GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS or Unitronic Intercooler

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I'm about to buy an intercooler. Unitronic is a known quality product. Currently on sale for $599.

The ECS tuning intercooler is probably decent but I've never seen much trusted, independent 3rd party data on it. But it's 100 bux cheaper.

What would you do?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Neither one. CTS direct fit is what I have and it performs flawlessly. Every time I've had my car on the dyno, 3 different stages (FBO with no tune, then DBV2 with an E40 mix, then DBV2 with MPI), each pull was back to back and practically on top of one another. Well, with my MPI dyno time, there was a little bit of down time because we would do a pull, then send the log to Ed and wait for a revision. I don't know why the CTS direct fit IC doesn't get much love on here.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
At $799 do not buy the CTS, my opinion. The Unitronic is on sale, I bought mine when it was as well. It performs well, there is a poster, who has a site, mymk7golf, or something, it did well there on the testing and there is a poster here who was a 10.xx quarter mile with the Unitronic. The sale price is just added sauce on an already good product.

Last edited:

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
ECS, for sure. I heard from reliable sources they dip each intercooler in childrens tears, to give it extra cooling capability. Furthermore, after about two weeks, your IS20 turbo will magically grow into a IS38 from close proximity exposure to the ECS intercooler. You can look it up, its science.

Just get the cheaper one, they're going to perform almost the same. Or don't.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
At $799 do not buy the CTS, my opinion. The Unitronic is on sale, I bought mine when it was as well. It performs well, there is a poster, who has a site, mymk7golf, or something, if did well there on the testing and there is a poster here who was a 10.xx quarter mile with the Unitronic. The sale price is just added sauce on an already good product.

They do go on sale. I bought mine for $500, couple of years ago. I'm sure they will have a 4th of July sale for us Americans, or not.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Neither

Get a Baun Performance FMIC kit

:cool:

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I pulled the trigger on the Unitronic

The data from mygolfmk7.com pushed me past the ECS and to the Unitronic. I wanted to save the money on the ECS, but I also wanted complete confidence that I was getting a quality intercooler. Unitronic it is.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI