GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electronic Parking Brake Fault

LeGti

Ready to race!
My guess is:

1. Cost
2. Liability

North America gets Gtis at a super low price but with a little less content. And group action lawsuits tend to stifle the release of new tech.

Imho,
Ben.

Mine is a late '14 build, MY15 spec. Bought as a demo and first registered March '15. The only trouble I've had with the electric brake is after it's left parked for some time with wet wheels (eg. after washing the car). The pads seem to "weld" themselves to the discs. Upon driving off, the brake disengages with a fairly loud bang and some resistance. I wondered if it's due to the brakes being new and still bedding in. Covered only 3200 kms so far. No issues with the auto hold.

Curious to know if anyone else has experienced this type of sticking?

top-drawer

Interesting to know it's still manually operated hand brake in America.
I wonder why?

Electronic handbrake is an EU requirement, to avoid discriminating against those not able to operate one. Really. They're spec'd on all makes now, or very soon will be. America is of course immune form the diktats of Brussels ...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Mine is a late '14 build, MY15 spec. Bought as a demo and first registered March '15. The only trouble I've had with the electric brake is after it's left parked for some time with wet wheels (eg. after washing the car). The pads seem to "weld" themselves to the discs. Upon driving off, the brake disengages with a fairly loud bang and some resistance. I wondered if it's due to the brakes being new and still bedding in. Covered only 3200 kms so far. No issues with the auto hold.

Yup, standard for all cars, just more so with the clamping force of the EPB. I have car parked in garage so press & hold EPB button down & you will hear the EPB disengage then turn ignition off, leave car in gear.............simples EPB resets it self when you next move off..:cool:

LeGti

Ready to race!
Electronic handbrake is an EU requirement, to avoid discriminating against those not able to operate one. Really. They're spec'd on all makes now, or very soon will be. America is of course immune form the diktats of Brussels ...

Are you serious!?! I was unaware, yet I'm not at all surprised. EU regulations are often senseless. My work (healthcare) is deeply impacted by silly nonsensical EU regs :-(

I'm really set on retrofitting a manual parking brake. We'll see if I get through with it...

Yup, standard for all cars, just more so with the clamping force of the EPB. I have car parked in garage so press & hold EPB button down & you will hear the EPB disengage then turn ignition off, leave car in gear.............simples EPB resets it self when you next move off..:cool:

Thanks for the tip. I'd been trying to work out how to get the EPB to stay disengaged when garaged!

Nyanga

Ready to race!
EPB and autohold with DSG is brillant especially in town / slow traffic.

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
Got hold of some VW EPB training material if it's of any interest to you. The words are French but the technical drawings are universal ;-)

I've begun collecting the part numbers required to backdate EPBs to manual. It's really quite involved to say the least. And the unknown hurdle remains: can VCDS take care of the software?

Keep you posted,
Ben.

Hey, im doing exact the opposite, collecting parts to retrofit epb. are you interested in exchange the parts? Are your parts in any way defective? My car (new gti) is brand new (less than a mile on it....)

LeGti

Ready to race!
Mine is newer: it should be delivered in two weeks :)

I'll gladly consider a cross-continent / cross-hemisphere swap, BUT there are a ton of parts to swap, including the ABS module...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
There are occasions when EPB needs to be left disengaged. Car left for a long time outside when pads can stick/rust to discs. Also in freezing conditions when pads freeze to discs. Then I leave car in 1st or Reverse - or P with DSG.

Jacob

I've had issue with the auto hold and the handbrake, these been the auto hold not engaging when stopped and the handbrake releasing when parked, I was fobbed off by the dealer, they had the car for 3 weeks and returned damaged and parts remove which they left in the car. The Golf GTI performance has now been replace by the dealer at a cost to me and they still tried to rip me off.
Lots said about the brake issue had VW's for ten years, services by them, not anymore

DamoGB

I have been having similar problems with my Electronic Parking Brake, mine started after it had done around 13,000 miles. The car is less then two years old and now has a habit of showing the fault warning on the dash. It recently went to have a full M.O.T. and it had to have a brake pads replaced because they where 80% worn. According to my VW dealer there was nothing showing on the dash after the service. However not long after I got it back it is showing up the fault like clock work.

Now looking at these post above the EPB fault isn't just happing to me, but it is really an annoying issue.

PeterK1

Yes, mine did exactly the same thing the other day, I washed the car then left it in the garage overnight. When I drove out next day the brakes let go with a disturbingly loud BANG. I have resolved in future to drive a short distance and dab the brakes a few times to dry them before parking. That should work.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Old ROW thread but I didn't think of disengaging the EPB before shutting off the car would help not having the brake pads stick to the disks after washing the car.

cyclops

Ready to race!
No idea if it's related but I had my GTD serviced last week and it had a software recall on the electronic handbrake, no idea what it was supposed to fix as the service person didn't know.