GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ecutek

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
I wasn't aware either. I messaged Ed to get in line for tuning stock IS20. I included a list of all the parts I have on stand by waiting on support (including mpi). He checked my box codes and said he can tune the entire setup.
That's good to know. Still curious to see what features ecutek rolls out and how it compares to Cobb after 12-18 months post-release. One of the main benefits I've seen is they don't use a consolidated rom like Cobb... therefore vcds, obd11 etc still work without hurdles. At least for now Ed said it doesn't use a consolidated rom

Bluetooth setup/app is super convenient also

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
saw this posted on what's being worked on:

1582818494283.png

Attachments

• 1582818490507.png
    1582818490507.png
    51 KB · Views: 98

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey guys, I'm taking things slowly with Ecutek. There are still important things to iron out before I can go full scale with it. I'm currently testing on just 2 cars and getting these issues ironed out before getting everyone else started. Thank you for our patience!

-- Ed

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If you need a 1.8 to test on, I'll be happy to take an eqt turbo and be a guinea pig ?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Hey guys, I've been running the initial file for my ECU and TCU tune for a couple weeks now. 2017 Audi S3 with budget intake (TIP, silicone hose, Afe air filter, opened up front ducts etc), IE downpipe, APR intercooler, autotech HPFP on 91 octane.

As far as the EQT side of stuff, I imagine it is very similar to the Cobb tunes and still on first tune file, but so far so good. I was poking around on stock tune for quite awhile before this and it was nice to have the powah back. Something that bugged me about running the HPFP on stock tune was past 5000 rpm fuel pressure would get out of hand/high so I was really not driving it hard during that time--all good now with the tune as expected. Biggest difference I notice right away coming from Eurodyne is the TCU tune is so much better. I'm not after every last hp, just a nice all around tune that is safe. I would have got a "base tune", but they do not offer those yet for Ecutek.

As far as the Ecutek side of stuff, been good so far. The ProECU software on PC has several different modules-- Program ECU, Program TCU, DSG tool (to perform basic setting and reset other learned values), and a DTC tool. The DTC tool appears to have access to all the same modules that OBDeleven does, so you can do a full scan/reset on the car which is nice if you didn't already have obdeleven or VCDS. Flashing my ECU the first time took about 15 mins and DSG took about 5 mins IIRC. We'll see if subsequent flashes of the ECU is any quicker. You can also datalog with ProECU, but the phone app version works well enough, it's probably not worth the hassle of lugging around the laptop or tablet.

The phone app ECU Connect works very well and easy to use. I've sent in some bug reports and feature requests to ecutek and they have been great to work with, very responsive and open to any feedback or ideas for improvement. The DTC tool on the phone app only current supports the ECU and TCU modules. Datalogging tool is really straight forward and easy to use, after you install an ecutek tune, even more log-able parameters show up and you can log ECU and TCU at the same time. I wish it had a way to save/import logging list, maybe something that will get added later. The dashboard/gauge page is very customizable, has a number of different gauge styles that you can adjust a lot of settings with....kind of similar to how Torque gauges work (min, max, alerts that flash on screen, etc.).

That's about it for now. Again, for you mk7 guys, Cobb is still going to be your go-to, but this looks to be another great option that is/will be right on par with Cobb for the rest of us!

On the horizon I would like to do an EQT Vortex turbo, LPFP/MPI and flex fuel tune, should they add support.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey guys, I've been running the initial file for my ECU and TCU tune for a couple weeks now. 2017 Audi S3 with budget intake (TIP, silicone hose, Afe air filter, opened up front ducts etc), IE downpipe, APR intercooler, autotech HPFP on 91 octane.

As far as the EQT side of stuff, I imagine it is very similar to the Cobb tunes and still on first tune file, but so far so good. I was poking around on stock tune for quite awhile before this and it was nice to have the powah back. Something that bugged me about running the HPFP on stock tune was past 5000 rpm fuel pressure would get out of hand/high so I was really not driving it hard during that time--all good now with the tune as expected. Biggest difference I notice right away coming from Eurodyne is the TCU tune is so much better. I'm not after every last hp, just a nice all around tune that is safe. I would have got a "base tune", but they do not offer those yet for Ecutek.

As far as the Ecutek side of stuff, been good so far. The ProECU software on PC has several different modules-- Program ECU, Program TCU, DSG tool (to perform basic setting and reset other learned values), and a DTC tool. The DTC tool appears to have access to all the same modules that OBDeleven does, so you can do a full scan/reset on the car which is nice if you didn't already have obdeleven or VCDS. Flashing my ECU the first time took about 15 mins and DSG took about 5 mins IIRC. We'll see if subsequent flashes of the ECU is any quicker. You can also datalog with ProECU, but the phone app version works well enough, it's probably not worth the hassle of lugging around the laptop or tablet.

The phone app ECU Connect works very well and easy to use. I've sent in some bug reports and feature requests to ecutek and they have been great to work with, very responsive and open to any feedback or ideas for improvement. The DTC tool on the phone app only current supports the ECU and TCU modules. Datalogging tool is really straight forward and easy to use, after you install an ecutek tune, even more log-able parameters show up and you can log ECU and TCU at the same time. I wish it had a way to save/import logging list, maybe something that will get added later. The dashboard/gauge page is very customizable, has a number of different gauge styles that you can adjust a lot of settings with....kind of similar to how Torque gauges work (min, max, alerts that flash on screen, etc.).

