GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dutch's Awesome GTI Nonsense And Belated Build Info Thread

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Or DAGNABBIT, for short.

I don't even have the car yet and I'm already putting together a build thread. This is where the nonsense begins, really. So far I have on hand:

This post will of course be edited to include pictures once the car is in my hands. I intend to have it tinted post-haste with an end result of 35% in mind. Legal where I work, not where I live, but a sticker is good for two years and I doubt I'll still live in RI at that point.

Tires and wheels will be upgraded once I've chewed through the stock rubber and the Austin's will most likely see winter duty. Suspension is also on the list though I've done zero research and don't know where I want to go with that yet. New England roads are atrocious so if any lowering happens, it won't be much.

A clutch upgrade is on my radar but again, undecided. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Upgraded mounts may also happen, we'll see how the 034 feels first.

Hurry up and wait, DAGNABBIT. Where's my car?

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Huh. That's a dumb thread title. Oh well.

Anyways, here's the car.

Sweet, sweet, newness:

Yeah, they gave it to me with an empty tank.

Last edited:

yosoydan

Ready to race!
To wait that long, man, you got some next level patience! No gas in the tank though, I'd kindly ask them to pay for 2 fill-ups. Sheesh!

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
My brother came down from Maine today and we spent a little time installing a few tidbits.

The Boomba shift bracket went in first and was super easy as promised. Went for a quick test drive and the reviews saying it cleans things up are very accurate. Crisp and quick, well worth the price. I didn't beat the popcorn but it was still a five-minute job.

Boomba's weighted shift knob went in next and was just as simple. Some care needs to be taken to make sure the stitching on the shift boot doesn't unravel when removing the stock knob, be advised. Again, went for a test drive to try it out. I like it. I like it a lot. It'll take a little getting used to as it's pretty easy to miss neutral but I can definitely recommend a weighted knob in general.

The JB4 that was briefly on the market is no more. As one astute member PM'd me, how was I sure it worked if I had never installed it? Fair point, so we did that next. Much swearing was done over plug D and the firewall grommet, but we managed to get it done. I pulled the battery because I was all done with fiddling around in tiny spaces at that point. Sure enough, when I started the car the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree. With the exception of a cruise control error, everything went away quickly, and that one was gone after restarting the car.

Off to Best Buy to pick up a USB adapter, then hooked up my phone and hit the highway. It was quiet so I was able to get in two 30 MPH 3rd gear pulls, see below. I have no idea what any of this means and will be adding them to the JB4 thread, but I can say it was a remarkable difference. The JB4 is now off the market.

Log 1

Log 2

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Also, I apologize for a lack of pictures but nothing I've done is outside the norm in this community. I also realize calling this a build thread is a trigger for some people. If that's you, my deepest apologies. I have not, in fact, built my MK7 GTI from the ground up. There's a 100% chance you haven't either. Nor have I, or am I likely to break new ground on the platform. Please don't hunt me down and attempt to break my legs; my resident attack kitties will kill you and eat your soft bits, and no-one wants that. That's a pile of paperwork I'm not interested in filling out. Read it or don't, enjoy it for what it is.

A build thread.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
The US Millworks plate bracket went on yesterday. It was stupid simple, and fit and finish are very nice. I have new plates on the way which is good because mine aren't quite flat and it's bugging me. When it was mounted on the bumper it wasn't noticeable but without the frame surround the corners don't sit flush.

I also need to play with the positioning a bit to see where I like it best.

Last edited:

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I have an appointment to have the car coated by Justin at Final Inspection Auto Detailing on May 20th. It takes a couple of days but he should have it back to me by the end of the weekend, it'll be nice to have that finished.

I'm also going to have tint done by TintWorks in Billerica, MA as soon as I can figure out a good time. Work has me going to DC for a few days next week so that's out. They come highly recommended, have won national awards, and the gentleman who answered my questions knew all about the tiny front windows without me having to ask. No problem, says they've done a bunch of GTI's and can handle the windows.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I made a few VCDS tweaks to get things the way I like them, nothing major. Auto rain closing, DRL's on with indicators, KESSY window operation, and convenience blinking from 3 to 5.

It's the little things in life.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
DEAuto reverse LED reverse lights were ordered and came in this week, popped them in this morning. Even in daylight there's a remarkable difference. Looking forward to seeing the effect at night.

Last edited:

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Thank God my girlfriend loves me for who I am. We've been talking about rings and then I go buying crap for the car instead on a weekly basis.

JB4 is sold, Cobb is due on Tuesday. Plug D is a bitch. I don't know how I'm going to survive on stock power for four whole days.

MAP downpipe is paid for and will get here when it gets here. Ian is the man and shipped the Cobb in advance. I offered to pay shipping to split them up and he got it done on his own. I cannot express enough how much his customer service impresses me and MAP has made a long-term customer. I owe that guy a beer.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Thank God my girlfriend loves me for who I am. We've been talking about rings and then I go buying crap for the car instead on a weekly basis.

JB4 is sold, Cobb is due on Tuesday. Plug D is a bitch. I don't know how I'm going to survive on stock power for four whole days.

MAP downpipe is paid for and will get here when it gets here. Ian is the man and shipped the Cobb in advance. I offered to pay shipping to split them up and he got it done on his own. I cannot express enough how much his customer service impresses me and MAP has made a long-term customer. I owe that guy a beer.
Ditto on stock power. I had to take mine in for the suction pump recall, so was at stock power for 1 whole day. Not sure if I could survive that x4. Especially over the weekend! So nice to just plug in and flash whenever. No more dealing with plugs! And no TD1 uninstalling the Cobb. So far, so good.

Ditto on Ian too. He's awesome. :D

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Ps. If you don't have one, be sure to get a battery charger while you're waiting for the AP. Takes a good half hour, and you don't want to brick your ecu.

Pps. Your dash will light up with all sorts of crazy shit. I'd never flashed a car before, so it kinda freaked me out a bit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk