GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

E30 Mixing Methods

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I have both the EQT Stage 2 91, and E30 tunes for my car. I have not really dabbled with mixing E30 yet, and was wondering how others do their mixing. Specifically I am interested to see if the accuracy of the Refuel Quantity reading on the dash is accurate enough to calculate your mix ratio. I have the fuel-it Bluetooth sensor installed, and my current 91 octane here is reading exactly at 10%. I'm sure I could use the Refuel Quantity reading to get within a +/- 3% of E30, but figured I'd see what others do. I would rather just calculate how much of each I need, and add it direct to the fuel tank, rather mess with mixing cans.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Refuel quantity gets you within 1-1.5 gal of the actual volume. I saved a few receipts from when filling up so that I know how much was put in depending on the fuel gauge reading. And I use a simple algebraic formula for tge amount of E85 needed assumibg it's 83% ethanol.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It will vary as the pumps ethanol rating changed through batch’s,

I’m on e50-60 tune and that’s usually 6 gallons of E and 4-5 gallons of 91. But it def changes.

If his gas in Idaho follows the same patterns as Cali gas, his regular gasoline ethanol content should remain pretty constant.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Refuel quantity gets you within 1-1.5 gal of the actual volume. I saved a few receipts from when filling up so that I know how much was put in depending on the fuel gauge reading. And I use a simple algebraic formula for tge amount of E85 needed assumibg it's 83% ethanol.

I guess I didn't think of utilizing fuel receipts/quantities to benchmark where the gauge sits. I already track that info anyways, would just be a matter of adding where the needle sits to review.

If his gas in Idaho follows the same patterns as Cali gas, his regular gasoline ethanol content should remain pretty constant.

I'm not sure how they do it here, as I know there is a large disdain for anything E based because the "Government mandates it". I was actually surprised to find a company that not only has ethanol free pumps, but E85, and 101 octane, all in the same island. I think they cater to the heavy snow machine, and UTV presence here due to the sand dunes, and the vast expanses of country you can snowmobile in.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Regular as in 91/93 yeah I always see it consistent at 10%

E85, though our pumps vary for time and station to station, we only one one station in town that’s got consistent e85 with at least 75% content, the other 4 are often at times coming out the pump
At 55-60% 😩

I’ve had times where I was at e49ish with 3 gallons left and added 6 gallons of e85 and only bumped the rating up to 54/55

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I have an Audi, so my fuel level is represented in 8 "segments" so its not very helpful. I have done a lot of testing/observations to figure out a good way to go about this as well.

In my experience, using Long term mpg (which I reset on fillup) vs distanced traveled (also reset on fillup) is really darn accurate.

Once below half tank, using the same "long term mpg" vs mileage remaining is pretty close too surprisingly. If I use the ecu reported tank level vs rated 14.5 gallons it's pretty close too...although I have found using 14 gallons for the maths is a bit better.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Thanks for the tips. That gives me something to work off of, and figure out for my fuel ups.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
It depends on the station, so you're going to have to play around with ratios for a bit until you figure it out. One station near me I have to put in 4.5-4.75 gallons of E to 7ish gallons of 91 to get to E30, the other station has better E and I only have to put in 3.75-4 gallons of E...

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I have a glass bottle for testing (ethanol can vary immensely)
Glass Ethanol test bottle
Then use an app to gauge. I use e85Cal and APE
Then break up the fuel amount based on past results, I track every tank of gas on an excel spreadsheet, yeah I'm that guy, I also track my maintenance on it so it's helpful. Looking at my app, I use 14.5 gallons with 10% ethanol. When I fill up I usually use 3.5 gallons ethanol to 10 gallons 93oct (w/10% ethanol), that gives me about 30% ethanol. Hope that helps and is clear.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I have a glass bottle for testing (ethanol can vary immensely)
Glass Ethanol test bottle
Then use an app to gauge. I use e85Cal and APE
Then break up the fuel amount based on past results, I track every tank of gas on an excel spreadsheet, yeah I'm that guy, I also track my maintenance on it so it's helpful. Looking at my app, I use 14.5 gallons with 10% ethanol. When I fill up I usually use 3.5 gallons ethanol to 10 gallons 93oct (w/10% ethanol), that gives me about 30% ethanol. Hope that helps and is clear.

Makes sense to me. I used to track everything in an excel sheet, but now utilize an app that can export into excel, which has all the data I need, including maintenance and parts. Makes it a bit easier.

I'll go a few more tanks on 91 octane to get a few benchmarks for quantities, then will make the switch from there.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Makes sense to me. I used to track everything in an excel sheet, but now utilize an app that can export into excel, which has all the data I need, including maintenance and parts. Makes it a bit easier.

I'll go a few more tanks on 91 octane to get a few benchmarks for quantities, then will make the switch from there.

Soooo, what's the app? Always fun to modernize LOL.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Soooo, what's the app? Always fun to modernize LOL.

I'm on a iPhone, not sure if it's on Android. But I'm using the app Road Trip MPG. For awhile I was using just the free version, which just tracked fuel related entries like mileage, quantity, price. Last month I finally paid the $5 for the full version, which has all the other features such as maintenance, parts, etc. The screenshots are from my truck, as I haven't had the Golf for very long.
IMG-6898.PNG
IMG-6899.PNG
IMG-6900.PNG

Road Trip Excel.JPG