GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ecutek

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I've been following this, and they seem responsive to you for sure.... love that. Hopefully you've been giving them feedback on how they can have impact on this platform. I just think the pay-for-tune market is waaaay over saturated at this point.

Agreed. I just bumped the hptuners thread btw lol!

edit: and Steve just replied.

Ecutek has end user tuning for NC Miatas and BRZ/FRS....so there a little hope for us at least. I actually think the ProECU software suite is pretty good. Has a nice datalog viewer function, histogram function and other stuff. Probably not totally on par with hptuners but.....pretty good and last time I used anything Accesstuner, it was lacking any sort of features like that.

1590688869707.png

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Screenshot_20200528-114128_Chrome.jpg
Pagparts kit doesnt use an efr turbo, it uses a Garrett which looks very similar to the g25-660 setup. He sent me pictures of it and it looks sweet.
Pagparts is using a GTX30 or GTX35 depending on what kit you order.

It's an EFR. That's the ony kit listed for the EA888. I will say, that photo doesn't look like the correct motor, the turbo is facing the wrong direction

Hoon

Autocross Champion
View attachment 174826

It's an EFR. That's the ony kit listed for the EA888. I will say, that photo doesn't look like the correct motor, the turbo is facing the wrong direction

I have talked to Arnold (the owner) about it several times. There are two options for MQBs, GTX30 and GTX35.

As far as I know neither kit has officially been released yet, so not on the website.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 174826

That's not our engine, that kit is for a mk6 I believe. Arnold has sent me pictures of the exact kit he is testing on a customers car and it's a gtx35 but yes there are option of Garrett's you can order. This might be my next step to make big power

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I have talked to Arnold (the owner) about it several times. There are two options for MQBs, GTX30 and GTX35.

As far as I know neither kit has officially been released yet, so not on the website.
How do people know about this stuff, lmao? Ok, my mistake then. But they use a pneumatic wastegate instead of the electronic one?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I believe they use the electronic wastegate actuator. I saw it on their Instagram and when I bought my fuel pump from them we were texting about the install for it, then I messaged him for more info. Just gotta contact companies and poke around lol

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah quite a few places today... you gotta get on instagram or facebook for the latest info and websites tend to be outdated or incomplete...sadly

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I believe they use the electronic wastegate actuator. I saw it on their Instagram and when I bought my fuel pump from them we were texting about the install for it, then I messaged him for more info. Just gotta contact companies and poke around lol
I'm gonna have to look into this for sure. 4200 includes what?

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Haha glad to not be "that guy" to bump it for once. To be honest, I do believe them when they say they are working on it.... HPT has been pretty direct in the past with hard "no" when they are not going to work on a platform. IE: a lot of the Dodge / Mercedes ECM's etc. I can say they were quick to release LNF support when I still had a Cobalt SS/TC, and it was broken in a lot of ways we had to work around it. I think HPT prefers to avoid that scenario these days.

I hate to sound conspiracy theorist, but my hypothesis on platforms like Cobb/Ecutek: they feel (or have been told) they will get no professional buy-in from the pro tuner community if they release a self tuning option. At least for some period of time anyway. Eurodyne, like.. yah he's doing his best, but clearly isn't too worried about what the world (or customers) think at this point.

Anyway I ramble, sorry... back to bigger frame turbos.

Agreed. I just bumped the hptuners thread btw lol!

edit: and Steve just replied.

Ecutek has end user tuning for NC Miatas and BRZ/FRS....so there a little hope for us at least. I actually think the ProECU software suite is pretty good. Has a nice datalog viewer function, histogram function and other stuff. Probably not totally on par with hptuners but.....pretty good and last time I used anything Accesstuner, it was lacking any sort of features like that.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Which sucks, as a former Facebook employee, I do not use any of that. I guess I'm to be out of the loop forever.

Yeah quite a few places today... you gotta get on instagram or facebook for the latest info and websites tend to be outdated or incomplete...sadly

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Haha glad to not be "that guy" to bump it for once. To be honest, I do believe them when they say they are working on it.... HPT has been pretty direct in the past with hard "no" when they are not going to work on a platform. IE: a lot of the Dodge / Mercedes ECM's etc. I can say they were quick to release LNF support when I still had a Cobalt SS/TC, and it was broken in a lot of ways we had to work around it. I think HPT prefers to avoid that scenario these days.

I hate to sound conspiracy theorist, but my hypothesis on platforms like Cobb/Ecutek: they feel (or have been told) they will get no professional buy-in from the pro tuner community if they release a self tuning option. At least for some period of time anyway. Eurodyne, like.. yah he's doing his best, but clearly isn't too worried about what the world (or customers) think at this point.

Anyway I ramble, sorry... back to bigger frame turbos.

Well, the thread is about a tuning solution, if anything this is more relevant than the full frame turbos lol. Doesn't matter either way to me though.

I saw recently someone on Facebook asked about end user Accesstuner...Cobb directly said no plans to release it for VW/Audi. A few years ago they said "yes eventually" or something along those lines. But yeah I can kinda understand the reason to not allow end user tuning....at least initially... to offer the most business possible for their own tuner network. I think Ecutek is a lot more prevalent in europe, so sadly that will probably be their reasoning as well as to why they won't open up self tuning anytime soon.