That's about it for now. Again, for you mk7 guys, Cobb is still going to be your go-to, but this looks to be another great option that is/will be right on par with Cobb for the rest of us!

On the horizon I would like to do an EQT Vortex turbo, LPFP/MPI and flex fuel tune, should they add support.

Fantastic review. Keep us up to date.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Thanks for the update! Glad to see tuning happening. Looking forward to more updates and tuning my car.

Edit: Nice to hear flashing is so quick. ED loader and TCU files always took me a while. Had a tablet that didn’t have enough ports to flash and charge. 😆

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I suspect the updates will be pretty boring and it will be like every other stage 2 car, lol. But that's all I could ask for-- proper tuning suite that has total control over everything it needs to and a good way for me to monitor/datalog/diagnose etc on my own from time to time.

Yeah, way quicker than eurodyne. And data logging capability is in a totally different league in terms of speed and parameters available to log. My car battery actually took a shit on me while flashing ED, so I can appreciate a flash that doesn't take 40 minutes, lol.

I used a little 8" windows tablet that I used with ED for flashing and logging and it worked pretty well for that. But with Ecutek you need 2 USB ports to do anything on the car, one for the OBD 'dongle' and one for a hardware license key. My shitty little tablet only has 1 USB port-- I got a little hub for it but it's a little finicky and devices kick offline sometimes, not something I want to happen in the middle of a flash. Something like a Surface would probably be a perfect little tablet for the job if you wanted to take around with you for whatever reason.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S

Appreciate the update. Still looking into Ecutek as a viable alternative to Cobb for when I get a R. I'm curious to see how it develops over the next 6-12 months, hoping for some good features... but I'd be happy if it just pulls even with Cobb, supporting mpi, etc. Flex would be nice though.

Pros I see so far:

No consolidated rom like Cobb... doesn't prohibit function of obd11, vcds and other tools
logging via phone
gauges on app
OBD11/VCDS like capability

Cons:

Requires two usb slots due to separate key (not really a con.... just inconvenient, good security feature though)

Few questions:

You can log over bluetooth right? But, tuning requires a wired connection (laptop/tablet)?
How is viewing logs on the App?
Any type of adjustable launch control yet?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Appreciate the update. Still looking into Ecutek as a viable alternative to Cobb for when I get a R. I'm curious to see how it develops over the next 6-12 months, hoping for some good features... but I'd be happy if it just pulls even with Cobb, supporting mpi, etc. Flex would be nice though.

Pros I see so far:

No consolidated rom like Cobb... doesn't prohibit function of obd11, vcds and other tools
logging via phone
gauges on app
OBD11/VCDS like capability

Cons:

Requires two usb slots due to separate key (not really a con.... just inconvenient, good security feature though)

Few questions:

You can log over bluetooth right? But, tuning requires a wired connection (laptop/tablet)?
How is viewing logs on the App?
Any type of adjustable launch control yet?

I really like the logging via the app--yes this is over bluetooth and still has very good logging speed. I haven't done a direct comparison to the wired PC software though, it could be even better. What's cool is you can email them directly to yourself, your tuner, or upload to google drive or whatever right from the app.

To flash the car, you have to use ProECU which is on the PC + wired connection. This is maybe the biggest con in comparison to Cobb in general. If you had a pump gas tune and ethanol tune and were heading out town for a track day or whatever and wanted to switch tunes.... you'd have to lug around a laptop or windows tablet. IF flex fuel becomes a thing, I see this being less of a possible issue for guys because then you could all one tune to do it all.

You can't view the logs directly in the app. I briefly looked for a CSV grapher app but didn't find anything worthwhile. You could just open it in google sheets or spreadsheet program though I guess. I have a good program on my computer to view them, so I usually just bring it home and take a look then. The program I use is Megalogviewer HD-- what I also like is you can define custom parameters...for example Ecutek only does AFR in lambda units right now and Boost in bar... I can custom define my own so I can see it in AFR or psi or whatever units I want. The proECU PC app has a live graph view / datalogging function, but again I haven't used it myself yet.

Launch control not adjustable yet... I believe Ecutek calls this sort of thing "racerom features" and there is a button on the phone app for that sort of stuff once they add support for it. More developed cars have stuff like map switching, adjustable LC, adjustable boost and stuff like that from what I've seen looking at random youtube vids.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Ok, thanks. I'm sure we'll see more features over time. Yeah the emailing of logs is convenient for sure. I don't mind getting a cheap windows tablet just for car stuff or for switching tunes occasionally. Flex would be nice, but from what I've seen if you're chasing power dedicated tunes for each fuel type is the way to go anyways.... flex leaves a little on the table for safety reasons.

Upside of Cobb AP is flashing without a computer... even though you still have to transfer tune to the AP from a laptop anyways. Downside gotta plug up to computer to view/transfer logs. In the end probably takes about the same amount of time for both units.

I saw a video of the proECU phone app live data on FB, actually looks quite polished.

Yeah, ecutek has done a lot in the FRS/BRZ, GTR, etc circles... hoping some of that comes our way.