GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dynamic Mirror Indicators Installed...Puddle Light Not Working

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
2015 Golf MK7 2.0TDI

Hi all. Today I’ve installed good quality (Ultimate Customs) dynamic wing mirror indicators. They work perfectly, look awesome and don’t have any errors showing on OBD11. Great!!! However... The wing mirror puddle lights no longer work. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s very annoying and there’s no reason why they shouldn’t work. I’ve fiddled with settings on OBD11 and can’t seem to get anywhere. Any further help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
For your UK TDI did you have to do wiring to the door module? Or just pop off the mirror caps and swap out the blinkers?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Three pins or two on your Dynamic indicators? From what I remember the puddle lights would no longer work if you installed the indicators with only two pins. No puddle lights on factory mirrors here in the states so the two pin Dynamic indicator wasn't an issue.

People that installed Dynamic indicators after already having installed power folding mirrors (with puddle lights) noticed the problem. There is coding for puddle lights but if they were working before you wouldn't need to change any coding now. The dynamic indicators should be plug and play.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You've bought a two pin indicator rather than a three pin.

No worries, just bridge the two ground wires together and your puddle lights will work again. 5 minute job with a couple of scotchlocks.

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
Three pins or two on your Dynamic indicators? From what I remember the puddle lights would no longer work if you installed the indicators with only two pins. No puddle lights on factory mirrors here in the states so the two pin Dynamic indicator wasn't an issue.

People that installed Dynamic indicators after already having installed power folding mirrors (with puddle lights) noticed the problem. There is coding for puddle lights but if they were working before you wouldn't need to change any coding now. The dynamic indicators should be plug and play.
Hi, I’m almost positive it’s a 3 pin I’ve bought. I’m very lost now :(

https://www.ultimatecustomsuk.com/products/golf-mk7-dynamic-mirror-indicators

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Pop one of them out and have a look at where the harness connects. If it does not have three pins that's the problem. The page you linked to doesn't mention anything about 2 vs 3 pin or puddle light compatibility.

I've had three different sets of these on my car. The first was a smoked version, it had two pins and the puddle lights didn't work. The next set was also smoked and the listing specifically said puddle light compatibility and showed a picture of the three pins. The set I have now is the white/clear version with three pins. I found both of the smoked ones were basically invisible in the daytime and the little square inside indicator wasn't visible even at night. All of mine were ordered from AliExpress for about $30 a set, quality was about the same for all of them as well.

Stolen picture from a listing, showing 3 pins. Smart money says you've only got 2.
Screenshot_20210211-202901.jpg

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
Pop one of them out and have a look at where the harness connects. If it does not have three pins that's the problem. The page you linked to doesn't mention anything about 2 vs 3 pin or puddle light compatibility.

I've had three different sets of these on my car. The first was a smoked version, it had two pins and the puddle lights didn't work. The next set was also smoked and the listing specifically said puddle light compatibility and showed a picture of the three pins. The set I have now is the white/clear version with three pins. I found both of the smoked ones were basically invisible in the daytime and the little square inside indicator wasn't visible even at night. All of mine were ordered from AliExpress for about $30 a set, quality was about the same for all of them as well.

Stolen picture from a listing, showing 3 pins. Smart money says you've only got 2.
View attachment 203065
Hi. Yeah mine look like this. 3 pins... any other ideas?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I have no idea how to do that :/ I’m positive there are three pins. I think it’s best I physically check
If you can change the indicator, you can bridge two wires.

Even if there are three pins (which frankly I doubt) there's no guarantee there's actually ground continuity between them. You'd need to test with a multimeter to confirm that.

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
I
If you can change the indicator, you can bridge two wires.

Even if there are three pins (which frankly I doubt) there's no guarantee there's actually ground continuity between them. You'd need to test with a multimeter to confirm that.
I should add that my little red door warning exit lights things (?) on the bottom of the door aren’t working either

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
The Mk7 doesn't come with door warning lights. Unless you've retrofitted them then there's just plastic there.
Ah okay. I wasn’t even sure if they lit up in the first place. Okay well it’s just the puddle lights. So if there are three connects (which I’m sure there is, I will check) how do I bridge two wires?