GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Rear Subframe locking collar

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I start installing this and I'm having an issue getting the front of the subframe to come down. The back came down easy but I mostly unthreaded the 2 fronts and they didn't budge. Anyone come across this?

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Might it be sticking? Is there anywhere safe you can find to try prying it down a bit to see if that works? If not, there must be something still bolted not allowing it to move.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I found the issue. The instructions are outdated so they're of little help. They allowed me to identify the 4 subframe bolts but what they don't mention are the 2 support bolts. Not sure if older mk7's have these 2 bolts but my 2020 does. I saw them last night but didn't want to mess with it. This morning, I was doing more digging and that's when I saw someone else's post on the same issue.

There's one of these bolts on each side right before the front of the rear subframe. They're high up, but need to come out.

PXL_20210130_163344738~2.jpg

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
All is good now, spent some time this past Saturday getting the collars done. After removing the 2 support bolts, I had to pry the frame a bit as I didn't loosen the other two rear bolts. Can't really state any benefits to them at the moment since I haven't been driving much and we got a Nor'easter.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
All is good now, spent some time this past Saturday getting the collars done. After removing the 2 support bolts, I had to pry the frame a bit as I didn't loosen the other two rear bolts. Can't really state any benefits to them at the moment since I haven't been driving much and we got a Nor'easter.

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Have this kit on order and have some questions regarding your install. Did you find the torque values for the two additional bolts that need to come out? When installing the kit did you have a gap between the body and the mounting hole for the additional bolts that had to be removed? Did you reuse these additional bolts? I suspect that there was a gap at this location due to the thickness of the top locking collar piece. Thanks.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Have this kit on order and have some questions regarding your install. Did you find the torque values for the two additional bolts that need to come out? When installing the kit did you have a gap between the body and the mounting hole for the additional bolts that had to be removed? Did you reuse these additional bolts? I suspect that there was a gap at this location due to the thickness of the top locking collar piece. Thanks.
I didn't torque those two bolts. They are actually smaller bolts and came out easy so when I reinstalled, I tightened as hard as could. When I install my Stern subframe brace, I plan on checking to see if they are still tight. I did re-use them as ECS only supplied the 4 subframe bolts. Don't take my word for it, the 2 smaller bolts are support bolts so I don't think they are stretch bolts.

If you don't remove those 2 bolts, you will not get the gap needed towards the front of the subframe. That was the issue I had initially. Once I removed them, I was able to get the clearance needed to insert the collars. Make sure you loosen all 4 other bolts, but don't remove them. I posted a video on youtube that might help you locate the bolts easier hopefully. MK7.5 GTI Rear Subframe - YouTube

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I didn't torque those two bolts. They are actually smaller bolts and came out easy so when I reinstalled, I tightened as hard as could. When I install my Stern subframe brace, I plan on checking to see if they are still tight. I did re-use them as ECS only supplied the 4 subframe bolts. Don't take my word for it, the 2 smaller bolts are support bolts so I don't think they are stretch bolts.

If you don't remove those 2 bolts, you will not get the gap needed towards the front of the subframe. That was the issue I had initially. Once I removed them, I was able to get the clearance needed to insert the collars. Make sure you loosen all 4 other bolts, but don't remove them. I posted a video on youtube that might help you locate the bolts easier hopefully. MK7.5 GTI Rear Subframe - YouTube
Got it. Again I want to ask, did you have a gap between the body of the car and the mounting hole for the smaller bolts once all the locking collars were in place and tight but not torqued? Don't know the thickness of the top collar that fits between the body and the subframe or does the collar sink into the bushing? This might give the gap I mention. Will look at the video. Thanks

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Everything went up fine. There may be a gap where the collar on the top of the subframe to the frame sits. You are adding a thin collar between frames, so yes, there will a thin gap, but you won't be able to see it. The 2 other bolts went up fine with no gap between frames.