GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dyno results after APR coils/open intake

Aussie R

Ready to race!
As per title last November I swapped from closed APR intake to the open one. I also had the APR coil packs installed.

I tried at time to have dyno tests but car haldex played up. With everything sorted and major service just done. I had dyno runs. Car is 80k km 2014 7R on APR stage 2 HO.

It Gains of 14wkw same dyno, operator and fuel as 12 months ago. It wasn’t done to advertise APR products or anything I just wanted it to see everything working well.

I am not saying everyone will get results like this and some gains likely from coils as original had done 75k km if newer min gains.

Guess it confirmed what I had felt driving car. I didn’t really expect much gains at all but more than happy with swap as I love induction sounds and the APR one is very loud in good way for me.

I just wanted to update my findings.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
So it gained 19whp from just going from one intake to another + apr coils? How is that possible? Unless the filter was dirty when u first dyno’d?

Aussie R

Ready to race!
So it gained 19whp from just going from one intake to another + apr coils? How is that possible? Unless the filter was dirty when u first dyno’d?
I have no idea. I’d say combination of new better flowing intake as many know the APR closed isn’t best flowing. I’ve seen 10hp+hp gains on UK forum swapping from APR one to r600 in past.

combined with new upgraded coil packs compared to 6 yr old ones with 75k km on them. Maybe I was just down before and these have now made car back to optimal results. It was around that hp lower than another stage 2 APR car on same dyno last year which was much newer and had r600 intake. So now matches that.

I don’t think if car was nlow km and had one of the better flowing intakes there would have been any gains. I did swap for the sound and coil packs as original had plenty km on them.

Maybe it more shows that you’ll end up being down on power over time if coil packs getting old, filter not new etc. I think that makes more sense than gains over optimal set up in start.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I have no idea. I’d say combination of new better flowing intake as many know the APR closed isn’t best flowing. I’ve seen 10hp+hp gains on UK forum swapping from APR one to r600 in past.

combined with new upgraded coil packs compared to 6 yr old ones with 75k km on them. Maybe I was just down before and these have now made car back to optimal results. It was around that hp lower than another stage 2 APR car on same dyno last year which was much newer and had r600 intake. So now matches that.

I don’t think if car was nlow km and had one of the better flowing intakes there would have been any gains. I did swap for the sound and coil packs as original had plenty km on them.

Maybe it more shows that you’ll end up being down on power over time if coil packs getting old, filter not new etc. I think that makes more sense than gains over optimal set up in start.
Oh I see.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Could also come down to ambient temperature differences at time of dyno pulls.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Unless the pulls are done back to back it’s hard to tell if it’s the mods which contributed to the gains. So many variables.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I swapped coils on the dyno and while it wasn't 100% apples/apples between my pulls, i saw no meaningful difference. On the street a few thousand miles later i started getting misfires above 33psi which were tracked down to the APR (mine were MSD branded, but same shit) coils. Switched back to stock and have been trouble free since.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Hoon, that’s interesting to hear. I’ll keep eye on things for sure.

I’ve had my mechanic do dyno test on swapping coils before and no noticeable difference also.

I just think mine must be combo of original coils being old, maybe filter on closed intake not best condition, maybe fuel different quality. I’m not going to complain though whatever it is car drives perfectly, feels strong and dyno numbers now matching other stage 2 APR cars on same dyno.

I drove custom tuned stage 2 s3 that made 20hp more than mine on another dyno and the owner and myself both could immediately tell how much stronger my car was. So as we know dyno numbers just that. It’s good to see curve, if issues in tune and before and after tests on same dyno.

I’m not saying APR the greatest or highest numbers. I know few days before mine they had stage 2 s3 on dyno that made 20wkw more than mine. It had upgraded IC and brand new turbo and 7sp trans with different brand software.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
was there a sound difference between the open and closed that was discernable?
Yes!! It’s WAY louder. I’d say easily 3 times as loud. I personally love it and more than happy with swapping. My car is 7yrs old now and driving and sounding the best it ever has. Hence why I plan to continue to keep a lot longer.

CarolinaGTIMk7

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Let me get some opinions: Stock airbox + removed snow grate + AFE + silicone turbo pipe + opened front of air entryway and added the upper open grill top inlet.

Am I wasting my money to replace this with either the AFE momentum or Injen EVO intakes ??

Have always done the CAI with turbos in the past but not sure about changing this out. Only care about performance gains and both the aftermarket intakes are advertising +15-20 hp in the 4000-5000 range. Only want a closed intake.