GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

E Blend vs Direct Port WMI

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I'm mostly provisioned for E from a fueling standpoint with MPI, LPFP & lines however E pumps locally have dried up in recent years. I basically live in the forrest in the Poconos and while I've got 2 destination EV charging arrays within 10 miles, the closest E85 pump is 1.5 hours round-trip. I have little ones, wife, tons of shuffling around logistic and errand-wise which results in a general scatterbrained state at times so layering in blend management seems intimidating and anxiety inducing to be honest. I'm at a comfy spot with my build and tuning on 93 with a bit of room to go. According to EQT, I'll be approaching light knock if pushed much more on 93.

I've never explored WMI before until recently and it seems like a solid approach for me for the following reasons that I'm hoping the hive mind can either stomp on or suggest a full send on.

1. I have no shortage of physical space in the car and would happily run a 5G tank in the trunk. We just loaded up the fam for a trip to VA with the Inno Wedge on top. With all of our gear I could have fit 2x5G tanks easily.
2. Direct port, with proper tuning support, including a failsafe seems very elegant. Hardware from Sneeky, Snow, ProMeth and AquaMist seem to offer high quality hardware at a reasonable cost.
3. Probably the most beneficial IMO is the level of control offered, most intriguing is the notion of a N20 window-ish setup where the system ramps up dynamically only at WOT.

What am I missing?

Look at this beauty:
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 8.20.32 PM.png

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That’s the gen2 intake manifold.

our manifolds do have space for nozzles on the top, maybe the bottom though.

I run a dual nozzle pre throttle WMI setup, and I’m on an EBlend and have the parts to start my MPI install now. I love it... I’ve run a 175shot nitrous setup on a car before and when the meth starts spraying it reminds me of a super mild version of the nitrous hit, you feel and hear the engines tone change

I will say I would not suggest running WMI as a direct port setup for a regular driver car though, mine is for the cooling benefits really...if the pump fails on me no biggie. (I have a fail safe kit in the car also) If you do it as you are suggesting you will be in a position where the car is DEPENDENT on the system to be operational, if your pump fails or a line clogs it could be Catastrophic to the engine. Granted a well thought out and designed fail safe and that wouldn’t be a massive concern.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I wouldn’t. Enjoy the car.

Yeah, sound advice, thanks Diggs. Part of it too is the discomfort I'm feeling by not having a definitive path forward while I enjoy her.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
it does add a few extra points of failure. So it is riskier than e85. You’ll also want a custom tune, so you’ll have to go accessport.

at least you won’t need an upgraded intercooler anymore. The meth will allow for a more aggressive boost map and more timing too.

Last edited:

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Granted a well thought out and designed fail safe and that wouldn’t be a massive concern.

Gotcha, yeah any other way would be a no-go right off the bat. I was under the assumption based on some initial research that with proper hardware and tuning, a reliable fail-safe could be implemented.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
it does add a few extra points of failure. So it is riskier than e85. You’ll also want a custom tune, so you’ll have to go accessport.

at least you won’t need an intercooler anymore. The meth will allow for a more aggressive boost map and more timing too.

You’re not serious right? Water meth as a REPLACEMENT for an intercooler? Talk about twisted

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

at least you won’t need an intercooler anymore. The meth will allow for a more aggressive boost map and more timing too.

I'm tuned via Cobb AP now.
You’re not serious right? Water meth as a REPLACEMENT for an intercooler? Talk about twisted

He must of meant Intercooler [ check ] as a low hanging apple already plucked. Maybe not though hah.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I was twincharged. Eaton m62 with a gt28. The blower was air to water cooled. Turbo was air to air. If not for the meth controlling those temps I don’t think my build would have been possible.

Turbo charger boost post air to air turbo was ambient. Post supercharger’s laminova cores were between ambient to no more than 5f

meth cools the air Won’t be cooler than ambient. Obviously. But it will impress u.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That’s true, but not related to what the OP is looking at... direct port meth is not for cooling the air charge anymore, it’s for supplemental fueling.
Yeah I wouldn’t go direct port. You lose a lot of the cooling benefits. Best spot would be after compression but way before the intercooler inlet.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Gotcha, yeah any other way would be a no-go right off the bat. I was under the assumption based on some initial research that with proper hardware and tuning, a reliable fail-safe could be implemented.
Not fail safe could be built into the ECU/accessport, you would have to have a hardware based setup like maybe something that could trip the DV to release the boost if the system trips the failsafe.

I have the AEM failsafe kit in my car but still don’t have it connected to a setup, I just use the gauge with it (it’s already programmed with my highs and lows though and does set off the alarm when it’s out of range or anything goes wrong in the WMI)

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah I wouldn’t go direct port. You lose a lot of the cooling benefits. Best spot would be after compression but way before the intercooler inlet.
To clarify... the OP is not asking about meth for cooling. It’s not the basis of this thread.

for what he wants from it YES 100% you’ll be able to ramp up the boost and more importantly the timing.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
To clarify... the OP is not asking about meth for cooling. It’s not the basis of this thread.

for what he want from it YES 100% you’ll be able to ramp up the boost and more importantly the timing.
I know. I merely mentioned the cooling benefit plus the ability to ramp up boost and timing.