GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dying sound system?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
$2200 for just 3 yr/30k more coverage? That sounds insane.
Well, I'd almost certainly opt for the next tier which is $2870 for 5yrs/45k miles ($2545 after subtracting the value of included oil changes) as a way better value. But point taken.

I'd have ZERO qualms about waiting the 30 days than having the radio covered under it.
I guess it comes down to whether the fine print mentions anything about exclusion of pre-existing issues. It might very well not, since they'd have no way to enforce it.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
cb1111, you are awesome. Going to follow your formula and post a draft here. Quick question:

Date of first service
Not sure I follow. I bought the car at 20k and the original owner got the first two services, I got the third service. I do know the dates based on the carfax I obtained but why is it relevant for a radio?
EDIT: Woosh... you mean when it was put into service, not when it was serviced at 10k. Haha. Got it. I'll also include the VIN.

If you've owned prior VWs before then mention that as well.
Gonna milk that one. This is golf #4 (see signature)!

Last edited:

cb1111

I'm a long time Volkswagen owner with 4 prior VW cars dating back to _______ While I've always been extremely happy with my Volkswagens, I now have a problem with a manufacturer's defect that I need your help with......

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Dear Volkswagen of America,

I am a long time Volkswagen owner with four prior VW cars dating back to 2012 (a Rabbit, two GTIs, and a Golf R). While I've always been extremely happy with my Volkswagens, I now have a problem with a manufacturer's defect that I would like help with.

My 2017 Golf R (VIN: x), first put into service on x, has a current mileage of x. While my New Vehicle Limited Warranty is recently expired by time, I remain well under the allotted mileage.

My infotainment system has developed a behavior over the last several weeks that I have been monitoring closely:
  • Upon beginning a drive cycle, more often than not, the infotainment system does not boot. The screen is totally black, and nothing happens if I try to turn it on or push any other buttons. (Nothing is plugged into the USB port.)
  • If I complete a drive cycle in which the infotainment system has failed to boot as described, the issue persists into the next drive cycle (even when exiting the vehicle between drive cycles).
  • During a drive cycle in which the infotainment system has failed to boot as described, if I hold down the radio's power button (forcing it to reboot), the infotainment system then boots up (100% repeatable). While this is a temporary fix, the issue then reoccurs on one of the very next drive cycles.
Upon thoroughly researching the problem and performing diagnostics that reveal a fault (no response from control module 47) the service advisor at my local VW dealership as well as a prominent online community agree that this is an unusual failure, and I believe it is a manufacturer’s defect. The service advisor indicated that I would be responsible for the full cost of repair given my warranty status.

Driving with the infotainment system in the failed state by choosing not to hold its power button for 10+ seconds results in inoperable safety systems such as the reverse camera and rear traffic alert.

I request a goodwill repair, given that this occurred right on the edge of my warranty period. I have been the proud owner of exclusively Volkswagen vehicles for nearly a decade, and I intend for that to continue long into the future with nothing but great things to say about what Volkswagen has offered in return.

Sincerely,
x

Last edited:

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Oh, and I should probably add that an unbooted infotainment means a lack of SAFETY features like backup camera, parking sensors, etc. Most of my testing has just been in my driveway and then I force a reboot before actually going somewhere, but on the few times that I left it off for the whole drive, backing out of a parking space sucked!

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
Are there any anecdotes you can link to that support this? I agree it's worth a shot, but I had no problems with the stock software version until now. Maybe it's the reprogramming process itself, rather than actual bugfixes between versions, that causes the problem to be solved.

Yes i work as mastertech/workshopmanager at dealer, i hav done multi update from 751/752/753 to actual and for now error free sw version 757, this is in ROW models in the EU.
But i guess as the sw version in bad here it probably is "bad" in the USA also....
The sw fix is explained in technical service bulletin and fixes multiple "error" on MIB, so before of changing the module i definitely would first do firmware update...

If everything els keeps working on mib but only sounds drops away en adres 47 cant be read then maybe the faults is that module.... But ik would definitely recommend update 5F MIB first.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
If everything els keeps working on mib but only sounds drops away en adres 47 cant be read then maybe the faults is that module.... But ik would definitely recommend update 5F MIB first.
I have address 47 ("sound system") that shows as no response according to the CAN gateway. No faults related to address 5F. But the problem is NOT just with sound, it's the entire MIB that is off until I hold the power button for 10+ seconds. No graphics, no reverse camera, no sound, etc.

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
I have address 47 ("sound system") that shows as no response according to the CAN gateway. No faults related to address 5F. But the problem is NOT just with sound, it's the entire MIB that is off until I hold the power button for 10+ seconds. No graphics, no reverse camera, no sound, etc.

