GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emission Service Action 24FX

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Has anyone else with a 2019 or newer received this letter from VW? If so and you are tuned what are you going to do?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
According to this service action document, a GFF log is submitted once this update is completed (page 9). As a result of this log being submitted, if your ECU is flashed/tuned, your car will be flagged as TD1.

You can however, refuse to perform the update (page 2).

scott59

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI S 6MT
I got it today, just happen to get my JB4 in the mail also, so not installed yet, (not that a piggyback will be detected, but who knows?).
Thinking I may call the dealer and see what they say. Not sure if this is related to the stalling issue with the early 19's. Mine started stalling a few weeks after buying (2 years ago), they had it for a couple days and fixed it, didn't have anything to do with the catalytic converter though. Sounds like this may be a bigger deal in California.

1of2.jpg 2of2.jpg

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Got my letter just now, the way I read the part about tuned ECUs are that if you want the update they're charging you service time to update to stock (whether or not you reverted) and then they perform the update.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
According to this service action document, a GFF log is submitted once this update is completed (page 9). As a result of this log being submitted, if your ECU is flashed/tuned, your car will be flagged as TD1.

You can however, refuse to perform the update (page 2).
I think that is the previous one the new one is 24FX.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Got my letter just now, the way I read the part about tuned ECUs are that if you want the update they're charging you service time to update to stock (whether or not you reverted) and then they perform the update.
Yea I am thinking since I have never had any issues with my car I may just ignore it.

cb1111

If you are in California AND you want to renew your registration at some point in the future, then you'll need to do the update.

If your ECU is modified, then they'll charge you to revert back to stock AND will flag the car.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

Once your ECU is flashed with an aftermarket tune, it doesn’t matter if you (or the dealer) flash back to stock, you’ve compromised the ECU and a GFF log submitted to Volkswagen will flag your VIN as TD1. There are system integrity protection methods in place for this exact reason.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I'm moving. 😂
Yea up until 2020 every other year I had to swap out my computer on the Celica to go through emissions. Luckily it was a 5 min job lol.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
CA luckily has a new rule where basically if you’re car is 2016 (I think) or newer you don’t need to smog it for 8 years. The first four model years you don’t need to smog and the next 4 you can just pay a “smog abatement fee.” So theoretically for my 2017 I won’t need to smog until 2025.

cb1111

CA luckily has a new rule where basically if you’re car is 2016 (I think) or newer you don’t need to smog it for 8 years. The first four model years you don’t need to smog and the next 4 you can just pay a “smog abatement fee.” So theoretically for my 2017 I won’t need to smog until 2025.
But you still need to do recalls or you can't renew your registration.

My nephew procrastinated on the shift interlock recall and had to deadline his car until he could get it towed to the dealer as his registration expired and he couldn't get it renewed until he got the recall done.