GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electronic Parking Brake (US model)

Feralys

Ready to race!
Sorry if the title is misleading, but is it possible to get the cool electronic parking brakes our european counterparts do... we have the ol' fashion lever.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Don't think so, new rear brake callipers, wiring loom for the motor in the callipers, re code most of the ECUs in the car (braking ECU, engine ECU, can gateway, ) which would have to be told that the car has an electronic handbrake.........

Internexus

Ready to race!
I personally don't believe they would change the system as a whole from the handle to the brakes for the euro model. Just guessing I would think the switch, harness, and motor would be the only needed items. Until we can see a parts breakdown in a manual all we can do is assume.

Internexus

Ready to race!
You want and electronic hand break? Why?
Does your foot and right hand not work to activate brakes?
Most people complain about manuals going away, now a manual hand brake is an issue.

Imo the Euro console is a far cleaner and better design over the U.S. model, if this were something reasonably priced and a simple swap (unlikely on both) I'd certainly perform it myself.

ihmix

Ready to race!
I must admit I was not a huge fan at first, as I looked at it as a huge problem if it started to play up. I dread the day when the light comes on telling me there is a malfunction with the system. However saying that, as people have said it is a very clean design and works fine as you would expect from a new car. Cleaning round a manual handbrake was always a nightmare for me in previous cars and this has now been eliminated, so bonus there.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It is a good system and I've totally got used to it now. The addition of the auto hold brake actuator makes it a far better overall package than the electronic hand brake setups I've seen on other cars, simple because the auto hold operates much more quickly.

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
People complain when there is an electronic handbrake since it is not enthusiast oriented and people complain when there is a manual handbrake since they don't have the latest whizbang technology. It is amusing to me.