GOLFMKV

Dynamic Road Sign Display activated

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
Ever been driving on a road and say “Shit what’s the speed limit?”

That’s why.
I leave CarPlay w/maps running at all times because of this anytime I’m on the freeway. Lots of stupid 70 -> 55 drops in my area.. and I’m not trying to get a 15+ ticket (again).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ever been driving on a road and say “Shit what’s the speed limit?”

That’s why.

No because I'm making deliveries and I have a GPS mounted on the dashboard that shows me the same information. I use the MFD for the digital speedometer.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Sorry I don't get the correlation.

You asked why someone would want this feature.

You are using your GPS to achieve the same goal, of constant display of speed limit.

It’s like saying you can’t understand why anyone would wear a watch... because you use your cellphone to tell time. Same goal, different medium.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You asked why someone would want this feature.

You are using your GPS to achieve the same goal, of constant display of speed limit.

It’s like saying you can’t understand why anyone would wear a watch... because you use your cellphone to tell time. Same goal, different medium.

OK I get it. I just wouldn't want to give up the digital speedometer for that. They can switch back and forth but it's rare that the speed limit isn't posted anyway. Actually I would turn that feature off on my GPS if it would allow me to because it makes an annoying ding every time the speed limit changes.

br5

Car(s)
2019 GTI
I tried to activate this feature about a month ago on my Australian model but had some trouble getting it work. I’ll check if I used the same coding as in this thread.

I have the Active Info Display dash which would only have a very small picture of the speed limit sign without the loss of any other info (such as speedometer)

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
Tried telling that to a cop once. Didn't work.
IMG_2324.jpg

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
sorta on topic tangent:

One time I was working mids (8pm-6am) and bored out of my skull, when a call came over the radio. In the background you could hear the traffic unit, who was running stationary speed enforcement at the time, on his throttle... hard.

(Call signs and radio brevity codes altered for story flow and layman understanding, but quotation is verbatim.)

[Traffic]: traffic, dispatch

[dispatch]: traffic

[Traffic]: traffic, I’m in pursuit on big long flat road In middle of nowhere, they don’t appear to be stopping despite my best efforts.

[dispatch]: traffic, I understand, you are in pursuit on big long flat road in middle of nowhere. May I have the direction of travel, a description of the vehicle, and approximate speed, please?

[traffic]: traffic, “We are east-bound, I’ve got him locked at 154mph. Vehicle is a Red in color VVVVRRRAAAAAWWWOOOOOMMMMMMM”

I spit my coffee out and started laughing my ass off.

on topic: @bro120 what is t he active info display you speak of?

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
FWIW, my last rental car in Germany was a ‘19 Passat wagon. It had this feature enabled, And I thought it was useful on the autobahn. With all the construction zones the speed limit would change drastically and multiple times in a short distance.

Beyond that.... I didn’t miss it and it was somewhat annoying seeing the dash constantly flash up new road signs.

br5

Car(s)
2019 GTI
on topic: @bro120 what is t he active info display you speak of?

It’s the Audi style digital dash, a 12 inch screen instead of traditional dials. It became available as an option on the 7.5 GTI and R (and other VWs) in some markets
21142282-A86F-4FC7-8DCF-50DD6648D75F.png

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
OK I get it. I just wouldn't want to give up the digital speedometer for that. They can switch back and forth but it's rare that the speed limit isn't posted anyway. Actually I would turn that feature off on my GPS if it would allow me to because it makes an annoying ding every time the speed limit changes.
no need to give it up as I mentioned the signs are displayed in every driving data screen at the top