GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electronic Parking Brake (US model)

James75

Go Kart Champion
You'd want a manual hand brake for track use. In the real world for the type of driving most of us do, the electronic brake is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boosted_2.0

Ready to race!
You'd want a manual hand brake for track use. In the real world for the type of driving most of us do, the electronic brake is fantastic.

Hmm, sorry but that is far from the truth. You never need a handbrake for racing. I never used one and no one I know used one when racing. All you need is your right foot on the gas and learn to make the car go sideways with it.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The last 3 cars I have had all used the electronic hand brake and I wouldn't want to go back to the manual one again.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Sorry if the title is misleading, but is it possible to get the cool electronic parking brakes our european counterparts do... we have the ol' fashion lever.
Anything is possible.

If you're both willing to spend say >1000 $ and competent in vehicle electronics - yes, it'd be possible.

Are you?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just found out (via partsbase/ETKA/factory codes) that you will require a whole new ABS/ESC unit as there are two for the MK7 Golf.....one for manual handbrakes....the other for electronic handbrakes...........

So basically no go!

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Kinda hard to do handbrake turns with an electric handbrake.. BUT I will be the first to admit, it does look a lot cleaner, and well since i do not have any snow here, i think i'd prefer the electric one.

Went for MT though.. That was my little 'must have' on the Gti.

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
Just found out (via partsbase/ETKA/factory codes) that you will require a whole new ABS/ESC unit as there are two for the MK7 Golf.....one for manual handbrakes....the other for electronic handbrakes...........

So basically no go!

Hi GolfDave, how did you figured that out? Any information link about that?

I've compared the ABS units between cars WITH and WITHOUT electronic parking brakes (in Brazil we have both):
- German mk7 with ELECTRONIC parking brake: Part No SW: 5Q0 907 379 AA, HW: 5Q0 907 379 G
- Mexican mk7 with MANUAL parking brake: Part No SW: 5Q0 907 379 K, HW: 5Q0 907 379 F

So the key here is, are we sure that the "F" abs unit hardware with "K" software does not support electronic parking brake?

Thanks (really looking forward in doing the retrofit). To be honest, until now, it doesn't look too complicated.

PS: You will love "Auto Hold". Also, the automatic disengagement of the parking brake when you engage "D" and go driving the car. Also, when you stop the car, take out the seatbelt it engages the parking brake automatically. You just forget the parking brake, it's really automatic!! Genius! WE GOT TO RETROFIT IT!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi GolfDave, how did you figured that out? Any information link about that?

I've compared the ABS units between cars WITH and WITHOUT electronic parking brakes (in Brazil we have both):
- German mk7 with ELECTRONIC parking brake: Part No SW: 5Q0 907 379 AA, HW: 5Q0 907 379 G
- Mexican mk7 with MANUAL parking brake: Part No SW: 5Q0 907 379 K, HW: 5Q0 907 379 F

So the key here is, are we sure that the "F" abs unit hardware with "K" software does not support electronic parking brake?

Thanks (really looking forward in doing the retrofit). To be honest, until now, it doesn't look complicated.

PS: You will love "Auto Hold". Also, the automatic disengagement of the parking brake when you engage "D" and go driving the car. Also, when you stop the car, take out the seatbelt it engages the parking brake automatically. You just forget the parking brake, it's really automatic!! Genius! WE GOT TO RETROFIT IT!

Basically got the info from dealer & partsbase.org. It is not a software swap as it is flashed & has more. You can not take one module & swap the software over, you need a whole new ABS/ESC unit which is VERY expensive. Then you need to run heavy cables from the engine bay to the rear axles, then buy whole new rear brake callipers with the electric motors built in. Huge amounts of money...........unless you find a crashed car with the stuff on & in working order...........also you need VCDS to recode the ABS unit & the recode the CAN-Gateway to accept the new functions of the EPB

As for the auto function with the seat belt I want to turn it off as I have a driveway & gates & garage door, I want to move the car without putting the seatbelt on, but if you hold the EPB button down it overrides it.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
It is a nice thing to have and I do have it on my DD and love it BUT I would keep my GTI simple, the less crap it has the less I'll be going to the dealer, I never had a problem on my DD and it is my second car with EPB but a retrofit can bring some headaches with it. Not that it will for sure just my .2 cents
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5635

LeGti

Ready to race!

