GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

elevation change while tuned

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So my company Has me working in South Dakota starting next week and I will be there for about 65 days. This is a rare te my family will be joining me due to the distance and length of stay. That all being said, I will be taking the R with me. Mods are in my signature. i have a few questions. First, my current elevation Is around 500', leads SD is around 5000'. What precaution Do I need to take with my stage 2 tune? I have obd11 but no other loging devices as of right now. With some guidance I could pull some logs with it when I get there to see how it does. Second, if anyone is from around that area, how is the snow management for the roads? I know it is all wheel drive, but is really low to the ground. Will I have a problem with snow? Third, this is the first long trip in the car, (almost 1300 miles one way). I'll be doing an oil change monday in preparation for the trip, is there any other preventive maintenance that I should do beforehand? The car is just about to click over the 10k mile mark. Thanks in advance!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No precaution for the tune. It will adjust to the altitude. Just check all the fluid levels and make sure that you have the proper amount of antifreeze in the coolant.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
You have nothing to worry about. I drive from 6000 ft to over 11000 ft in less than an hour all the time.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Anyone know what octane premium gas is where he is going? Well, since we don't know the city I guess it's hard to say.
This would probably be your only concern. Depending on area you may not have access to your required octane if you've tuned above 91.. and even then, you might have issue depending on where you go. Might wanna check out GasBuddy or some similar app/site to check ahead if you don't know for sure. At least then you can either de-tune or carry some octane booster.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Leads SD. Damn good question on octane. I'm stage 2 Unitronic, so I'm assuming 93 octane. (That's all I ever run.) Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into the octane Of the stations along the way.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
So my company Has me working in South Dakota starting next week and I will be there for about 65 days. This is a rare te my family will be joining me due to the distance and length of stay. That all being said, I will be taking the R with me. Mods are in my signature. i have a few questions. First, my current elevation Is around 500', leads SD is around 5000'. What precaution Do I need to take with my stage 2 tune? I have obd11 but no other loging devices as of right now. With some guidance I could pull some logs with it when I get there to see how it does. Second, if anyone is from around that area, how is the snow management for the roads? I know it is all wheel drive, but is really low to the ground. Will I have a problem with snow? Third, this is the first long trip in the car, (almost 1300 miles one way). I'll be doing an oil change monday in preparation for the trip, is there any other preventive maintenance that I should do beforehand? The car is just about to click over the 10k mile mark. Thanks in advance!

If your stage 2 tune is for 93 octane, i would reduce it to a 91 tune, and run an octane booster in every tank for max headroom. at elevation, they typically don't sell 93. in colorado the grades are 85, 87, and 91. not 87, 89, and 93.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the 85 in Kansas and CO. I couldn't believe my eyes. Gas caps literally say "minimum 87" on them lol. I understand the atmospheric pressure drops and thus the flashpoint reduces in the fuel such that 85 behaves identically to 87, but something about that just rubs me the wrong way.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If your stage 2 tune is for 93 octane, i would reduce it to a 91 tune, and run an octane booster in every tank for max headroom. at elevation, they typically don't sell 93. in colorado the grades are 85, 87, and 91. not 87, 89, and 93.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the 85 in Kansas and CO. I couldn't believe my eyes. Gas caps literally say "minimum 87" on them lol. I understand the atmospheric pressure drops and thus the flashpoint reduces in the fuel such that 85 behaves identically to 87, but something about that just rubs me the wrong way.
Unless your CA, then you only offer 91 to spite people. :ROFLMAO:

Beach is 10 blocks away almost and I can't take more advantage of all that lovely dense air.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Unless your CA, then you only offer 91 to spite people. :ROFLMAO:

Beach is 10 blocks away almost and I can't take more advantage of all that lovely dense air.

do they sell corn juice in CA? I’d think they would since they pump so much into emissions restriction and stuff. I’d think a renewable like E85 would be big in Cali’s eyes, from the governments perspective.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
do they sell corn juice in CA? I’d think they would since they pump so much into emissions restriction and stuff. I’d think a renewable like E85 would be big in Cali’s eyes, from the governments perspective.
Yeah, we can get E85* (Some stations run a varied blend of 60-85, so most carry a test tube when filling). Though stations/pumps can be few and far between, there are more the further south you go from me. I have more NGK stations than E-85 stations in my area personally.

I ended up going with IE over UM, so no Flex/E-85 support for the 1.8T yet on my end anyhow.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Looks like there is only a couple of stations in the state of SD that has 93, and even less that has e85. So I guess I'll be sticking up on some octane booster. Any recommendations ?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Looks like there is only a couple of stations in the state of SD that has 93, and even less that has e85. So I guess I'll be sticking up on some octane booster. Any recommendations ?
Definitely Torco octane booster. It works.