GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ed's 2nd gen lights - peeling clear coat??

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
I got Ed's second generation HID lights, with LEDs, about 6ish months ago and today I noticed marks towards the top of the light (near the hood) that I can best describe as peeling clear coat.

If I run my nail across it, I can definitely feel its texture... but i cant scrape anything it appears. Does anyone know what this is? I PM'd Ed but wanna see if anyone else experienced it:

This is appearing on both headlights.

spiker369

on air, don't care
I heard this is a common issue sadly. I wish I had read more about this before buying them too but it is what it is I guess. Future stuff on my car will be oem for sure!

ChrisChen1990

Ready to race!
I got a same issue with the OEM Bi Xenon headlights. Just happened couple months ago.
PS: my car is 2011.

Shutaro

Ready to race!
Ed mentions this in the OP's for both the original 2nd gen group buy and the repost a couple months ago. His suggestion is a headlight restoration kit, and I think he provides a couple of links for similar issues across other vendors, makes and models.

It's a bummer, yes. If you can feel it with your fingernail then it is probably fixable. If it's within one year he may send you replacement lenses free of charge, but I don't think he'll do a full replacement or refund on them based upon feedback in his threads. I mentioned in another thread, but I have the same thing, and was aware of it before buying the lights from another member. I plan on using a 3M kit in the spring prior to my spring detail...no one looking at my car has ever mentioned it, and it's not driving me crazy yet. Plus at $385 shipped I knew what I was getting.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
If this hasn't happens yet, would it be wise to put clear lamix on the headlights to prevent it? Read some suggestions to do this but not seen any info on what it's like or which to get.
If so, has anyone done it and what does it look like? Do you notice the lamix and please direct to the correct product on the lamix website?

Or should we just apply headlight sealant regularly instead? - like Meguiars Headlight Protectant (which I have).

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
This happened to my set as well. When I told ed about it he said he'd never seen or heard of it before. I had the lights cut down and triple cleared. They're perfect now.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
This happened to my set as well. When I told ed about it he said he'd never seen or heard of it before. I had the lights cut down and triple cleared. They're perfect now.

Cut down? Triple Cleared? Huhhhh?

Also - still no word from Ed :( I PM'd him on Friday :\