GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU and TCU DSG Question

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Hello everyone, long time since I posted on here hope all is well! To get straight to business, my 18’ GTI 6MT was totaled. I wanted to surprise my dad and flash his 17’ GTI DSG with my old EQT Stage 2 93 Map. My question is with that map having Flat foot shifting (FFS) enabled, would it affect the DSG? Will be tuning the TCU with EQT here of course. As far as the ECU Staged tune goes, there is no option for manual or dsg, it only shows which special features you want to select and FFS states manual trans only of course. Want to know if I have to get a whole new tune without FFS enabled or it’ll be fine with my previous Stage 2 93 map paired with EQT DSG tune. Thanks!

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I'm pretty sure that the 2017 and 2018 have different ECU's. Check with EQT. It may not be as simple as you think.
I emailed EQT about it to see what they say. I loaded the map on the car jjst to see if it would work, map is on the car with no CELs. When driving in D mode, the trans goes into 6th gear at like 36 mph lol. Using the paddles to go through the gears it feels pretty good. It’s almost as if you have to Have it in S mode instead of D as D shifts way too early and goes into 6th gear so soon, S holds the revs longer and shifts around 3000rpms pretty good. Waiting for a response from EQT/others on here with more info if it’s safe. Again I will be tuning the TCU to match the ECU’s upgraded torque

Last edited:

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
I emailed EQT about it to see what they say. I loaded the map on the car jjst to see if it would work, map is on the car with no CELs. When driving in D mode, the trans goes into 6th gear at like 36 mph lol. Using the paddles to go through the gears it feels pretty good. It’s almost as if you have to Have it in S mode instead of D as D shifts way too early and goes into 6th gear so soon, S holds the revs longer and shifts around 3000rpms pretty good. Waiting for a response from EQT/others on here with more info if it’s safe. Again I will be tuning the TCU to match the ECU’s upgraded torque
Without a TCU tune, that sort of shifting is pretty standard. The car will always shift to the highest gear it can to maintain low RPM's and improve fuel efficiency.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
D is meant for efficient daily driving, it's supposed to short shift and stay in the high-load low-speed sweet spot.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Without a TCU tune, that sort of shifting is pretty standard. The car will always shift to the highest gear it can to maintain low RPM's and improve fuel efficiency.
Understood. I suppose the FFS enabled isn’t affecting anything on the DSG car? Car seems to be very fuel efficient in D at the moment, S it shifts right at 3k. As soon as EQT give me the green light I’ll purchase the DSG tune.

shall I prepare for a night and day difference with the DSG tune?😂

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
D is meant for efficient daily driving, it's supposed to short shift and stay in the high-load low-speed sweet spot.

Oh it’s short shifting alright, around 40mph it’s in 6th gear (watching the Cobb AP), if I give it slight throttle it’ll stay in 6 gear and almost seem like iits lugging around if requesting more throttle. If I want it to accelerate from 40 I really have to press the pedal down deep to get it to downshift and scoot.

Which DSG tune are you running?

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
Understood. I suppose the FFS enabled isn’t affecting anything on the DSG car? Car seems to be very fuel efficient in D at the moment, S it shifts right at 3k. As soon as EQT give me the green light I’ll purchase the DSG tune.

shall I prepare for a night and day difference with the DSG tune?😂
No, I don't think FFS would affect anything negatively on the car, but it also won't do you any favors so if you can toggle that option off I would just to be cautious. A TCU tune will be very noticeable in daily drivability by changing the shifting points to allow the car to go through more of the rev range before changing gears, and will quicken shifting times when in Manual mode. It won't exactly be night and day, but you certainly won't think "I don't notice any change for the money I spent".

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
No, I don't think FFS would affect anything negatively on the car, but it also won't do you any favors so if you can toggle that option off I would just to be cautious. A TCU tune will be very noticeable in daily drivability by changing the shifting points to allow the car to go through more of the rev range before changing gears, and will quicken shifting times when in Manual mode. It won't exactly be night and day, but you certainly won't think "I don't notice any change for the money I spent".
Excellent, I’m looking forward to it. The gear indicator in the dash is a nice touch as well. Being MT biased with previous cars (E36, S2K, GTI), the DSG is truly the best of both worlds. The car can be cool and relaxed just having it in D, then when you feel like hitting boost shifting with the paddles is a blast. I still beat up a lot of DSG cars in my MT though😁

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The EQT DSG tune likes to shift at 2500-2800 under light throttle. Yours sounds like it didn't take. Very stock like. As I said, try the Cobb Sport. Its nowhere near as good as the EQT D mode but it's a lot better than stock.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
The EQT DSG tune likes to shift at 2500-2800 under light throttle. Yours sounds like it didn't take. Very stock like. As I said, try the Cobb Sport. Its nowhere near as good as the EQT D mode but it's a lot better than stock.

ordered the EQT DSG unlock+DSG stage tune for $500, just waiting for the file to come in. I believe this is correct..Get the trans temp up to normal operating temp>Flash the DSG map> go through each of the DSG relearn steps on the Cobb AP from top to bottom while the car is in P> Regular driving for ~10 miles to let it relearn?>full send

Aphron

CW :)!
I didn’t do any of that. I installed with no battery tender (new battery though) and drove it right out of garage with no issues. Drives great although still shifts hard going from 3rd to 2nd. (Bfi mounts are incredible as well, much better than the 034 ones I had)

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I didn’t do any of that. I installed with no battery tender (new battery though) and drove it right out of garage with no issues. Drives great although still shifts hard going from 3rd to 2nd. (Bfi mounts are incredible as well, much better than the 034 ones I had)

Awesome looking forward to it!