered to your FL address. That said... Just get a catted downpipe. It smells less, barely makes less power, and doesn't destroy the environment.

xanderlake_22

Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI
If you're getting an MA plate you NEED a cat... And even that may not get you past emissions. Your stage 2 will need to NOT disable the o2 sensor or you won't pass emissions.

I'd leave it registered to your FL address. That said... Just get a catted downpipe. It smells less, barely makes less power, and doesn't destroy the environment.
Thanks boss, appreciate it.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I agree don't register the car in MA. That said, if you live here and park it on the street in Boston the cops may harass you for having out of state plates. It's not a guarantee that they will but they could.

Are you actually going to school in the city or did you just say Boston generally and you'll be in Somerville or cambridge?

xanderlake_22

Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI
I agree don't register the car in MA. That said, if you live here and park it on the street in Boston the cops may harass you for having out of state plates. It's not a guarantee that they will but they could.

Are you actually going to school in the city or did you just say Boston generally and you'll be in Somerville or cambridge?
I said Boston generally, but I'll be in Newton.