GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Effectiveness of antibacterial / odor bomb for AC

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know if we need to remove the cabin air filter when using these antibacterial /sanitizer/ odor bomb?
The usual instructions for these products is - max AC fan, lowest temp, recirculation mode on.
Now I'm not sure how does the air recirculate inside the car but if the cabin air filter is present, would it "filter" out the antibacterial/odor bomb's active ingredients reducing the efficacy?

ac.jpg

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I would pull the filter then bomb it as others have said. Then put a new one in. Obviously I would follow the manufacturers instructions, but I have always put it at 72 degrees and half speed with recirc on. This way the heater and evaporator get the treatment and it just doesnt get blown through by the high speed blower. YMMV

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
I would pull the filter then bomb it as others have said. Then put a new one in. Obviously I would follow the manufacturers instructions, but I have always put it at 72 degrees and half speed with recirc on. This way the heater and evaporator get the treatment and it just doesnt get blown through by the high speed blower. YMMV
I believe this is the most effective way - the active ingredient wouldn't be trapped by the filter
But then again, none of the manufacturers' instructions include this step