GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EA888 rev limit

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Head flow on this engine is absolute garbage. Hydraulic lifters and oil pump are both incapable of much over 8000rpm, but you won't make power above 8k anyway because of the head.

A 20 year old stock Honda head puts a ported EA888.3 head to shame.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Head flow on this engine is absolute garbage. Hydraulic lifters and oil pump are both incapable of much over 8000rpm, but you won't make power above 8k anyway because of the head.

To be fair. I personally can’t think of an i4 with a head that flows as great as a k20 or k24

I’ve built tons of them. The last build had a fully built bottom with much higher compression pistons. And some gnarly cams too. Head is still stock. Because it’s just that good.

I know the golf r head is better than the gti’s. But on its own it’s not great either.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
To be fair. I personally can’t think of an i4 with a head that flows as great as a k20 or k24

I’ve built tons of them. The last build had a fully built bottom with much higher compression pistons. And some gnarly cams too. Head is still stock. Because it’s just that good.

I know the golf r head is better than the gti’s. But on its own it’s not great either.

Doesn't even have to be a K series, even an H22 head.

Between the head design and the thin wall blocks, our engines will never be one of the legendary 4 bangers. Great engines for 5-600hp, but a waste of time to go beyond that.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

True and on the flipside, I haven't seen a ported head not give any issues with our platform.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Doesn't even have to be a K series, even an H22 head.

Between the head design and the thin wall blocks, our engines will never be one of the legendary 4 bangers. Great engines for 5-600hp, but a waste of time to go beyond that.
The h on the preludes did have a good head too

and I agree, the ea888 is a good motor but it’s not gonna go down in history. That’s truth.

the brz gt86 frs second gen fa20 has a nice head too. The wrx fa20 also has a nice head too but no where near as nice as it’s all motor sister

second gen s2k was godly

BlackT5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
The EA888 isn't bad. We can make great power at the end of the day even if we cant rev the crap out of it. Much more than other platforms out there.

Looking at you Ford....been there done that.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The EA888 isn't bad. We can make great power at the end of the day even if we cant rev the crap out of it. Much more than other platforms out there.

Exactly. How many daily driven 500whp S2Ks are out there?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Plus the higher revving engines don't have the torque down lower in the RPM range. And more torque at lower RPM 's is better for street driving.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
ok, it was mostly a matter of curiosity, I'm already getting kinda silly with what I'm doing to the car, was looking to see how much headroom there was and when it was going to stop being worth the additional bucks.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
More than an S2k had. Glorious engine, at least the AP1, but it did feel like a Miata from idle to 7k rpm. Great from 7-9k rpm, of course.
The first gen s2k felt like it had enough tq for daily driving. I never had issues with it. And never did I think, wow I wish this was a bit torquier

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Mine is still getting great traction with 428 torque.
I get that. And I never insinuated anything to the effect that too much was bad. I’m just saying, stock k20 or k24 even, it’s got enough low end tq for daily driving. I don’t understand why you would want more on a fwd car

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I get that. And I never insinuated anything to the effect that too much was bad. I’m just saying, stock k20 or k24 even, it’s got enough low end tq for daily driving. I don’t understand why you would want more on a fwd car
You're not into racing are you?