Hptuners kinda spoils you I guess. I actually use EFILive, but if I were buying today for my LS1 I would get hptuners for sure.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
So full disclosure, I was involved in the PGMFI.org project from 2002-2006 (Honda OBD0 and OBD1 reverse engineer specifically) ... ever since then, yeah... I'm a little partial to self tuning options. I also did quite a bit of work on Mitsubishi ECM's (1G DSM's, up to Evo6). The whole spirit of those projects was/is to lift the curtain on that whole market. Honda specifically was on lock down from one vendor (Hondata), and something had to change.

I lack the time/desire to stay up all night and work on that stuff anymore though. On my other vehicle projects (Miata's namely) I use MegaSquirts and I find it itches that scratch.

I have long been frustrated with this problem on European cars in particular.

I figure if I'm going to void a generous power train warranty from VAG, it might as well be me who does it. I mean ... I'm on the hook to pay for any hard parts I grenade at that point anyway :)

I am not minimizing professional tuners either, I have never been nor claimed to be a tuning savant. Long have I also understood that most people can't (or shouldn't) tune their own vehicles. I just want to have access to the same toys, but that puts us into a minority group. That or you get stuck with half baked solutions or living WinOLS hell. Not sure if you've ever used WinOLS, but good god.... I used that on my W211 Mercedes and talk about an experience.

As the platform ages and the MKVIII's roll out things might change. Or, it might not given at that point we're OLD NEWS :)

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
So full disclosure, I was involved in the PGMFI.org project from 2002-2006 (Honda OBD0 and OBD1 reverse engineer specifically) ... ever since then, yeah... I'm a little partial to self tuning options. I also did quite a bit of work on Mitsubishi ECM's (1G DSM's, up to Evo6). The whole spirit of those projects was/is to lift the curtain on that whole market. Honda specifically was on lock down from one vendor (Hondata), and something had to change.

I lack the time/desire to stay up all night and work on that stuff anymore though. On my other vehicle projects (Miata's namely) I use MegaSquirts and I find it itches that scratch.

I figure if I'm going to void a generous power train warranty from VAG, it might as well be me who does it. I mean ... I'm on the hook to pay for any hard parts I grenade at that point anyway :)

I am not minimizing professional tuners either, I have never been nor claimed to be a tuning savant. Long have I also understood that most people can't (or shouldn't) tune their own vehicles. I just want to have access to the same toys, but that puts us into a minority group. That or you get stuck with half baked solutions or living WinOLS hell. Not sure if you've ever used WinOLS, but good god.... I used that on my W211 Mercedes and talk about an experience.

As the platform ages and the MKVIII's roll out things might change. Or, it might not given at that point we're OLD NEWS :)

I really got my feet wet with tuning stuff on a 99 Miata running megasquirt 2 extra, then a little MS3 before I sold it. Converted it over while it was still stock/NA, then thru a whole DIY turbo build. Made 275whp on stock motor and then closer to 400 on built motor before more issues popped up and I sold off the project.

I had Accesstuner on my Focus ST, but it was just a simple bolt on build, so the OTS tune with some tweaks is all it needed (WGDC table so boost came on stronger down low). What was nice about it though is I was able to tweak launch control/FFS, Cobb spark based traction control settings all on my own without bothering a tuner. I fine tuned the throttle response (APP vs torque request) to make it to my liking....stuff like that.

I still have my C5Z which is now supercharged and I did all the tuning with EFI Live w/ speed density tune. In a lot of ways it's pretty straight forward though....no variable valve timing or variable lift. The software is great and everything is well documented. It makes 700 something whp on 91 octane without breaking a sweat. What is annoying though is total open loop fueling at WOT....these newer cars have spoiled me a bit with fueling lol. This has been my project for a while now, but I'm getting the itch to move onto something else. Maybe something that's supported by megasquirt or AEM infinity or something.

So yeah, sounds like we're on the same page with this stuff. I just enjoy learning and doing things like this myself.

I actually had Eurodyne before this...some times when I'm bored looking for something to tinker with I kinda wish I had kept it....but too late now and it felt very....amateurish.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S

So winols is a pain huh? That's kinda what I'd heard. Although the european tuners seem to be pretty comfortable with it.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
It all just depends on how good of a map definition file you have your hands on. A fair amount of them will literally just be piles of unnamed 2d and 3d maps where you get to choose your own adventure. Or the ones that are named will be in German (often abbreviated), so you end up having to do a lot of translation/fact checking. That said, if you're into German car electronic tinkering, thats nothing new :) Often times (again, depends on the map definition) the scalars will be non-nonsensical.

If you're someone who hasn't lived it for a long time, it can be a little daunting. WinOLS itself is really more of a framework (like Tunerpro). I am not exaggerating to say that on these modern ECM's its not uncommon to have hundreds and hundreds of maps.

^^ Example of what I mean.

So winols is a pain huh? That's kinda what I'd heard. Although the european tuners seem to be pretty comfortable with it.