GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

eBay Twintercooler

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
How did it go? Thinking of picking one of these up soon. I have a 7.5 wagon, not sure if I’ll need to trim lol.
All in all it went pretty smooth. I'm glad a had a spare coupling because I screwed up the included one when I tried to trim it.

The only real issuer I ran into was the clamps that go on the stock intercooler where slightly to small, so I had to use some screw style clamps I had on hand.

I bought some t-clamps on amazon to replace them with when I get a chance.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
All in all it went pretty smooth. I'm glad a had a spare coupling because I screwed up the included one when I tried to trim it.

The only real issuer I ran into was the clamps that go on the stock intercooler where slightly to small, so I had to use some screw style clamps I had on hand.

I'd check to make sure you don't have any boost leaks. I found that when I doubled up the couplers on the stock location intercooler I was bleeding a small amount of air through the coupler I had cut.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion

Mind if I ask what you installed it on?

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I only ask because I’m wondering if the fitment will suck on my wagon.

did the included hoses work? And did it come with everything necessary? Aside from the clamps I guess I hear they’re bad I’ll probably Order new ones

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Mind if I ask what you installed it on?
- It was on a MK 7 GTI without the front assist. I have no idea how it would fit on a wagon.

- The hoses fit fine, except for the stock radiator where you need the smaller one to fill in the gap.

- I did spray some hairspray in the hoses to make them easier to slide on, then once it dries it acts like a weak adhesive

- The only clamps that I had to replace were the two larger ones for the stock IC. The other four were fine

- If you have a secondary air injection pump will have to bend the bracket that holds the electrical connector so that the hose doesn't fit, but that's easy enough to do.

- I did the installation by myself and used a jack to hold the IC up to mark the holes and I was able to get it just about perfectly level.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Nice. Sounds great. I’m not sure about the secondary air injection to be perfectly honest I’ll have to see. Hairspray is a nice tip. Unsure what you mean with the stock radiator bit but I’m sure once I’m in there it will make itself clear.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
- It was on a MK 7 GTI without the front assist. I have no idea how it would fit on a wagon.

- The hoses fit fine, except for the stock radiator where you need the smaller one to fill in the gap.

- I did spray some hairspray in the hoses to make them easier to slide on, then once it dries it acts like a weak adhesive

- The only clamps that I had to replace were the two larger ones for the stock IC. The other four were fine

- If you have a secondary air injection pump will have to bend the bracket that holds the electrical connector so that the hose doesn't fit, but that's easy enough to do.

- I did the installation by myself and used a jack to hold the IC up to mark the holes and I was able to get it just about perfectly level.
It comes with brackets right?

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
It comes with brackets right?
If you're talking about the mounting brackets, then yes. They are welded to the intercooler.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Just bought one of the g-plus intercoolers off ebay. Best offered the Stainless/black hose combo for $260 was cheapest I could find. I had one of these on my MK5 as well and it worked great. Cant really see any other reason to spend more for a Stage 2 car.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Im pretty sure I will be ordering one of these for my 2019 Autobahn. I have read through the whole thread and have a few questions from those who have done the install. I currently have the 90mm variant in my cart for $319. Does the 90mm unit fit without issue behind the grill, or would the 65mm unit be an easier fit (no trimming of the car plastics). Furthermore, is there a substantial performance difference?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
90mm fit without issue on my 2016 SE behind the bumper.

I'd imagine there is some performance difference between the two, general rule is bigger equals better. Substantial? No idea. Either will be a large improvement over stock.

Unless they've changed things in the last 2 years, the only fitment issue is you need additional coupler to "pad" the inlet on the stock intercooler as the hose are too wide.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
90mm fit without issue on my 2016 SE behind the bumper.

I'd imagine there is some performance difference between the two, general rule is bigger equals better. Substantial? No idea. Either will be a large improvement over stock.

Unless they've changed things in the last 2 years, the only fitment issue is you need additional coupler to "pad" the inlet on the stock intercooler as the hose are too wide.
Alright, thats all I needed to hear. Ordering the 90mm version. Thank you!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Is twintercooler more lagish than one in stock position?
No. There is no measurable lag based on time to fill the additional volume with charge air. Jeff Jones has done some testing and volume math on that question and we are talking fractions of a second that nobody is perceiving.