GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS MK7 GTI/Golf R Intercooler Upgrades!

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Yes, that's the same photo I linked (click on it). It's an ECS part but it's not the intercooler this thread is about. If this performs like they claim it does though, it will sell fairly well at $499.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I found it. It is not the same intercooler. @Crild really should fact check his complaints before posting them. Yes that's a sketchy looking weld in the photo, but it's not the intercooler listed here. @Crild show us on the doll where ECS hurt you. Someone hold @Crild. I'd simply return that sucker if they sent it to me.
That's the ECS intercooler related to this post. They had to repost the photo cropped out . GTI Jake posted the real version of the photo

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
That's the ECS intercooler related to this post. They had to repost the photo cropped out . GTI Jake posted the real version of the photo
For sure not the same intercooler. The one posted by the two guys looks to replace the factory one and if it is in fact a fmic it's a different design. 2 reason i say that is because of the outer design and the way the ecs is positioned. If you're gonna at least shit post about a company please get your facts right, i have nothing from ecs and have no reason to

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Yeah as yall have discussed we had a few get out with less than beautiful welds, but they pass pressure testing etc.

The stock intercooler can be removed or left in place. In the near future, we'll have factory intercooler delete brackets to make removing stock and installing our front mount a plug and play solution.

Last edited:

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Yeah as yall have discussed we had a few get out with less than beautiful welds, but they pass pressure testing etc.

The stock intercooler is removed when using ours, we include factory intercooler delete brackets.
Stock intercooler is removed? You probably have this confused with another model/car.
You might want to double check with your tech department on that...

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Stock intercooler is removed? You probably have this confused with another model/car.
You might want to double check with your tech department on that...
They might have it confused can't tell from the pictures. But I guess my question is why... Might as well do a stock replacement lol. Was considering this one but I want a little more data and feedback on pressure drop/flow. And that post is a little sketchy.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
They might have it confused can't tell from the pictures. But I guess my question is why... Might as well do a stock replacement lol. Was considering this one but I want a little more data and feedback on pressure drop/flow. And that post is a little sketchy.
They are definitely confused. This does not require removing the stock intercooler. Also @vulticGTI you should take two minutes to click on the product link in the first post if you want "a little more data". There you'll find more data than probably anyone else selling an intercooler has provided.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
They are definitely confused. This does not require removing the stock intercooler. Also @vulticGTI you should take two minutes to click on the product link in the first post if you want "a little more data". There you'll find more data than probably anyone else selling an intercooler has provided.
I looked at theirs. No need to be rude about it. I prefer to have more information than just the sellers testing. You never know about bias and unknown information not included to help sales.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Hey there wasn't being rude in the least - just letting you know there was a mountain of information on their page for you.
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...7_Front_Mount_Intercooler_Testing_Results.pdf

Temperature Rise and Temp Delta are comparing the same data sets. The reason for temperature rise I don't agree with, I believe there is additional cooling in the inlet temps due to the additional piping to route to the FMIC. Inlet temps don't have that much to do with having the radiator there.

I also find it strange in the large difference in the inlet temps for the stock vs OE replacement (assuming it's theirs) as there shouldn't be much variation if really put under similar conditions.

I guess conclusions are the important factors such as temp drop and consistency are fine but would like to see some comparisons of ambient to IAT in real world applications. Might overall be an acceptable IC that's improvement over the stock but i'll probably stick to something else.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Im i for one of these ASAP.

Is there a stock intercooler delete kit anywhere? Would hate to carry the extra weight for no reason

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Im i for one of these ASAP.

Is there a stock intercooler delete kit anywhere? Would hate to carry the extra weight for no reason
It's not for no reason. You kinda need that to keep the air flowing through the radiator and everything correctly. If removed it can cause turbulence unless you're able to move the other radiators back to back