GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ed’s Reps Headlights - Passenger side HID sometimes won’t fire

Raginrhino

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI S
I just had some Ed’s Reps MK7.5 headlights and their Hylux HID kit installed on my 2018 GTI less than a week ago. I’m having issues with the passenger side HID occasionally not firing. I’m also getting an error code telling me to check the passenger side low beam whenever it doesn’t fire.

I’m in Wisconsin, and the temperatures have been highs in the low teens, and lows in the negative ever since I got these installed.

I’ve heard that HID’s struggle in the cold weather, so would that be what’s causing my issue? I’ve read that it could also be a faulty ballast, but I’ve heard good things about the Hylux ballasts.

Has anybody else experienced these issues during extreme cold? Do I just wait to see if my issues go away when it’s warmer, or is there some underlying condition that needs to be fixed?

cb1111

It is unlikely that your issue will just go away.

Recheck your install, paying close attention to grounds

Swap the ballasts - if the problem moves with the ballast then it is a defective ballast. Otherwise the problem is the bulb or install.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
My driver's side has been acting up in cold weather as well. I've found that if I turn the light switch to off, then turn the car on, then turn the lights back on it usually goes away.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Did you just use the can bus connectors or did you code your car to Xenon?

Raginrhino

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI S
My driver's side has been acting up in cold weather as well. I've found that if I turn the light switch to off, then turn the car on, then turn the lights back on it usually goes away.
It seems to work consistently when I've tried this, but I have to let the car warm up till the oil temp reading is in towards middle of the gauge. I have to use the DRLs up until that point.

I was leaving the headlight switch in automatic mode, which might be the issue since the one side almost never fired during a cold start.

I've had the car for almost 3 years now, so could it also be that my battery is reaching the end of its life?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
It seems to work consistently when I've tried this, but I have to let the car warm up till the oil temp reading is in towards middle of the gauge. I have to use the DRLs up until that point.

I was leaving the headlight switch in automatic mode, which might be the issue since the one side almost never fired during a cold start.

I've had the car for almost 3 years now, so could it also be that my battery is reaching the end of its life?

Ballasts are known to go out or act up in the cold. I would try swapping the ballasts around and seeing if the problem follows the ballast. Generally the ballasts will start working as the engine and engine bay (since the headlights are close to the radiator) warm up.

If it was your car battery, you'd probably have a lot bigger problems than a single ballast not working.

Raginrhino

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI S
Did you just use the can bus connectors or did you code your car to Xenon?

It was just a plug and play kit.

This is the BEC Ed's Reps setup I had professionally installed at a shop:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
If you have VCDS or OBD11 I would try and code the lights to Xenon, even though these typically are just plug and play. Otherwise, you can swap ballast to the other side to see if it persists, and if it does you should seek a replacement.

[09] Central Electronics
Code 31347
Adaptation

(1)-Leuchte6ABL LC5-Lasttyp 6 (Driver's side headlight)

(1)-Leuchte7ABL LC5-Lasttyp 6 (Passenger's side headlight)

Change the value from "Abblendlicht" to "Xenon Abblendlicht"

Raginrhino

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI S
I have an update as of last night. I had issues with the passenger side igniting until my car heated up before and after work. I had to run a bunch of errands after work, shut my car off to go inside, and both lights fired right up immediately multiple times over 3 hours with no issues. Only seems to happen when the car has been sitting a while in the cold. I just had my 30k service done on it and the dealer didn't mention anything about my battery needing to be replaced, so I think I can rule that out. Ed got back to me saying that these Hylux ballasts can be a bit finicky in the cold.

I have a few questions if anyone can help me out:
  • Since I live in a colder climate, would any of you recommend the LED lights instead of the HID's for better reliability?
  • Do any of you rock these Ed's Rep headlights with the LED kit that he supplies?
  • Have there been any known issues with the LED's that I should be aware of?
  • Are they easy to install and how long do they last?
  • How does the brightness of the LED's compare to HID's? Is there any kind of drop off in performance?

cb1111

LED lighting isn't quite there yet for most manufacturers and there is NO LED aftermarket solution that actually works for VW.

While even the HID kits (including Ed's) are illegal, there are a couple HID kits (again, like Ed;'s) that are decent quality and mostly work.

HID lights are superior to LED lighting, but LED has advantages for designers.

Raginrhino

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI S
LED lighting isn't quite there yet for most manufacturers and there is NO LED aftermarket solution that actually works for VW.

While even the HID kits (including Ed's) are illegal, there are a couple HID kits (again, like Ed;'s) that are decent quality and mostly work.

This is what I am referring to :
https://www.becautoparts.com/products/led-bulb-set-5500k-d2h-size

Which is the Full LED low beam option for these headlights I have installed:
https://www.becautoparts.com/products/2018-vw-gti-replica-hid-led-headlights

Ed has reached out to me and said that I can change to the LED Lowbeam bulb set with these lights if I want to switch from my troublesome HID's.

Are you saying that these wont work well on VW's?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I had a lot of problems with ballasts, symptoms were similar to yours. I found the mitsushita ballast from an OEM vehicle where significantly more reliable. Finally went OEM LP lights, but it was part of my journey.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

My LED headlights in my 18 SE are fantastic.