GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

E30 Tune?

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
So I was dicking around and decided to try MAPerformances E30 tune.
I got it for free so I decided why not. I know their tunes aren't the greatest but I thought why not.
I will say the thing seems to pull harder than my 93 Data logged Strat tune, so that being said I CAN'T WAIT for my Strat Data logged E30 tune.

But.. there was one concern that I had..
My car seemed like it was over heating.. I think?
On the freeway after doing a handful of pulls, at one point I realized.. the heat isn't on and there is heat coming from the front of the car towards me. It didn't get really hot, it just felt like if I had the heat on fan setting one on defrost or whatever.
I didn't smell any burning except at one point I thought I could smell the Ethanol burning but it was VERY VERY faint.
I stopped somewhere and looked underneath. It didn't feel that hot underneath and I didn't smell anything..
Is this normal?

IIRC Ethanol burns hotter? But yeah it got pretty warm in the cab and it was fairly chilly outside too (40-50F range + rain).

As for how much I put.
I only put 3.5 gallons of E85 in and by that point I was full.

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I have never experienced that personally. But I have not run ethanol before. I also have never heard of that happening before either. Did you look at the coolant temp on your accessport?

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
I have never experienced that personally. But I have not run ethanol before. I also have never heard of that happening before either. Did you look at the coolant temp on your accessport?
I didn't but I should have. Once the weather gets good, ill go down for more Eth and get some in a can and rerun it again and really monitor things.
I checked for errors on my AP aswell and got nothing.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Yeah, I would hope that it's fine. Just don't trust that coolant gauge lol that thing lies like crazy. It was indicating 200*F and when I was JB4 it regularly showed 220-230*F.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
The only thing I could think of was since I just threw E85 on top of my 93 it didn't get properly mixed?
So I was mostly burning 93 on a E30 tune..?

I read that someone hit near 29 psi on this tune but I only managed to hit 27.8 so.. /shrug

joneze93tsi

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably heated up your kerfluter.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Is it safe to use E30 while using my 93 tune?
My 93 tune is for when I want crackles or flames.

Last edited:

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Is it possible since ethanol burns cooler and its cold outside that my car is auto kicking on the heater?
When i'm driving the car hard I can feel heat coming from the vents.
/shrug

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is it possible since ethanol burns cooler and its cold outside that my car is auto kicking on the heater?
When i'm driving the car hard I can feel heat coming from the vents.
/shrug

You must have an option that no one else has.