GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ecutek

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If anyone has Ecutek questions or any questions at all let me know, i am happy to share what ive learned about these cars. I am fairly new to Vw/Audi but ive been tuning fuel injection on many different platforms for over 15 years. I work for Titan Motorsports in Orlando, we are mostly known for supras but we work on many other platforms and we will be offering custom ecutek tuning for vw/audi 8V cars soon.

What's been your experience with ecutek on german cars? The audi shop I usually use is trying to steer me away from it after the experiences they've had with customers bringing in tuned f-series cars on ecutek. I'm a little skeptical since they do offer their own tuning, but I've heard that ecutek on the mqb platform is still kinda rough compared to cobb and wondered if you had a more up to date perspective. Thanks!

TitanDarin

Car(s)
17 S3
What's been your experience with ecutek on german cars? The audi shop I usually use is trying to steer me away from it after the experiences they've had with customers bringing in tuned f-series cars on ecutek. I'm a little skeptical since they do offer their own tuning, but I've heard that ecutek on the mqb platform is still kinda rough compared to cobb and wondered if you had a more up to date perspective. Thanks!

Ecutek now has all tables needed to properly calibrate a stage 1,2,3 car. Flex fuel and other cool features will be released towards the end of the year. When i first started using it on my car it was missing some things and had a few small issues with flashing and logging. That is all fixed now.

However, i would go with whatever your local shop/tuner is most comfortable with.

Good info, that tells me I need to go ahead and get the dongle from Unitronic so that I can enable what they offer until the racerom is out. Also good info on the Walbro 535. I was torn between the 525 and 535, now I know the 535 is the way to go. Please update when the racerom is available. Do you think my car would be driveable if I get the turbo on with my current tune ?, or would I have to trailer it? Orlando would be quite the haul, but I will do it if I have to.
Yes it will absolutely be driveable. Just go easy on it until you have the proper base tune loaded. And make sure you get the actuator voltage set properly.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I have the same software ID as @joedubs on my Mk7.5 GSW (8V0906264M):

“We do support this range of ROMs, but we will need a dump from you to support your specific version. We are updating some of the definitions atm so supporting your ROM may take us a couple of weeks.“

Anyone with an EcuTek ProECU dongle in SoCal willing to help out with a ROM dump? There are a couple EcuTek tuners within a few hour radius as well (Delicious Tuning, 5150) where I could try to do this...or just buy a ProECU and hope they’re able to support the car.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion

Ayone with an EcuTek ProECU dongle in SoCal willing to help out with a ROM dump? There are a couple EcuTek tuners within a few hour radius as well (Delicious Tuning, 5150) where I could try to do this...or just buy a ProECU and hope they’re able to support the car.

Note though, I was told by ecutek support:

"Unfortunately the VW ECU's can only be fully read on the bench by select tools using a different programming method, our over the OBD retail programming kit can't do it."

I've been in contact with one local (non vw) ecutek master dealer that said they "should be able to" read my ecu. Haven't been able to nail down a time.

I'm in Upstate NY.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Interesting, "dump ROM" is an option in the ProECU program, and was able to read out my DSG and get support added.

You should be able to give it a go with just the dongle, shouldn't need credits to do a read. Hopefully you can get one to borrow locally. It's 350 IIRC for the dongle otherwise.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

“We do support this range of ROMs, but we will need a dump from you to support your specific version. We are updating some of the definitions atm so supporting your ROM may take us a couple of weeks.“

Anyone with an EcuTek ProECU dongle in SoCal willing to help out with a ROM dump? There are a couple EcuTek tuners within a few hour radius as well (Delicious Tuning, 5150) where I could try to do this...or just buy a ProECU and hope they’re able to support the car.

"need a dump from you"? 😂

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
"need a dump from you"? 😂

When you work in the IT industry, the humor in that goes away.

Except when during your staff meeting the right person says something about taking dumps, and you look around the room hoping you're not the only one on the verge of tears.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
FYI, I've been working closely with Ecutek on getting the needed maps defined and described properly as well as many improvements and fixes on the logger side. Things are progressing and this is primarily the software I use for ROW cars that may not have full support from Cobb yet. At this time there are no custom features and Ecutek has taken a bit of a break on the platform to focus on the B58. Once they get back into it and RaceRom stuff starts coming out, I'm hoping things will get more interesting.

Thanks
-- Ed

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
FYI, I've been working closely with Ecutek on getting the needed maps defined and described properly as well as many improvements and fixes on the logger side.

Ed

Would you be willing to work with someone to get a bench read of a sportwagen/alltrack ecu done?

We have no options right now for decent tuning aside from UM. Maestro is good but we're stuck with stock fueling.

Not there there's a lot of us with hybrid turbos at the moment, but that could change if the software stops being the limiting factor.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed

Would you be willing to work with someone to get a bench read of a sportwagen/alltrack ecu done?

We have no options right now for decent tuning aside from UM. Maestro is good but we're stuck with stock fueling.

Not there there's a lot of us with hybrid turbos at the moment, but that could change if the software stops being the limiting factor.

Sure. Just get me the rom and box code and we can check it out.

-- Ed