GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

E85 in CA

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Question to those blending or running E85 out here. Since CA law requires E85 branded fuel be at least 83% ethanol or be taxed like normal gas, do you test your stations often?

I get nationally it can range from 55 to 85%, but is that an issue here?

I found a few forum posts that quote Pearson's fuels CEO confirming that they always blend for 83% year round in CA. I have propel fuels near me, they claim they only sell 85%.

Just curious if testing one station and sticking to it works, or if people test every fill up.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
i usually just use the same station. it's typically around e78. But sometimes i'll go to different stations, and it will be higher than e85. I've never experienced a station that was lower than e75ish.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I never heard of that... a few of the stations around here have "e85" that only state that it's above e50 in their little disclaimer sticker, but most of the stations guarantee at least e70. I measured my last 2 fill ups at ~e78.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I never heard of that... a few of the stations around here have "e85" that only state that it's above e50 in their little disclaimer sticker, but most of the stations guarantee at least e70. I measured my last 2 fill ups at ~e78.
CARB requires 79% ethanol with 2% other alcohols at a minimum else they lose their tax status for flex fuel from what I've read.

Pearson and propel fuels both confirmed they target an 83% blend year round. From replies on local FB groups it seems to confirm this so far. 79%+ year round for the most part.

Since I'm stacking JB4 I can't use a Guage that uses the odb2 port. Looking at maybe the innovate Guage as I was told it doesn't use the odb2.

Looking to probably blend e15-18, seems e30 might be too taxing on the stock fuel system.

So far it seems Cali had really good E85. Just debating if I can test once ever so often if I stick with a station or if I should be testing every fill up. Might ultimately just get a Guage if the innovate can be installed without odb2.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Fillup last night was ~80-81%, although it was a different station. That would match up with our data if the minimum is 79%, I would think 78% would be within our margin of error. I'm measuring with the flex fuel sensor installed in my car. I've only measured closely the last 3 fillups because I've been trying full e85, before that I was only running ~E20 so it wasn't very precise, so I don't know what typical is yet either.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Fillup last night was ~80-81%, although it was a different station. That would match up with our data if the minimum is 79%, I would think 78% would be within our margin of error. I'm measuring with the flex fuel sensor installed in my car. I've only measured closely the last 3 fillups because I've been trying full e85, before that I was only running ~E20 so it wasn't very precise, so I don't know what typical is yet either.
Not sure if you have Propel fuels up there. I emailed them and they got back to me saying they target a delivery content of 82-84% year round in CA.

Going to test their pump I'm using when my test kit gets here. Though a sensor reads more accurate than a water test. I assume I'd see either 80 or 85 on the test.

"
Dear Sean,

First off, thanks so much for reaching out to Propel. We always love hearing from customers interested in learning more about our fuels.

We know our customers expect a true E85 product, so we do our best to hit that mark. That said, we strive to offer E85 that is as close to 85% percent ethanol content as possible (with a typical delivery containing between 82% and 84% ethanol). And, because the weather in CA doesn't vary as drastically as it does in other parts of the U.S., we offer that blend year-round.

Hope that's helpful, and thanks again for giving us a shout.

Also if you have a second please complete Propel's Customer Satisfaction Survey
https://www.surveymonkey.com/ r/G68TYK2

Best,

Junior Barnes"
Customer Service

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Propel fuels is the main one around here, but the one I used last night was straight from a chevron pump.