GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EA888 rev limit

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You're not into racing are you?
I do. I race at high plains here in Colorado. Due to covid I only got maybe 10 days in in 2020. But I’m usually very active in my league.

I also tune via hptuners and hondata and have for almost 2 decades.

I also co own a performance shop that specializes in built motors more than anything else.

I fail to see what racing has to do with having enough tq for daily driving. You don’t need monstrous amounts of tw down low when you’re going to the grocery store.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I do. I race at high plains here in Colorado. Due to covid I only got maybe 10 days in in 2020. But I’m usually very active in my league.

I also tune via hptuners and hondata and have for almost 2 decades.

I also co own a performance shop that specializes in built motors more than anything else.

I fail to see what racing has to do with having enough tq for daily driving. You don’t need monstrous amounts of tw down low when you’re going to the grocery store.
I guess unless you want to get to the grocery store faster. 😂 I drive all day so the extra torque comes in handy at stoplights.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've read that as well. Any idea why? I have a spare head i was going to machine.
Man this is news to me too but I’m new to the platform. I remember guys going to the 1.8 head back in the day. Intake ports were larger or some such. I wonder if it’s because of the budack cycle. I doubt it since it just shuts the intake valve sooner, but I’d figure I’d throw a guess in there.

just seems weird

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Google and understand "volumetric efficiency".

It is modeled in the ECU. Messing with it in a closed loop factory ECU can become a real can of worms when you have partial access.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Google and understand "volumetric efficiency".

It is modeled in the ECU. Messing with it in a closed loop factory ECU can become a real can of worms when you have partial access.

Is there a Cliff's notes anywhere on volumetric efficiency? lol

Vc – clearance volume. The volumetric efficiency ηv [-] is defined as the ratio between the actual (measured) volume of intake air Va [m3] drawn into the cylinder/engine and the theoretical volume of the engine/cylinder Vd [m3], during the intake engine cycle. \eta_v = \frac{V_a}{V_d} \tag{3}

I'm leaving mine alone.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Has to do with the efficiency of the engine, all things considered. What percent of the full displacement is being utilized. Generally turbo cars are above 100% Ve, since they have a turbo cramming more air in.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Exactly, so when you port the head, you have manipulated the VE curve, and it now does not match the one modeled in the ECU.

I can't speak for all tuning solutions, but Maestro does not have access to the VE modeling.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Exactly, so when you port the head, you have manipulated the VE curve, and it now does not match the one modeled in the ECU.

I can't speak for all tuning solutions, but Maestro does not have access to the VE modeling.

So basically what Hoon is saying here, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, is don't port the head!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So basically what Hoon is saying here, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, is don't port the head!

Depends on the setup...if it's a big turbo car and power is the only consideration, port the head for sure.

Our basic hybrid daily driver...nah I'd rather make a bit less power and maintain stock drivability.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
How do you know the Ve is modeled in the ecu? Not that I disbelieve you, but I'd like to read up on it more. Plus wherever you found that may have more information as well.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...I also co own a performance shop that specializes in built motors more than anything else...
If I may ask, and you are willing to share, which one? Seeing you are in Denver this could come in handy should things go sideways for me. Always figured I would have Pagparts do my build if something were to happen, but have to admit the shipping of entire car or engine is a hassle....not to mention if something cropped up post build nice to deal locally vs 1800 miles away.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If I may ask, and you are willing to share, which one? Seeing you are in Denver this could come in handy should things go sideways for me. Always figured I would have Pagparts do my build if something were to happen, but have to admit the shipping of entire car or engine is a hassle....not to mention if something cropped up post build nice to deal locally vs 1800 miles away.
We don’t do anything German or rotary. But I’ll dm u the details.

Reactions: MSH

Hoon

Autocross Champion
How do you know the Ve is modeled in the ecu? Not that I disbelieve you, but I'd like to read up on it more. Plus wherever you found that may have more information as well.

Because it's a speed density setup. It has to be modeled, that's how it calculates fueling, otherwise it would need a MAF sensor.