So basically no go!

I was fearing this... Argh!!

Derf

Ready to race!
I just stumbled upon this, as I noticed the difference in cupholders on the Euro and US version (Euro has cleaner center console, and cupholder cover), and then noticed no US cars get the electronic parking brake.

On one hand I really like the idea of the electronic e-brake and auto-hold, similarly I like the push-to-start button and the hydraulically adjustable ride shocks. But I think that a simple cable is going to be a lot more robust and easy to fix if something goes wrong, and sometimes the problems with our cars is the technology just craps out down the road and requires fixing.

I'm hoping to keep my GTI maintenance free for a while and I'm telling myself the simple handle should keep costs down.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I just stumbled upon this, as I noticed the difference in cupholders on the Euro and US version (Euro has cleaner center console, and cupholder cover), and then noticed no US cars get the electronic parking brake.

On one hand I really like the idea of the electronic e-brake and auto-hold, similarly I like the push-to-start button and the hydraulically adjustable ride shocks. But I think that a simple cable is going to be a lot more robust and easy to fix if something goes wrong, and sometimes the problems with our cars is the technology just craps out down the road and requires fixing.

I'm hoping to keep my GTI maintenance free for a while and I'm telling myself the simple handle should keep costs down.
What "auto-hold" are you referring to? The one that held the vehicle from going down the slope when moving from the stop? As far as I know it's fully functional on US models with real, "manly" park/handbrake and the only proper transmission - the MT.
Keep your dirty hands off my handbrake;) No idea why would someone trade it for a button. What's next? A touch controls for everything? I rather keep reliable function over form. And donuts in the snow;)

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
What "auto-hold" are you referring to? The one that held the vehicle from going down the slope when moving from the stop? As far as I know it's fully functional on US models with real, "manly" park/handbrake and the only proper transmission - the MT.
Keep your dirty hands off my handbrake;) No idea why would someone trade it for a button. What's next? A touch controls for everything? I rather keep reliable function over form. And donuts in the snow;)

Auto hold will keep your car from moving when you stop at a traffic light etc.. That way you don't need to keep your foot on the brake pedal but the car will start moving once you hit the gas. I have nothing against this its actually very cool indeed but if I want to do the brakes myself one day that's one more thing that you have to deal with so having a manual E brake on my GTI is golden on my DD I'm ok with it because that one goes to the dealer no matter what :)

Derf

Ready to race!

Interesting... I've been driving manual transmission cars for over 15 years- I pride myself on good technique. Always shake my head when I read "money shift" posts because good technique makes it totally avoidable. I've never felt the need for this "auto hold", even on STEEP inclines, but it's nice to hear that it's now built in. I thought it was a function of the electronic parking brake, basically the park brake is doing the "auto hold" for a few seconds when necessary, so I do not sure how it is activated/works on US cars with manual park brakes. Maybe it's the regular brakes being electronically activated?

I also know how to set my side mirrors so that I don't have a blind spot. I know lots of people like to see the side of their car in the side mirrors but that isn't where they should be aimed. I don't really need blind-spot assist, but it's another one of those "cool" electronic nannies that gel a lot of people who never learned how to set up side mirrors properly.

What I see is all the little "automated" ways control is being given up in cars. First it was very nonchalant - cruise control, power steering, remote key fobs for locking/unlocking, auto dim rear view mirrors, then keyless entry, electronic parking brakes.

Now it's getting more pervasive, especially with regards to the "driving" aspect, and effectively lowering the bar for driving skills. Some argue that it is making difficult situations easier, or safer, such as auto park assistant, adaptive cruise control, and forward collision braking. All of this is marching toward a computer controlling ALL the functions of driving. I think eventually when we give up all control to the car it will be safer, but first we must go through a period where people don't learn necessary driving skills, and all these little electronic nannies are seen as "upgrades". It's quite a double edge sword, but it's just the way it's going.