GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eco Mode and DSG

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Decided to try Economy Mode.

Box changes up quicker to a higher gear and more reluctant to down shift when accelerating.

Seems gearbox coasts in neutral with 'eco' light on (i.e. no throttle applied).
Also the gear indication reads 'E' or E, plus the gear the box is in. I.e. E3.

If the bakes are applied, car remains in the gear best suited for the speed, thus acting like normal engine braking.

It's amazing how easily the car, despite 225 18" tyres, coasts along.

As for fuel savings, it's too early to say.

Stripey

Ready to race!
I use Eco all the time. Having tried my normal journeys in all modes, Eco is by far the most economical which I think is mostly due to the 'coasting' element when not on the gas. Some people hate Eco, some people hate 'cruising' around in an unnecessarily low gear (I.e. In sport mode), it's all about personal choice and compromise!

Other threads will testify, ambient temperature makes a massive difference on fuel economy. But I guess if you own an 'R', fuel economy will be low on the priorities!

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
For reasons that are unclear to me, the US Golf R will not have the ECO mode. Given the emphasis on fuel economy due to the new CAFE standard, it doesn't make sense that VW would remove that feature.

kevinm1

Ready to race!
I tried Eco mode for the first time a few days ago. To get the most out of the coasting you have to plan a few hundred meters in advance. Again it's too early to say how much it improves mpg but I am seeing 41-42mpg (UK mpg) on motorway runs.

Stripey

Ready to race!
With DSG, it changes up quite quickly keeping revs fairly low all the time. This kind of reduces the temptation to drive as fast as possible all the time (but it is still possible to red line it in Eco if you want to!). So there are some fuel savings there. It also disengages the gears when you take your foot off the gas to let you coast in neutral. Without the resistance of the engine, you can coast a lot further like this whilst revs are idling at 800rpm.

zgap101

Ready to race!
If you're coasting and slipstreaming, and slowing getting nearer to the vehicle in front, I flip the gear to tiptronic, and engine braking slows the car a little bit and flip back to auto to get back onto coasting - all without pressing the brake or gas... :)

Silvadadi

Passed Driver's Ed
If you're coasting and slipstreaming, and slowing getting nearer to the vehicle in front, I flip the gear to tiptronic, and engine braking slows the car a little bit and flip back to auto to get back onto coasting - all without pressing the brake or gas... :)

I know what you mean but cheaper to replace brakes than a gearbox......

Anayat

Ready to race!
I quite like Eco mode, it adds 10mpg to my short commute. It also means when I stick it into sport it feels like a different car!

Mine is always on Eco, 2.0 diesel and urban crawl don't mix very well so I get best mpg from Eco. And I know what you mean about kicking it into sport, it feels like a completely different beast. Love the change of feel soon as it's in sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psquared2

Ready to race!
I have been using Eco for a while now and like it. It encourages me to drive reasonably gently on my mostly 30/40 limited urban journeys in an area with frequent active mobile speed cameras. But I use sport when I want or need to and as others say using sport makes it feel like a different car.

And I must say that regardless of the actual affect on fuel consumption (54 mpg over 150 motorway miles yesterday) it made me smile at one point to be doing 80 in E with the engine ticking over at 800 rpm.