GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ee Creaking Front Suspension - MK7.5

Sal L

Car(s)
GTI
I recently changed my struts to Bilstein B16 (Damptronic) and sway bars to H&R 24mm (I am using original end links). After 100 miles, I started to hear creaking when I make a 90 degree turn (left/right) at very slow speed or when I am parallel parking. There are no other weird sounds when I go straight and/or hit bumps. My car is 2018 with 13K miles.

Kindly suggest as to why. I would like to fix ASAP. The noise is driving me nuts. Thank you in advance.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Did you replace the strut mounts and bearings?

Sal L

Car(s)
GTI
Thank you TheProfessional. I suspect you and SPLR337 are correct. It just annoys the hell out of me that my mechanic did not recommend this, it's such a inexpensive part.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Thank you TheProfessional. I suspect you and SPLR337 are correct. It just annoys the hell out of me that my mechanic did not recommend this, it's such a inexpensive part.
With such low mileage, it's a gamble. I did my suspension at around 15k and chose to replace them because I only wanted to do it once. Some with low mileage choose not to and are fine, at least for a while.

The rear mount should also be replaced, they can be a source of noise as well. Usually a clunk.

Sal L

Car(s)
GTI
Creaking not resolved yet but, I spoke with Bilstein Tech, she said that creaking noise most likely three reasons:

1. Top nut too tight, (shop may have used an impact gun to tighten), this should be tighten to 54lbs.
2. Strut mount/bearing maybe bad (a lot have suggested this).
3. After market, H&R 26mm sway bar bushings might have to be lubricated more. She also said that Bilstein Struts only work well with all other OE parts.

She was great, at least she tried to isolate the issue. She will be sending me top nuts incase 1 or 2 above are the issue(s). These nuts are 1x use.

My son help me diagnosed the creaking and I am old school so I took a automotive stethoscope and placed it on the area where the struts are mounted, he turned the wheel fully left and right. The creaking sound was faint and still pronounced inside the car. So maybe it's the sway bars/end links (still oem). I think, I'll ask my mechanic to check this out first. The last thing I want to do is take the struts off and start all over again. I know the spring is not spinning, I marked the spring with magic marker and it has not moved (see pic).

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far on potential solutions, once I fix this maybe it will help someone. Still love the Bilsteins, my son drive my car and he commented on how great the car feels. He disabled the traction control just for kicks and floored it, minimal front wheel slipping, amazing how there struts keep the tires on the ground. He drives a Nissan Nismo and loves to tinker with his car like me.

Attachments

• 20210723_131814.jpg
    20210723_131814.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
Creaking not resolved yet but, I spoke with Bilstein Tech, she said that creaking noise most likely three reasons:

1. Top nut too tight, (shop may have used an impact gun to tighten), this should be tighten to 54lbs.
2. Strut mount/bearing maybe bad (a lot have suggested this).
3. After market, H&R 26mm sway bar bushings might have to be lubricated more. She also said that Bilstein Struts only work well with all other OE parts.

She was great, at least she tried to isolate the issue. She will be sending me top nuts incase 1 or 2 above are the issue(s). These nuts are 1x use.

My son help me diagnosed the creaking and I am old school so I took a automotive stethoscope and placed it on the area where the struts are mounted, he turned the wheel fully left and right. The creaking sound was faint and still pronounced inside the car. So maybe it's the sway bars/end links (still oem). I think, I'll ask my mechanic to check this out first. The last thing I want to do is take the struts off and start all over again. I know the spring is not spinning, I marked the spring with magic marker and it has not moved (see pic).

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far on potential solutions, once I fix this maybe it will help someone. Still love the Bilsteins, my son drive my car and he commented on how great the car feels. He disabled the traction control just for kicks and floored it, minimal front wheel slipping, amazing how there struts keep the tires on the ground. He drives a Nissan Nismo and loves to tinker with his car like me.
I have the same issues. I also replaced my suspension with Bilstein b16s and I got the same creaking noise only while parking or going very slow. I did however replace my top hats even though my car onlyhad 7k miles on it but I still got the noise. People say the noise I am hearing is break pad shift. I’m skeptical about this but I’m waiting it out until my brakes wear ina a bit more and then I will replace them.

Sal L

Car(s)
GTI
Thanks Terriquez88, your front sway bars/end links are they OE? How much did you lower your car. Mine is lowered from 26.5 to 25.75.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
If it helps, aside from my previous response, which is usually the culprit, I also had a noise a low speeds and when parking. It wasn't so much a creak, but a ping, like a spring noise. One of the nuts on my sway bar end links loosened about a quarter turn. Did not make the noise when hitting bumps at speed though.

Sal L

Car(s)
GTI
I have or front sway bar and 24mm h&r rear sway. I’m not sure how much I lowered it but probably an inch or so
Thanks Terriquez88, my GTI is about 3/4 lower from stock. I'm going to another mechanic to diagnose late Aug or sooner. Prior, I am going to unbolt the end links and then turn the steering wheel left/right to determine if the creaking is still there. I'm hoping this is the issue. If so, adjustable end links maybe the fix or the sway bar bushings may need lubrication. The car is lower so maybe the end link needs to be shorter to keep the angle of the sway bar as it was. I'll try this soon and let you know.

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Terriquez88, my GTI is about 3/4 lower from stock. I'm going to another mechanic to diagnose late Aug or sooner. Prior, I am going to unbolt the end links and then turn the steering wheel left/right to determine if the creaking is still there. I'm hoping this is the issue. If so, adjustable end links maybe the fix or the sway bar bushings may need lubrication. The car is lower so maybe the end link needs to be shorter to keep the angle of the sway bar as it was. I'll try this soon and let you know.
Awesome thank you. I would be interested to know. I’ve been thinking about upgrading my links aswell lol.