Then best to get the check/update sw version. I think that it also is possible that adres 47 is access trough adres 5F but have to see that on the wiring diagrams to be sure. So the lack of communication with 47 then is a extra symptom of the "bad" sw of 5F.
Also is the idea of SW error extra indication cause the "reset" holding on/off button fix it (temporary)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dear Volkswagen of America,

I am a long time Volkswagen owner with four prior VW cars dating back to 2012. While I've always been extremely happy with my Volkswagens, I now have a problem with a manufacturer's defect that I would like help with.

My 2017 Golf R (VIN: x), first put into service on x, has a current mileage of x. While my New Vehicle Limited Warranty is recently expired by time, I remain well under the allotted mileage.

My infotainment system has developed a behavior over the last several weeks that I have been monitoring closely:
  • Upon beginning a drive cycle, more often than not, the infotainment system does not boot. The screen is totally black, and nothing happens if I try to turn it on or push any other buttons. (Nothing is plugged into the USB port.)
  • If I complete a drive cycle in which the infotainment system has failed to boot as described, the issue persists into the next drive cycle (even when exiting the vehicle between drive cycles).
  • During a drive cycle in which the infotainment system has failed to boot as described, if I hold down the radio's power button (forcing it to reboot), the infotainment system then boots up (100% repeatable). While this is a temporary fix, the issue then reoccurs on one of the very next drive cycles.
Upon thoroughly researching the problem and performing diagnostics that reveal a fault (no response from control module 47) the service advisor at my local VW dealership as well as a prominent online community agree that this is an unusual failure, and I believe it is a manufacturer’s defect. The service advisor indicated that I would be responsible for the full cost of repair given my warranty status.

Driving with the infotainment system in the failed state by choosing not to hold its power button for 10+ seconds results in inoperable safety systems such as the reverse camera and rear traffic alert.

I am requesting that you consider a “goodwill” repair, given that this occurred right on the edge of my warranty period. I have been the proud owner of exclusively Volkswagen vehicles for nearly a decade, and I intend for that to continue long into the future with nothing but great things to say about what Volkswagen has offered in return.

Sincerely,
x

I think it sounds good but in the last paragraph I would state the VW's you've bought during the ten years. Owning exclusively VW's for the last ten years doesn't tell them that you've bought four of them during the ten years.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Thanks. I put "four" in the very first paragraph so I didn't want to shove the exact same words in there again, but still emphasize my loyalty. EDIT: listed each vehicle.

Last edited:

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
after fast google found this tread https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9232189-Infotainment-issues-again
here is spoken about the sw......
I have sw version 751. I see someone in that thread posted "You can check the version that is currently installed, but updates need to be performed by dealer." If that's still true, I'll wait to hear back from VWoA first. But if there is any possible way I can obtain the sw update myself, I'd like to try it. Does the TSB apply to NAR or only ROW? If you can provide it, that could be very helpful.

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
I have sw version 751. I see someone in that thread posted "You can check the version that is currently installed, but updates need to be performed by dealer." If that's still true, I'll wait to hear back from VWoA first. But if there is any possible way I can obtain the sw update myself, I'd like to try it. Does the TSB apply to NAR or only ROW? If you can provide it, that could be very helpful.
The bulliten I know is for row models, but very posible also for nar, if partnummer is the same. Or maybe it is 757 sw for row en the 755 for nar as in the topic found.

I can't check it for now due to the covid drama shop is closed and therefore I can't check the system/data.

The firmware if found is maybe posible to do it yourself, but best dine by dealer.
It big data file multiple gbyte.
And after update there wil be error that needs reset with diagnostic tool en connection with server.
Also best that module gets recoded/configuratie after update, needs also online connection.

cb1111

Yes, add the safety aspects. Great first draft BTW and far better than the whiny letters they normally get. The address to send the letter to is in your owner's manual.

The reason that you want to send it registered, return receipt required, is that somebody needs to sign for it, fill out that green card, then hand it to the office responsible for that. It then sits on the desk, festering, until it gets resolved. An email drops off the screen within minutes.

Make sure your letter fits on one sheet of paper and I'd change the "I request that you consider a "goodwill" repair" to "I request a goodwill repair" - you don't want them to consider it, you want them to do it.

cb1111

The bulliten I know is for row models, but very posible also for nar, if partnummer is the same. Or maybe it is 757 sw for row en the 755 for nar as in the topic found.

I can't check it for now due to the covid drama shop is closed and therefore I can't check the system/data.

The firmware if found is maybe posible to do it yourself, but best dine by dealer.
It big data file multiple gbyte.
And after update there wil be error that needs reset with diagnostic tool en connection with server.
Also best that module gets recoded/configuratie after update, needs also online connection.
Sure, it is just a little drama
Sorry, but COVID-19 response seems to be my life right now and everyone needs to take it seriously - not only for yourself, but for those around you.