GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU tune low end pull

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I know that tunes and piggybacks are discussed a whole lot, and I've done a bunch of dyno chart studying. I also know dyno charts are pretty worthless sub-2k RPM.

I've tuned several cars in the past including Volvo S40, C30, Audi S4 (supercharged), Focus ST, Fiat 500L.

What I'm looking for is low end torque. In the Volvos, the cars greatly benefited from the tunes and a difference could be felt as low as 1300-1500 RPM. The Cobb tune on the ST could be felt around 1800 or so, but the Fiat had ZERO improvements less than 2k RPM. On the ST, it got rid of that on/off switch feeling of the lag, as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like gains on the high end, but I spend most of my driving shifting at 2200-2500 RPM. I also love the strong low-end pull between shifts.

Is it expecting too much for a change in torque less than 2k RPM with a JB1 or a stage 1 Eurodyne/APR? I'm not looking for anything other than a flash or a piggyback, no downpipe, etc.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
If you go with a product like Cobb you can get your car custom tuned. Work with the tuner tune the car exactly the way you want it. If you want more low end vs topend then they can do that.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'd go APR since they're known for their low end grunt. ED is very similar but I think APR makes a bit more.

I'd recommend a full tune over the JB1/4 for this, and I've owned/own both :)

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I've driven the COBB Stage 3 tune, its not half bad, definitely roasts tires.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys. I figured the Stage 1 or 1.5 tune would be the way to go, but I may wait until I have several thousand miles before I take a chance getting flagged. It doesn't really concern me too much. I just want to make sure there's nothing squirrelly with mine before I write over the programming. I was hoping that one of the plug and plays would suffice, but I kind of knew that was hoping for too much.

I really like APR, but man they're killing me with the mail in the ECU or take it to a dealer thing. I did this with my S4 tune... dealer had to ship it to GIAC... overnight, etc. They sent a shop helper to mail it. He accidentally shipped it 'ground'... from Atlanta to CA. I had another vehicle, but what a hastle that became.

There's definitely something to be said to have the hand programmer.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I've driven the COBB Stage 3 tune, its not half bad, definitely roasts tires.

So I had APR stage 1. Switched to COBB. Been running the Map beta stage 1, switched over to the COBB stage 3. From the butt dyno... feels like APR stage 1 will roast the cobb ots files and Map stage1. Went with COBB because i like the AP logging and gauges and hoping tuners will get some stage 3 tunes out and eventually IS38 tunes as a possible future route.

TL/DR: APR was the best for power especially down low.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
If you are looking for low end torque then stage 2 APR way to go. Just look at their website and see the incredible low end torque.

I can't comment on GTI as I have MK7R but stage 2 APR on that is incredible, boost/torque almost instantaneous.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
You had me a "FIAT 500L" :eek:

Yes, it was my wife's. She loved that thing. I thought it was a deathtrap. It was one of the only vehicles that fit the bill: small vehicle with lots of space and a manual transmission in that price range. That last one knocks a lot of manufacturers of our list very often.

I was eager to get rid of my ST (aka 'the rattletrap'), so I traded it on the 500L to surprise her.